Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Grabban

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I trust our owner and management, so if they wanted a player, I'd rather we got that player. I can't see how it can be good that we have to go for plan B.

I think it would have been a mistake. Albion owners and managers - even those with Albion in their hearts - have made mistakes in the past.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I trust our owner and management, so if they wanted a player, I'd rather we got that player. I can't see how it can be good that we have to go for plan B.

I would rather we get the right player at the right price. He may have been the right player but not at that price, be it the fee or the wages that were too much.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
This is a transition season out are going some for many reasons maybe they prefer a different style of play or management maybe the management want a different style of player.

We are having a great season when you consider the upheaval of preseason and the amount of injuries and at last we are just starting to see what a development squad can deliver.

We may make the playoffs we might not but the future is bright

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bournemouth told him that they didn't want to lose him. So he comes here and asks for our best deal. Then he takes it back and says to them, beat that and I'll stay. They say yes and he gets a big pay rise without the hassle of moving. You've got to admire him really.

This. I suspect, is more like the correct description of what happened. Without wishing to be wise after the event it always sounded as though this may happen and if we manage to get Mason he may very well prove to be the better buy in the long run, particularly if Conway comes with him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it would have been a mistake. Albion owners and managers - even those with Albion in their hearts - have made mistakes in the past.
Of course they have. I hope our current setup is better though, and I'm sure we'd do better with players that they wanted, rather than players they have to settle for.

I would rather we get the right player at the right price. He may have been the right player but not at that price, be it the fee or the wages that were too much.
Yes, I'm not suggesting we payed more than we wanted to - I'm saying it would have been good if he'd accepted the offer we made. I don't think we dodged a bullet at all. Had he played for us today, I suspect we'd have got something from the game.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If mason was to be plan B there is no way we will pay 2.5m for him as reported in the Arsegus so plan C is on the horizon whatever that may be

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If mason was to be plan B there is no way we will pay 2.5m for him as reported in the Arsegus so plan C is on the horizon whatever that may be

Mason was reportedly available for around £600k a fortnight ago , why has the asking price more than trebled ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Grabban's agent has played a blinder here , going back to Bournemouth and saying Brighton are prepared to pay him x amount in wages but Lewis would rather stay if you can match it , extend his current deal and alter the offer clause to a much higher figure.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Mason was reportedly available for around £600k a fortnight ago , why has the asking price more than trebled ?

Gawd knows ask the Arsegus ... 2m but apparently his wages would be more acceptable ?
Quote- Albion are expected to revert their attention to Cardiff's Joe Mason. He will cost around £2 million but will fit in with the Seagulls' wage structure

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gawd knows ask the Arsegus ... 2m but apparently his wages would be more acceptable ?
Quote- Albion are expected to revert their attention to Cardiff's Joe Mason. He will cost around £2 million but will fit in with the Seagulls' wage structure

600k was the loan fee. 2.5 million the transfer fee. ???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
600k was the loan fee. 2.5 million the transfer fee. ???
An online article by HITC (Here Is The City) said the money we got from Burnley for Barnes would be enough to sign Mason from Cardiff on a permanent deal. Even The Argus 4 days ago mentioned he was rated at about £600k. Cardiff City fan forums suggest he is also worth £600k.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
An online article by HITC (Here Is The City) said the money we got from Burnley for Barnes would be enough to sign Mason from Cardiff on a permanent deal. Even The Argus 4 days ago mentioned he was rated at about £600k. Cardiff City fan forums suggest he is also worth £600k.
finger in the wind stuff....who outside the clubs really knows

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Bournemouth manager insists that they haven't broken their wage structure with Grabban's new contract so I guess that we didn't offer him much.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The Bournemouth manager insists that they haven't broken their wage structure with Grabban's new contract so I guess that we didn't offer him much.

In that case I imagine we only wanted him as a third choice striker. No great loss. Let's move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here