Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

High Squad Numbers

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
49, 66, 70? 70! Madness!

Is James Tilley now the highest squad number to have scored a competitive goal for us?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I did not approve of these number what ever happened to 1-11

when did this change occur? It kind of makes all the talk of "we need a good old fashioned number 10" kind of thing a bit meaningless to a whole generation of younger fans. You knew where you were with 1-11.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
when did this change occur? It kind of makes all the talk of "we need a good old fashioned number 10" kind of thing a bit meaningless to a whole generation of younger fans. You knew where you were with 1-11.

Squad numbers started in the Premier League (Premiership at the time) for the 1993-94 season.

I think football league teams switched to squad numbers in 1999-2000 season though I think some teams including us had trialed using them in the previous two seasons.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Squad numbers started in the Premier League (Premiership at the time) for the 1993-94 season.

I think football league teams switched to squad numbers in 1999-2000 season though I think some teams including us had trialed using them in the previous two seasons.
Thank you, I should have guessed it was "premier league" related, all the worst ideas seem to be!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
From Wikipedia:

In 1993, The Football Association (The FA) switched to persistent squad numbers, abandoning the mandatory use of 1–11 for the starting line-up. The first league event to feature this was the 1993 Football League Cup Final between Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday, and it became standard in the FA Premier League the following season, along with names printed above the numbers.

Squad numbers became optional in the three divisions of The Football League at the same time, but only 10 out of 70 clubs utilized them. One of those clubs, Brighton & Hove Albion, issued 25 players with squad numbers but reverted to traditional 1–11 numbering halfway through the season.

I did not know this last bit!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One aspect of American sport that I wouldn't be adverse to is the way teams retire shirts and hang them from the rafters.

Sure it's still a pretty crap idea but it even then it still knocks spots off t-shirt cannons, fireworks, cheerleaders, goal music etc.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The PL squad should have 1-25 and then the rest of the players have 26 onwards consecutively

There should be no squad numbers higher than the total of the playing staff. "Brighton's number 83 had a cracking effort......". Stooopid!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Perhaps we should have a lucky dip one match. Randomly draw 11 and then play them.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
One aspect of American sport that I wouldn't be adverse to is the way teams retire shirts and hang them from the rafters.

Sure it's still a pretty crap idea but it even then it still knocks spots off t-shirt cannons, fireworks, cheerleaders, goal music etc.

Pedant alert!

North American sport...

I think it is a good idea-providing it doesn't get diluted. Most North American sports teams usually only retire genuine greats' shirts.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
From Wikipedia:

In 1993, The Football Association (The FA) switched to persistent squad numbers, abandoning the mandatory use of 1–11 for the starting line-up. The first league event to feature this was the 1993 Football League Cup Final between Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday, and it became standard in the FA Premier League the following season, along with names printed above the numbers.

Squad numbers became optional in the three divisions of The Football League at the same time, but only 10 out of 70 clubs utilized them. One of those clubs, Brighton & Hove Albion, issued 25 players with squad numbers but reverted to traditional 1–11 numbering halfway through the season.

No neither did I. Worrying really, l would have thought l'd remembered.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
From Wikipedia:

No neither did I. Worrying really, l would have thought l'd remembered.

Could be #FakeNews....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here