Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's going to be Hughton isn't it...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I personally don't rate Hughton....he's an ok no.2 but not what we need & I feel sure he'd take us down. However he fits Bloom's stable introverted type so I'll not be surprised if he makes the same mistake again....shame, I was almost thinking about renewing as well! :(

Oh, you mean stable and introverted like Gus

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just remember his brother Henry's horrific challenge on Gerry Ryan - career ending and crippling.... Guess I need to get over it, but I can't.......!!

Amazingly Gerry Ryan has. He was asked about it at one of Kerry Mayo's testimonial do's. He said he didn't hold any grudges.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Amazingly Gerry Ryan has. He was asked about it at one of Kerry Mayo's testimonial do's. He said he didn't hold any grudges.

Henry Hughton was best man at Gerry Ryan's wedding - so I imagine he doesn't bear any grudges at all! (despite the fact that Hughton's tackle ended Ryan's career and broke his leg in three separate places).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Henry Hughton was best man at Gerry Ryan's wedding - so I imagine he doesn't bear any grudges at all! (despite the fact that Hughton's tackle ended Ryan's career and broke his leg in three separate places).

Christ Hughton used to room share with Gerry for the ROI games.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I very rarely comment on new manager threads, but in this case I will, out of all the possibilities being put in the frame I do hope it is Chris Hughton, I think he has the know how to get us out of the dire mess we are in, he also has some good contacts with regards to bringing in players, even if they are short term loans.

whoever it is will have an interesting and hard job to contend with, but I'm confident we will stay up.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
If it is Hughton i would be happy.
Maybe not my 1st choice but
Experience? Yes
Knows the league? Yes. Previously well backed but his teams in this league have finished 1st and 4th
Someone that will steady the ship? Yes

Right now i could not care how we play the rest if this season. If its dull so be it. As long as we are 21st of higher at the end of the season i would be delighted.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I am very 'meh' about Chris Hughton - nice guy, could do a reasonable job, but not someone to get passionate about. And reports suggest the football will be dull, dull, dull. And another manager lacking charisma (there seems to be a definite theme following Gus's departure!).

I would personally like to see Uwe Rosler - not quite sure what went wrong at Wigan this season, but proved himself at Brentford and lots of positive reports on his management style. I'm sure he'll end up becoming a top manager.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Pardew is rumoured to be going to Palace so there could be a Newcastle job available just to confuse the mix.

Sherwood to Newcastle
Pulis to West Brom
Hughton to Forest
Jones to Charlton
Calde promoted to player manager and DoF

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Good article that :thumbsup:

I'm interested as to why you made no mention of Uwe Rosler though. Do you know something we don't?

Granted, he's probably no more than a very long shot, and he wouldn't be a 'plan b' as such, more of a continued 'plan a' gamble, but I thought he'd be a name chucked in there just to add a bit more flavour and give us another angle to think about - what with the very different current fortunes of Brentford and Wigan.

Agreed - I think Rosler would actually be a very good fit for us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pardew to Palace would be by choice not sacked as they beat Everton today not sure Forest will sack Pearce perhaps another couple of defeats could change that.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I thought Uwe won the job interview over Chris on Goals on Sunday,because i felt he showed more passion and spirit,although less tactical sense.......

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hughton is a totally depressing appointment, this appointment is as much about getting bums on seats as much as getting us out of the shit. Hughton will fail on both counts. If pullis and Sherwood are out of the running I would rather McDermott or Rosler. Hughton had a squad he could not fail with in my opinion at Newcastle and Birmingham, McDermott made that Reading side and had Leeds top 10 before the idiot chairman took over there. So it's McDermott or rosler for me both far more interesting than the dullard Hughton.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hughton is a totally depressing appointment, this appointment is as much about getting bums on seats as much as getting us out of the shit. Hughton will fail on both counts. If pullis and Sherwood are out of the running I would rather McDermott or Rosler. Hughton had a squad he could not fail with in my opinion at Newcastle and Birmingham, McDermott made that Reading side and had Leeds top 10 before the idiot chairman took over there. So it's McDermott or rosler for me both far more interesting than the dullard Hughton.

McDermott it scouting for Arsenal and has said he will honour his commitment to see this season out with them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Hughton did well at Newcastle and seemed to have a good affinity with the dressing room, not a bad attribute.

Talking to Norwich fans they agree that Hughton was a solid and decent, if rather uninspiring manager with a preference for parking the bus and looking to snatch goals on the counter attack, often with a lone striker. It served them quite well for a while, although they also suggest he lacked a plan 'B'. This sounds rather similar to Oscar's style, which many of us would now happily resurrect, so maybe Hughton should not be written off. Even so I find his appointment rather unexciting.

McDermott doesn't get the juices going either. I'd like to believe his interview from a few weeks ago when he pronounced his delight at getting the Arsenal job and would not be looking for full managerial roles for some time.

Although I'm finding it hard to visualise Pulis at The Albion, it might make sense for both parties if he was brought in on a short term contract to extract us from the mire this season. Then appoint a more forward thinking candidate in the close season, who would better fit Bloom's model and equipped to oversee the development of the elite performance centre etc.

Finally although we need to resolve the situation quickly I can still see room for one or two more twists in the plot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hughton did well at Newcastle and seemed to have a good affinity with the dressing room, not a bad attribute.

Then again- to go by the tweets sent after he resigned- the same would appear to be the case with Sami Hyypia. The players could have said nothing, but instead, several of them were quite nice about him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here