Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Not very complimentary from Soton

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looks spot on to me.

If you're a "get in and out" merchant, and many away fans will be, the Amex is a pain in the arse.

If you're a bit more relaxed about your day, the Amex and Brighton/Lewes makes for a great day out.

I agree with this. It is good to have a lowdown on getting to away games.

I think they have underestimated the virtue of the station being as close ot the station as feasible. It could still take 10 to 15 minutes to get to the station to seat (timed).

Away fans are missing the start because it is necessary to get to Brighton station an hour before KO and join the long queues. Anything less doesn't work now.

It is taking an hour to get back to Brighton station when the trains are running OK.

West Coastway trains can be too full to board, both ways. and sometimes trains are cancelled or delayed. This is my main gripe.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...ndResponseId=4&isOutboundJourneySelected=true

Last edited:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Seems a decent guide, harsh on the concourse front as I would say we have some of the bigger concourses I have ever been to, maybe its different in the Prem, as Arsenal, West Ham and Leicester have been fairly good.
Reasonable guide. I think maybe the concourse for away fans is a bit small. Also the train fare details are not quite right i think. As far as I know the train fare from Southampton to Falmer is identical to that between Brighton and Southampton so there wwould be no saving. Also doesnt mention the fact that there are free buses from central Brighton.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nothing 'uncomplimentary' there. If you want uncomplimentary read Adam Leitch (Saints' Andy Naylor type) in yesterday's Daily Echo - "Saints will be looking to take maximum points from Brighton away and Burnley at home, before some more taxing fixtures after the International break".

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Nothing 'uncomplimentary' there. If you want uncomplimentary read Adam Leitch (Saints' Andy Naylor type) in yesterday's Daily Echo - "Saints will be looking to take maximum points from Brighton away and Burnley at home, before some more taxing fixtures after the International break".

It's not though. I'd say that was realistic. Whether or not as a Brighton fan I agree with them isn't the point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not though. I'd say that was realistic. Whether or not as a Brighton fan I agree with them isn't the point.

I didn't claim it was UNFAIR. I said it was 'uncomplimentary'. Which it is - to suggest that a visit to play the Albion away is somehow not 'taxing'.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am outraged on everyone's behalf!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fair enough, hoping for another 3-0 stuffing!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is taking an hour to get back to Brighton station when the trains are running OK.

No it isn't. I can leave my seat at the final whistle and be back to Portslade in under 45 minutes when they're running normally. I can't recall rolling into Brighton station from Falmer a whole hour after the game unless its one of those occasions when they've been COMPLETELY banjo'd for some reason.

Saying it normally takes an hour is very misleading.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

It's also not realistic - Burnley lost for the first time away from home at Manchester City this weekend. Other than that, they have been to Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool and got results. Given our home form too, it''s not beyond the realms of possibility that Stains will lose both. Lazy journalism.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seems fair enough to me.

They can't be too critical about the location of a stadium though when their's is located in one of the biggest shit-holes in the country.

They are Southampton FC - where were they supposed to put it? Bath? Harrogate? Chipping Norton?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Just a bit emotive,... "middle of nowhere"???.... 100m from mainline railway, 100m from major dual carriageway, lots of parking for pre-booking,... not too bad really.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
wire-27279-1483971441-658_634x428.jpg

I've only ever been once, but St Mary's isn't situated in the nicest of areas I suppose. Typical out-of-town location for a modern ground. Oh, and its a crappy identikit jobbie as well. Could just as easily be looking at the Riverside, or the King Power if you changed the seats.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
They are Southampton FC - where were they supposed to put it? Bath? Harrogate? Chipping Norton?

Of course not - they put their stadium in the best place they could, same as us. St Marys is still a disgusting, toilet of an area though.

And as I have an irrational hatred of the scum, I will take any opportunity I can to have a petty dig at them thank you very much.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007

I've only ever been once, but St Mary's isn't situated in the nicest of areas I suppose. Typical out-of-town location for a modern ground. Oh, and its a crappy identikit jobbie as well. Could just as easily be looking at the Riverside, or the King Power if you changed the seats.

Its a 10 minute walk from the City centre, pubs , shops and the rest. Less than a mile from the station. Hardly 'out of town'. I would describe Anfield / Goodison / Stoke / west Brom to name but a few as out of town but certainly not this shithole. :)

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Not really any easier to get to and you wouldn't want to drink in the pubs in that area. They'd have queues just as long at the station if it was closer. Decent parking is virtually non-existent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here