Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club "investigating" dedicated train service to Manchester

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
They certainly were.

I'm sure Sunderland in 77/78/79(?) was about a tenner.

Mind you we did miss te kick off and go in the wrong end!

Pretty sure up unitl 1979 they were only about £5 tops. Don't forget the admission was only about £1-£2 too. Ah, those were the days.
I remember the Seagulls train back from Newcastle in 1979 after our promotion.... awash with alcohol and that was just the players!
Indeed! The fantastic exception to the rule. Mike Bamber gave us all free champagne and the players were only too happy to share their booze as well. A truly great day.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Euston to Manchester return, with railcards, generally around £35 if bought with Advance fares, so the only reason to use this service would be to avoid the hassle at Euston there will be that day with Palace at Liverpool for a 3pm kick off the same day! But no booze on the train means its a no no for me

What railcards can you use on London to Manchester train fares?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"Supporters are advised that alcohol will not be permitted on the train, in accordance with legislation."

What's the point in getting a train to an away match if you can't have train beers?

Maybe I’m being a bit dim, but what legislation prohibits beers on trains? I’ve been on numerous trains and drank my own booze and also bought booze from the buffet. I’ve never had any issue.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Maybe I’m being a bit dim, but what legislation prohibits beers on trains? I’ve been on numerous trains and drank my own booze and also bought booze from the buffet. I’ve never had any issue.

This, and all over Europe you can still get served after 11pm on the train.

It kind of implies that Brighton do not trust their own supporters, however probably just a stipulation enforced by the train company if your renting a train, which what they are doing.

You should be at least be able to drink on the bus for the rail replacement section between Brighton & Crewe

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Section 1(1) of the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol) Act 1985, as amended by the Public Order Act 1986,

1 Offences in connection with alcohol on coaches and trains.

(1)This section applies to a vehicle which
(a) is a public service vehicle or railway passenger vehicle, and
(b) is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event.

etc.

If you see the quote from Bozza's post above, it states "being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event."

A regular train service doesn't have that purpose. It was going from A to B anyway, and just so happened to be carrying footy / rugby / cricket supporters. A chartered train, on the other hand, does serve that purpose.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

This is the critical bit:

(1)This section applies to a vehicle which
(a) is a public service vehicle or railway passenger vehicle, and
(b) is being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event.

Obviously normal scheduled trains are not being used for the principal purpose of carrying footie fans, although it might seem like it on a Saturday, so the ban on alcohol doesn't apply.

There are very few special trains these days, so really only coach/minibus fans (and those going to Manchester on this train) who get penalised. A 1970s rule way out of date in 2018.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If you see the quote from Bozza's post above, it states "being used for the principal purpose of carrying passengers for the whole or part of a journey to or from a designated sporting event."

A regular train service doesn't have that purpose. It was going from A to B anyway, and just so happened to be carrying footy / rugby / cricket supporters. A chartered train, on the other hand, does serve that purpose.

So in other words, the club should hire trains to Manchester or wherever with three carriages for wives/daughters/girlfriends on a shopping trip and the other two for the rest of us on a piss up?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair enough. I’d never come across this ludicrous piece of legislation before.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So, sipping a beer on a regular train is fine. Sipping a beer on a train undertaking the exact same journey albeit for specific clientele is illegal. Stupid.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
So, sipping a beer on a regular train is fine. Sipping a beer on a train undertaking the exact same journey albeit for specific clientele is illegal. Stupid.

Blame all those football hooligans and Margaret Thatcher. Football fans are criminals and must be treated as such especially on coaches and chartered trains.

The above post may contain irony.

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003

Yes. The same as drinking a beer whilst sitting in your seat to watch a team sporting event where the players mainly throw the ball to each other - fine. Doing the same thing for a sporting event where the players mainly kick the ball - ILLEGAL!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

That's the way football fans are treated in this country.

You can drink yourself silly in the pubs before the game, and in the concourses at the Amex. But as soon as you see the big green field in front of you, it's verboten. Not an issue in rugby and cricket of course...

Same with corporate Johnnies at footy. The curtains are closed between the restaurant and the pitch view on matchdays.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough. I’d never come across this ludicrous piece of legislation before.

Probably because you've never travelled on an organised coach to a game. Anyone who has, and likes a drink, will be well aware - it's been the case for a long, long time. (They'll also be experts in making up their own bottles of "soft drink" before they leave home)

As football special trains are so few and far between then the law won't have impacted many rail travellers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Same with corporate Johnnies at footy. The curtains are closed between the restaurant and the pitch view on matchdays.

Although in my experience, which I'll admit is not vast, a blind eye is turned to corporate Johnnies pouring their booze into a tea cup or coffee mug and taking it to their posh seat, including at the Amex.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes. The same as drinking a beer whilst sitting in your seat to watch a team sporting event where the players mainly throw the ball to each other - fine. Doing the same thing for a sporting event where the players mainly kick the ball - ILLEGAL!

To be fair, I don’t have an issue with this as it stops people making me stand up to let them through to buy another beer/have a piss every 5 seconds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here