Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Agents in non league

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just read in Mid Sussex times that manager of Burgess Hill is in conversation with Agents about a couple of players. Find it hard to take in that players in these leagues have agents. I played at this level in my youth and got a contribution towards my petrol. Would not of been happy to give 10% of that to an agent.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Players at Bognor, Worthing, Burgess Hill, Eastbourne Boro and Whitehawk can easily earn about £150-£200 a week. In some cases a lot more.

However I would suggest agents at that level are few and far between, maybe some younger players being signed up to agents in case a club further up comes calling. Im sure Solly would have had an agent at Lewes.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Players at Bognor, Worthing, Burgess Hill, Eastbourne Boro and Whitehawk can easily earn about £150-£200 a week. In some cases a lot more.

In some cases a hell of a lot more than that! Heard of some "star" players on £800+ a week in National League South. Wasn't that idiot running Billericay Town paying Jake Robinson over £1000 a week?

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
It is not unusual for players at Level 9 to have an agent, at Level 6 it will be unusual to find a player without one.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When I used to watch Junior playing County League 1 at Worthing United I always said to the entrance person demanding £5 I was his agent, worked every time to get in free

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

However I would suggest agents at that level are few and far between, maybe some younger players being signed up to agents in case a club further up comes calling. Im sure Solly would have had an agent at Lewes.

Former Albion player Robert Codner, no less.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Mate at works brother used to play Non League. he has an agent and has just signed for a club in league 1.

Quite a few have them apparently. I questioned when I heard that his agent had been round all weekend. I would assume that the Agents use a scatter gun approach knowing that they won't get much money from most players but the odd few that break through to league football will have a clause saying they have to stay for X amount of years.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Lots of players at step 5 (county league one in old money) have agents these days.

The big spenders even at that level will have a playing budget of £2k+ a week.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lots of players at step 5 (county league one in old money) have agents these days.

The big spenders even at that level will have a playing budget of £2k+ a week.

Fair enough if players have to take time off work to travel/play (eg Lewes, Bognor) but paying players in the county league is just money pi**ed down the drain. The standard is very average.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
When I used to watch Junior playing County League 1 at Worthing United I always said to the entrance person demanding £5 I was his agent, worked every time to get in free

£5? Do you need it more than the clubs? What do you pay for?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
'Agent' seems to be the emotive word, when actual fact it is the silly money that has seeped into local amateur football for nearly a generation, agents are just the consequence of that and not the cause.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I went to games at Whitehawk,and Burgess Hill last season. Standard poor and not much more then 200 there. Assume if they are paying these wages they are in debt.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would think that the agents are acting for ex league players just released by their clubs. eg Dean Cox Rohan Ince etc.

Can't leave your hate for Ince alone can you?

He maybe without a club for a whole 5 days but he has played over 160 games mainly in the Championship, then L1. He only 25 ffs.

He's played many more games than many his age and damned sure he'll play a lot more.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Fair enough if players have to take time off work to travel/play (eg Lewes, Bognor) but paying players in the county league is just money pi**ed down the drain. The standard is very average.

Can't really comment on the Sussex league currently as the only time I see those sides now is in the Sussex Senior Cup(s) however SCEFL (what was the Kent league) the standard is far from average IMO.

Crowborough who's troubles have been well documented this summer had a side full of players that had come from and consequently gone back to higher standard of football (Jack Walder, Sam Crabb, Henry Muggeridge, Zac Attwood, Dan Perry, Phil Appia).

But you are right its crazy money to be spending at that level of football.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Can't really comment on the Sussex league currently as the only time I see those sides now is in the Sussex Senior Cup(s) however SCEFL (what was the Kent league) the standard is far from average IMO.

Crowborough who's troubles have been well documented this summer had a side full of players that had come from and consequently gone back to higher standard of football (Jack Walder, Sam Crabb, Henry Muggeridge, Zac Attwood, Dan Perry, Phil Appia).

But you are right its crazy money to be spending at that level of football.

There has always been money swilling around in non league, I remember talking to a Lewes director back in the late 80's he was/is a smashing fella and I think is still a honoury something or other and he was lamenting the money a new crop of Lewes players seemed to be recieving at the time.

I knew he had played and I asked him if he had recieved any 'expenses' back in the 50's when he was in his pomp, he cited that when Lewes played Newhaven there were special trains laid on and the crowds were in the 1000's, he later conceded that there would be the equivilant of his lost Saturdays wages in his boot before kick off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here