Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Christians Against Poverty

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I love the names some of these organisations give themselves - Christians Against Poverty, Women Against Rape, etc etc. I mean surely you won’t find opposing groups which are ‘For’ such things?

Probably because their isn't a need or desire for one called say ''Women for rape'' :facepalm:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I love the names some of these organisations give themselves - Christians Against Poverty, Women Against Rape, etc etc. I mean surely you won’t find opposing groups which are ‘For’ such things?

For those things I doubt there are opposing groups at all (well, there are some sad lonely twats who might argue the second one). But when there are opposing arguments, both sides are going to go for positive sounding names; a negative name "doesn't sell"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If thats all they can afford then its not stooping low is it....have you actually any experience of this organisation?

I am talking about the person who arranged the funeral and then didn’t pay for it, or are you saying it’s ok to do that because he/she couldn’t actually pay for it so left the OP with the bill?

Yeah I’m calling that pretty low.

I have no experience of CAP but the offer of a £1.00 per month IS taking the piss imo

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am talking about the person who arranged the funeral and then didn’t pay for it, or are you saying it’s ok to do that because he/she couldn’t actually pay for it so left the OP with the bill?

Yeah I’m calling that pretty low.

I have no experience of CAP but the offer of a £1.00 per month IS taking the piss imo
Ignoring the individual who I dont know or indeed the poster.....have you ever been in debt to the point where thats all you could afford..probably not judging by it.....perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to judge if you had

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ignoring the individual who I dont know or indeed the poster.....have you ever been in debt to the point where thats all you could afford..probably not judging by it.....perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to judge if you had

I’d like to think that I wouldn’t arrange something really expensive that I had no means to pay for and probably didn’t intend to pay for and then expect the person who provided the goods/service to foot the bill.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d like to think that I wouldn’t arrange something really expensive that I had no means to pay for and probably didn’t intend to pay for and then expect the person who provided the goods/service to foot the bill.

Well we dont know he whole facts do we and I'm not defending that individual ..I got the impression that it was the amount not the actual person ..which is why I was aiming at the principal of the offer....you might have an example where someone had racked up debts with several companies...and the amount offered was proportionate to the debt..and that their repayments overall were quite high.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I can't believe nobody has said how "cross" they'd be yet.... :lolol:

Anyway, I'd tell them to place their £1 coin up their rectums once a month and forget the debt. You'll never get the money, and in 105 years £1 won't even be enough to pay for a sideways glance from our robot masters...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Send them a letter saying they’re morally bankrupt and perhaps they should pay the debt from their ill gotten wealth.

Could work ��

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You can rest assured that Icy Gull is correct, and giving the nature of the OP's work, to be shitted about like this is appalling, and to be shitted about by 'Christians' is outrageous.

Petunia

Living the dream
May 8, 2013
Downunder

Having read the opening post it seems the individual raised the cost of the funeral plus an additional £1000 on a Facebook Just Giving page. Had I contributed to the fund I would be pretty annoyed that the money hadn't been used for it's intended purpose.

I doubt the debt will break the OP but that isn't the point in my opinion.

Hugo Rune

Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

“Football lads for extremism” anyone?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Send them a letter saying they’re morally bankrupt and perhaps they should pay the debt from their ill gotten wealth.

Could work ��

What's wrong with going to the Small Claims Court [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Depending on how well your business is going, their action could force you to lose your business, putting you and your family out on the streets and into poverty. Doesn't seem very Christian to me.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What's wrong with going to the Small Claims Court [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]?

Useless unless the debtor has a job that will fund paying the money back in decent increments in which case that could be the way to go. If as I cynically believe he might be, he’s a chancer who knows the system it’s a complete waste of time. I am not quite clear whether he used the money from Just Giving to pay 2/3 rds of the bill and was left short, if so maybe he does deserve some sympathy. If he pocketed the JG money then he’s a scumbag and I suggest the OP has no chance of getting his money.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wonder if the £2200 raised for the funeral but clearly used for something else has also been classed as a debt to be repaid? Not doing so would be rather un-Christian I would have thought.

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
Anyone else had experience of them?

A client owes my company £1264.00 (Despite raising over £2,200 on a Just Giving page of FB*), after a period of time when I'd been in correspondence with him I got a letter from Christians Against Poverty, who, at his request, have taken over his debt management and offered us a pound a month, which will take over 105 years to clear the balance, and that's just straight repayment, no interest.

I don't wish to offend anyone regarding their religious beliefs, but clearly CAP have either lost all grip on reality or have never been in business themselves?

* Went to the Police and despite him technically gaining money by deception, the JG page was specifically for funeral costs, according to Sussex Police its now a civil matter, which we would have to pursue privately.

Going back to basics, it is only an offer. They will presumably be doing this with all the creditors. I think it is the same as what the CAB would do, and will be based, I guess, on the individual case. If you go back and explain the situation - particularly if it is going to give you grief - then they will have to live with that.

It might be that the only way out is bankruptcy or something like that - and that isn't me trying to portray you as the big bad wolf. These arrangements rely on the goodwill of the debtors. if you don't think they deserve that goodwill, the debt is still there to be sorted out.

Good luck!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Depending on how well your business is going, their action could force you to lose your business, putting you and your family out on the streets and into poverty. Doesn't seem very Christian to me.

I wonder if the £2200 raised for the funeral but clearly used for something else has also been classed as a debt to be repaid? Not doing so would be rather un-Christian I would have thought.

You are aware the service Christians against Poverty isn't just for Christians? Anybody can seek their advice, and it's possible the debt councillors have been deceived as much as anybody, by the debtor.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You are aware the service Christians against Poverty isn't just for Christians? Anybody can seek their advice, and it's possible the debt councillors have been deceived as much as anybody, by the debtor.

Yes, that is possible. But if the OP knows about it, I would think that they do to as it should have shown up as income for the debtor.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Going back to basics, it is only an offer. They will presumably be doing this with all the creditors. I think it is the same as what the CAB would do, and will be based, I guess, on the individual case. If you go back and explain the situation - particularly if it is going to give you grief - then they will have to live with that.

It might be that the only way out is bankruptcy or something like that - and that isn't me trying to portray you as the big bad wolf. These arrangements rely on the goodwill of the debtors. if you don't think they deserve that goodwill, the debt is still there to be sorted out.

Good luck!

God I do sound like a real cynic, but the only person who is going to have to “live” with this is the OP. However you dress it up an offer of £1 a month for 105 years is a complete pisstake, even if they are chancing it as an opening offer. It’s pathetic, much better to step away and have nothing to do with it imo. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound :nono:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You can rest assured that Icy Gull is correct, and giving the nature of the OP's work, to be shitted about like this is appalling, and to be shitted about by 'Christians' is outrageous.

One side of the story really though and I dont know either person.......maybe if you have been on the other side of the debt you might see things differently..anyway I think I'll stop at that before it comes personal, perhaps we needs a poll

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here