Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 Lewes Mobile camera

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you sure you have your East and West the right way round?

Yes, she said the van was parked on the grass (well away from the road), as she drove from Lewes to Hove for a meeting. In the 50 zone, prior to the Ashcombe roundabout.

The same place where another colleague was caught a few months back, also going westbound.

(I realise other posters are talking about getting caught going eastbound before the same roundabout. Perhaps the $$$$ Sussex Speed Partnership were made aware by the police of a new cash cow in both directions?).

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Yes, she said the van was parked on the grass (well away from the road), as she drove from Lewes to Hove for a meeting. In the 50 zone, prior to the Ashcombe roundabout.

The same place where another colleague was caught a few months back, also going westbound.

(I realise other posters are talking about getting caught going eastbound before the same roundabout. Perhaps the $$$$ Sussex Speed Partnership were made aware by the police of a new cash cow in both directions?).

OK, thanks for this. I do that journey quite a lot, and am still struggling to think of where they managed to park the van in that 50 zone, but I don't doubt you at all.

:facepalm: Not guilty of course - because I wasn't.

1).My daughter and I didn't know which one of us it was; it could have been either of us, and we genuinely didn't know. We asked the police if there was any way they could help us, with more details, to ascertain beyond all doubt who it was; they couldn't. It was definitely one of us, and 'don't know' isn't an option!
2).Read the sentence about my insurance claim again. Now tell me about the accident you think I had that I never told them about. There wasn't one. Try and consider the significance of the word 'first'.............
You think you don't have to declare the first accident??
Instead, maybe consider the significance of the phrase 'would have '?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A colleague was caught there by the van trap last Friday morning, going westbound just east of the Ashcombe (Kingston) roundabout.

Apparently going 70, so not expecting an offer of the speed awareness course.

The authorities never used to patrol that patch, so they must be minting it this year.

A mate of mine was caught two years ago there, so they were sporadically using the trap there. I have only once ever seen a police trap on that stretch, either way.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A mate of mine was caught two years ago there, so they were sporadically using the trap there. I have only once ever seen a police trap on that stretch, either way.

In previous years I never saw a speed trap there.

There have been so many accidents at the Kingston/Ashcombe roundabout (I don't know if they were fatal), causing colossal jams in both rush hours. Perhaps the police established speed as the cause?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In previous years I never saw a speed trap there.

There have been so many accidents at the Kingston/Ashcombe roundabout (I don't know if they were fatal), causing colossal jams in both rush hours. Perhaps the police established speed as the cause?

I said earlier on the thread that there was definitely a fatal accident about 10 yrs ago that led to the restrictions. It was on the eastbound side and I think was from a car pulling out from a side road, possibly a big house before the Kingston roundabout.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I said earlier on the thread that there was definitely a fatal accident about 10 yrs ago that led to the restrictions. It was on the eastbound side and I think was from a car pulling out from a side road, possibly a big house before the Kingston roundabout.

Eastbound, you're right .... in 2014 or 2015:

IMG_2894.PNG
IMG_2895.PNG

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The more I think about it I reckon I’ll be ok. I was in one of those cruising relaxed modes almost autopilot, thought to be a perfect driving condition as you tend to drive a lot slower and react better ie not panic. Being I was happily following a car in front and to definitely drop below 50 all I had to do was ease off slightly I think at worst I was doing 55.

Therefore I expect the notice any day soon ☹️

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You think you don't have to declare the first accident??
Instead, maybe consider the significance of the phrase 'would have '?

What first accident? There was only one, which was reported to the insurance company. There was no other accident that didn't get reported.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
A colleague was caught there by the van trap last Friday morning, going westbound just east of the Ashcombe (Kingston) roundabout.

Apparently going 70, so not expecting an offer of the speed awareness course.

The authorities never used to patrol that patch, so they must be minting it this year.
To be fair they can only put speed cameras in an area if there has been a fatal accident, told to me on my speed awareness course. They also said there was no such thing as the 10% error margin. Also people driving in the middle and fast lane and not moving over can be fined and points on the licence. One of the more popular moments on the course.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
To be fair they can only put speed cameras in an area if there has been a fatal accident, told to me on my speed awareness course. They also said there was no such thing as the 10% error margin. Also people driving in the middle and fast lane and not moving over can be fined and points on the licence. One of the more popular moments on the course.
I've done two courses and both said there was a 10%error. Had to because of inaccuracy of most Speedos. Also they can only put them in acknowledged sites with warning signs. It would appear that these courses are not singing from the same hymn sheet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Also people driving in the middle and fast lane and not moving over can be fined and points on the licence. One of the more popular moments on the course.

In my opinion they should be dragged from their car and shot by the side of the road then left there as a warning to others.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Had an engineer come in to fix one of my machines about a month ago and he said he had been done on the M25 recently where they had a temporary 50 mph limit, on the official letter he received it stated he was doing 51 mph and had been fined etc etc. So, maybe they have ditched the 10% margin ?

Temporary speed limits like this are bloody everywhere at the moment. Drives me nuts.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've done two courses and both said there was a 10%error. Had to because of inaccuracy of most Speedos. Also they can only put them in acknowledged sites with warning signs. It would appear that these courses are not singing from the same hymn sheet.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Or the hearer isn't listening properly.
I also believe the people who say they were 'only' 1 mph over the speed limit, and caught, are being economical with the truth.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Or the hearer isn't listening properly.
I also believe the people who say they were 'only' 1 mph over the speed limit, and caught, are being economical with the truth.

Wasnt a Chief Constable recently quoted as saying that the speed limit is set eg 30 mph and anybody in his area exceeding it even by 1 mph will have action taken against them Slightly OT but may be of interest to some on here but Sussex Police use a plain unmarked Black Audi 4x4 in that area as a traffic patrol car.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Wasnt a Chief Constable recently quoted as saying that the speed limit is set eg 30 mph and anybody in his area exceeding it even by 1 mph will have action taken against them Slightly OT but may be of interest to some on here but Sussex Police use a plain unmarked Black Audi 4x4 in that area as a traffic patrol car.

If memory serves me right it was the Chief Constable of Cheshire

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Safety camera van currently in lay by on A27 heading west just after the dip past the Hove turn off. Would expect they will catch a few today given the speed some go down the hill

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Judging by the location of these mobile cameras I would suggest that the answer and advice is to beware when on the A27 or A23 or there is the other answer slow down.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I know loads who’ve been on the course, who prepared to mentally switch off for the day with “blah blah blah” in the background.

But all came away saying they learnt so much, including very practical modern driving advice. One point being that drivers of manual cars routinely work their way up through all the gears, as originally taught. But because most modern cars are faster than cars from decades past, people drive in too high a gear for urban environments. The point being that people drive too fast, to justify being in 4th gear.

I took the course after getting caught at Saltdean driving my cab. The bit about using the gears properly - third gear for 30mph etc made sense, and does work as the engine is running at a decent rev count so you're not tempted to slip it into 4th to keep the engine running smoothly - but at a higher speed.
But this is in complete contrast to 'green driving' advice which tells you to get through the gears to keep pollution down. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here