Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Two very average keepers signed. Premier league quality ? I have major doubts.

Are you seriously still moaning? Last season you basically said after two games that Ryan would go down as our worst ever signing. You were proved spectacularly wrong yet a year on you are moaning about the same combination of goalkeeping coach and scouts signing two new keepers. I agree, on the face of it, that these don't sound great signings but why not give them both a chance rather than moaning before either of them have even played a friendly for us? I trust the judgement of Ben Roberts (who has worked with both before) and our scouting team (certainly a lot more than your judgement, my judgement and that of Fulham and Sunderland fans).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two very average keepers signed. Premier league quality ? I have major doubts.
What's the problem? We had two back up keepers who decided, for their own very good reasons, to move on; they had to be replaced. We've got two decent experienced journeymen, who Roberts can and will work with. Really wouldn't expect us to blow the whole transfer budget on more expensive keepers - and probably Cortois and Pickford wouldn't come here anyway.

In August/Sept last year, loads of NSC'ers wrote off Ryan as a joke. A lot of us lamented the departure of Stockdale.
My instinct is to trust the transfer business quartet, and the deep analysis carried out before making moves. They've had a good run of getting most decisions right.
Exactly.

Well i hope you are right. I cannot see us paying 4 million either for Button to be number 2/3. Just can't see it.
I think you'll find we just have...................

I understand your enthusiasm for Walton, but I have a sneaking suspicion Sanchez is going to hit the first team before Walton.
I think you may be right. Admittedly I've seen more of Sanchez than of Walton, but he has been very impressive whenever I've seen him.

Well you are wrong Steve. Walton has already hit the first team
Not as the first choice, no.1 GK he hasn't. Walton will have to be on his mettle if he is to avoid being overtaken - and of course, he might just do that - it's wonderful we've got such competition amongst our young GKs. Looking forward to an occasional short trip to Nailsworth to see how our young lad is getting on at FGR too.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
In The Standard yesterday (Tuesday) , they quoted the fee paid by Albion for Button as £300K.

If that is true then BHA have been very shrewd. Steele on a free and Button 300k

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Worth that just to get two more HGPs on board.

It is and both keepers tied down for 3 years. Both know they won't be number 1 either unless they prove otherwise. Both seem happy with that.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
No mention of the Button deal unless i skipped passed it

88e7ca5e9578e7ddab134990a92587aa.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports