Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LINGARD - Anyone else notice that we've become even worse since he's has arrived?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Should've had one against Barnsley as well, completely put it on a plate for Leo about 10 yards out.

Yes, agree and it should be said that you pointed this out earlier.
But the big question is, and this thread is illustrative of it: why do so many on NSC get so much so badly wrong?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
But the big question is, and this thread is illustrative of it: why do so many on NSC get so much so badly wrong?

I think it may be 'Match of the day syndrome' in that on the highlights show you invariably only see the best bits - the best passing, movement, defending, strikes and goals. They don't show all the misplaced passes, shanked strikes, bad defending (unless it leads to a goal) and general poor play. When we go to a game we see all of that and then assume that our players aren't any good.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it may be 'Match of the day syndrome' in that on the highlights show you invariably only see the best bits - the best passing, movement, defending, strikes and goals. They don't show all the misplaced passes, shanked strikes, bad defending (unless it leads to a goal) and general poor play. When we go to a game we see all of that and then assume that our players aren't any good.

All true. To 'MotD syndrome', we might also add 'youtube syndrome', which crops up whenever there's a player we're linked to. As regards your comments, this is what I posted yesterday on a live streaming thread:

I'd much rather watch a live stream with no replays than the opposite, which is what we're increasingly getting from Match of the Day, and was itself pioneered by Sky Sports. This is where you see hardly any of the game, apart from a few events -- especially mistakes from officials -- that are replayed constantly and over-analysed by ex-players.

I've found him an incredibly frustrating to watch, particularly is lack of appetite for contact that has brought back unnerving flashbacks of Jake Robinson. But it's true I could have been focusing my irritation at Oscar's negativity on him, so I will look with fresh eyes on Saturday's bloody huge match.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All true. To 'MotD syndrome', we might also add 'youtube syndrome', which crops up whenever there's a player we're linked to. As regards your comments, this is what I posted yesterday on a live streaming thread:

I'd much rather watch a live stream with no replays than the opposite, which is what we're increasingly getting from Match of the Day, and was itself pioneered by Sky Sports. This is where you see hardly any of the game, apart from a few events -- especially mistakes from officials -- that are replayed constantly and over-analysed by ex-players.

Agreed. Far too many replays on highlights these days. There used to be an art to it - conveying the ebb and flow of the game. Now it's just the goals and talking points crashed together.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
4 assists since he signed?

He's not been mindblowing but he's done alright. He's certainly not to blame for our recent downturn. I think he's worth his place at the moment.

I'll tell you who has been awful since Lingard arrived - Ulloa. How long is the big man sheltered from criticism for?

Sorry Leo, never doubted you...

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He was good last night, one of his (and actually the teams) better performances. I've noticed that Lingard plays well when we win, and badly when we lose. I still wouldn't start him though, it must be within his contract to do so...

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Lingard definitely had a slow start, and benefited from being guaranteed a start each week. Whereas players like Lua Lua or March would have been on the bench on out the squad after those early day performances. Rightly or wrongly, we're now seeing the best of him which is great news at this time of the season.

Should put into perspective for some why Obika and Lita struggled to settle down in their loan appearances. They weren't necessarily shockingly bad players, given the consistent run of starts afforded to Lingard, we would have seen a far truer reflection of their abilities

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

I believe it's an early manifestation of a trend that will not occur in the population as a whole for many generations

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6057734.stm

Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said. Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What about our striker Agdestein, I believe it was part of his deal that he would get a game whenever fit. I'm led to believe that such stipulations are common and in the case of Jesse, Manchester United would want him to have game tme for many reasons, think your're being a little niaive.

When he moved to Inverness!

As [MENTION=1034]itszamora[/MENTION] has pointed out, we released Agdestein, and then he signed a short-term contract with ICT. There was no "deal" between the clubs.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We have earned fewer points per game since he joined than before, so the thread title has some validity.

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
We have earned fewer points per game since he joined than before, so the thread title has some validity.

What he said...one goal in ten games doesn't make him suddenly brilliant...that doesn't mean to say I don't want him to do brilliantly for us...it's just unlikely..

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Is correlation the same as causation?

Yes

cor·re·la·tion (kôr′ə-lā′shən, kŏr′-)
n.
1. A causal, complementary, parallel, or reciprocal relationship, especially a structural, functional, or qualitative correspondence between two comparable entities: a correlation between drug abuse and crime.
2. Statistics The simultaneous change in value of two numerically valued random variables: the positive correlation between cigarette smoking and the incidence of lung cancer; the negative correlation between age and normal vision.
3. An act of correlating or the condition of being correlated.

causation (kɔːˈzeɪʃən)
n
1. the act or fact of causing; the production of an effect by a cause
2. the relationship of cause and effect
cauˈsational adj

and No.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here