Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why children 'should be banned from heading footballs' - Dr Grey

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As unpopular and PC as saying this may sound (except to the erudite DKM), I would definitely restrict heading the ball, for kids at least. Or mandate Petr Cech-style headgear to soften the impact. As a youth ref and former coach, I often flinch at the force of impact on young, growing brains by towering balls headed along. When 13 and 14 year-olds play with a full-size and sometimes "heavy" ball (if wet), and in an era when concussions are becoming acknowledged as a real career-threatener, some headers are the same as a haymaker to the head especially if not headed "right".

It may be a few that are ever affected, but what if it was your son?

There may only be 23 posts a year - but when they arrive they are worth the wait. Aloha.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Children's rugby is a 7 a side non-contact sport without scrums, lineouts etc and kicking (place or from hand) until the kids are aged eight. These restrictions are gradually relaxed until they're operating full team and rules (I think) at age 14. Back in the 1990's (when I was last involved with Mini/Junior rugby) lead coaches for each age group had to be formally qualified, most of the coaches were trained 1st aiders and each kid/player was insured; this was insisted upon by the RFU.

My lad played both rugby and football, and rugby was light years ahead on how the rules are introduced appropriate to the age.

You do have to remember though that a conurbation like Brighton and Hove supports two clubs (are there more than Brighton and Hove clubs - maybe Shoreham might count) with junior sections so that is say 60 kids per age group across the entire city - whereas look at the numbers playing football. It is no excuse, but being linked to a adult club does allow better organisation and facilities.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
There are far too many bans with regard to children already. It would surely be easier, simpler, quieter and much more economical to just ban children. This would also have saved us the painful sight of a boy at the Amex wearing a Liverpool shirt. :mad:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Ban the ball going over head height in young children's football. It'll encourage pass and move football and developing technique, rather than hoofing it up to the big, strong kid up top.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Leather footballs all soggy and five times the weight of footballs nowadays. I remember heading one of these still today from over 50 years ago.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Leather footballs all soggy and five times the weight of footballs nowadays. I remember heading one of these still today from over 50 years ago.

How many of us can say we never headed a medicine ball during PE when the teacher wasn't looking ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ban the ball going over head height in young children's football. It'll encourage pass and move football and developing technique, rather than hoofing it up to the big, strong kid up top.

Don't be silly.

The big, strong kid (with the really long kick) plays at the back. The fast kid goes up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here