Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Hastings pier wins major RIBA architecture prize.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They won an award for tarting up an old building and making a large shed out of burnt timber:mad: Stunning!

I don't think anyone from Brighton & Hove can sneer at it. At least their pier was rebuilt, rather than being left to rot.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I've visited it several times while staying with my parents and I love it. Nice little cafe/restaurant that does an excellent fish and chips with some decent ales on tap. The museum/gift shop building is nice too and a good way to spend 5-10 minutes learning about the history of the pier/seafront. In general Hastings is definitely on the up compared to the grubby shithole it was in my youth.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've visited it several times while staying with my parents and I love it. Nice little cafe/restaurant that does an excellent fish and chips with some decent ales on tap. The museum/gift shop building is nice too and a good way to spend 5-10 minutes learning about the history of the pier/seafront. In general Hastings is definitely on the up compared to the grubby shithole it was in my youth.

I used to really hate Hastings but now find it a very pleasant place to visit. I tend to be in the Old Town/Rock-a-Nore area more than where the pier is but should take a look soon.

There's been a lot of down-from-London money coming into the place, I think, which in this case has helped. But also I sense that the locals have made a big effort to improve the fortunes of the town – a bit of civic pride can go a long way.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Been! Its a plank!:moo:

I agree far better to leave it as a rusting eyesore like this one

Brighton4.JPG

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think it can be both very artistic (and it is) but also a bit empty and 'crap'.

Glad something is there rather than nothing and agree Hastings has been on the up for a while now. Down from London money is quite a big deal but before that we had lots of Down from London with no money too.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I used to really hate Hastings but now find it a very pleasant place to visit. I tend to be in the Old Town/Rock-a-Nore area more than where the pier is but should take a look soon.

There's been a lot of down-from-London money coming into the place, I think, which in this case has helped. But also I sense that the locals have made a big effort to improve the fortunes of the town – a bit of civic pride can go a long way.

Absolutely. I have been here 13 years now and the town has really improved visually. It still has its problems -what town of 90,000 doesn't ?- but also much to commend it. If you have not been, I recommend the Old Town/Rock a Nore area with a trip up on the lifts - quite stunning.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Absolutely. I have been here 13 years now and the town has really improved visually. It still has its problems -what town of 90,000 doesn't ?- but also much to commend it. If you have not been, I recommend the Old Town/Rock a Nore area with a trip up on the lifts - quite stunning.

Do you remember the old clock tower, I have varied memories of it, until some cretins decided to set fire to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here