Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 7th birthday free shirt

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
This is an amazing scheme in principle, and as it's my son's 7th birthday next week I was really looking forward to the benefit of using his Junior Seagulls voucher to get him a new shirt.

However, it turns out
- that the voucher is only available for home strip (that's fine)
- and the home strip is the only kit we don't stock in age range 6-8

First of all, who made the decision to not have a home strip for this age group - but to supply every other kit in that size? That's bizarre.

Second, despite all the merits of the scheme, what is the point of an age-specific scheme, if you don't supply an age appropriate product?

Like I said, the scheme is fantastic in principle. This seems like pretty pathetic execution. Or more cynically a way to ensure fewer parents take up the offer - as my son simply won't fit an 8-10 year old shirt.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How bizarre.

My guess would be is that it is to do with the Nike kit manufacturing restrictions. The green kit is, I'm assuming, straight out of the Nike kit catalogue with our badge and sponsor then ironed on, whilst the home kit is bespoke-ish (someone who follows this more closely than me will undoubtedly correct me very quickly) and Nike didn't want to, or couldn't, make it in the smallest size.

The closest you can get is the not-replica-at-all kit: https://www.seagullsdirect.co.uk/kit/home-kit/18-19-little-kids-home-kit - and 7 year olds will have enough awareness to know that is not the actual kit at all.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This is an amazing scheme in principle, and as it's my son's 7th birthday next week I was really looking forward to the benefit of using his Junior Seagulls voucher to get him a new shirt.

However, it turns out

First of all, who made the decision to not have a home strip for this age group - but to supply every other kit in that size? That's bizarre.

Second, despite all the merits of the scheme, what is the point of an age-specific scheme, if you don't supply an age appropriate product?

Like I said, the scheme is fantastic in principle. This seems like pretty pathetic execution. Or more cynically a way to ensure fewer parents take up the offer - as my son simply won't fit an 8-10 year old shirt.

He'll grow into it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

However, it turns out

I think you'll find (I stand to be corrected), that the Birthday Shirt stock is different from the shop stock. You don't go in and grab a shirt off the rail, you take your voucher to the ticket office counter in the shop and they exchange it for a shirt. This is what happened a year ago at least. :thumbsup:

p.s. my lad was a smallish 7 year old, but still went for the 8-10, they're not that big to be honest.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
It annoys me that you see Palace and Chelsea fans at toddler age walking around in proper replica kits, but we don't do one. We do a watered-down version. Why? Surely that is a good couple of thousand shirts that the club is missing out on selling?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think you'll find (I stand to be corrected), that the Birthday Shirt stock is different from the shop stock. You don't go in and grab a shirt off the rail, you take your voucher to the ticket office counter in the shop and they exchange it for a shirt. This is what happened a year ago at least. :thumbsup:

p.s. my lad was a smallish 7 year old, but still went for the 8-10, they're not that big to be honest.

Have you actually been in the shop [MENTION=543]Rich Suvner[/MENTION], and asked?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
How bizarre.

My guess would be is that it is to do with the Nike kit manufacturing restrictions. The green kit is, I'm assuming, straight out of the Nike kit catalogue with our badge and sponsor then ironed on, whilst the home kit is bespoke-ish (someone who follows this more closely than me will undoubtedly correct me very quickly) and Nike didn't want to, or couldn't, make it in the smallest size.

The closest you can get is the not-replica-at-all kit: https://www.seagullsdirect.co.uk/kit/home-kit/18-19-little-kids-home-kit - and 7 year olds will have enough awareness to know that is not the actual kit at all.

Yes and the club won't substitute one for the other despite the fact my son won't fit the 8-10 shirt (for a few years i'd imagine)!!!

So I have a voucher to buy a shirt that won't fit my 7 year old. And will have to pay to buy him a shirt that does fit, and is stocked by the club for 7 year olds. I'd suggest that this a flawed scheme. If you don't have the stock for the age group, change the scheme to free shirt on your 8th birthday!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It would be good to find out if every new 7 year old suffers this experience. Anyone?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It annoys me that you see Palace and Chelsea fans at toddler age walking around in proper replica kits, but we don't do one. We do a watered-down version. Why? Surely that is a good couple of thousand shirts that the club is missing out on selling?

i actually like the Young Kids kits - without sponsor. My kids loved the ones I got them last year. Just seems strange that they have a product specifically for 7 year olds, and aren't including this in their scheme, aimed at 7 year olds!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It would be good to find out if every new 7 year old suffers this experience. Anyone?

Whichever shirt my son got fit him straight away. Probably was for 8 year olds though as he was tall for his age.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Have you actually been in the shop [MENTION=543]Rich Suvner[/MENTION], and asked?

asked the club via email and they said this:
Unfortunately Young Seagulls shirts are ordered directly from our supplier Nike, and we are only able to order one batch of one size which is 8-10, this size is also the smallest size that we are able to choose from when ordering our own stock. The shirts that we give out are completely separate from our club shop and like I say we only have one set of shirts that we are able to give out. This is in agreement with Nike too.

even though Nike have a kit designed for 7 year olds.
I asked if they'd be kind enough to let my son get the 7 year old Young Kids kit instead - so he could actually wear it. And they said no because of this bizarre arrangement.

i'm just amazed that we don't stock a home shirt for 6-8 year olds (as with other kits - accepting [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s observations above). That must be one of the most in-demand age groups for replica shirts.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Asked what? You can see on Seagulls Direct that the shirt for kids up to 7 is the "non-kit". The proper kit starts at 8-10.

first i asked why we don't supply a home kit aged 6-8 - didn't get a reply (this is a sales fail in my opinion)

and i asked if they'd be kind enough to honour the scheme and let him take a young kids 'non-kit' instead - but that apparently isn't possible.....

do i expect free stuff from the club? no
but if you have a well publicized scheme, pitched at a specific age group - i think it's pretty poor to not supply an age appropriate product.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
i actually like the Young Kids kits - without sponsor. My kids loved the ones I got them last year. Just seems strange that they have a product specifically for 7 year olds, and aren't including this in their scheme, aimed at 7 year olds!

I buy Nike team shirts for our U7s (so all 6 or 7) and we always buy Nike 8-10. My own son turned 7 last summer and the 8-10 shirt was fine, he's not big for his age either. The 8-10 is for 128-137cm height, which Nike also list as 'small boys' and in some cases list it as 8-9. The 6-7 is for 122-128cm, so it is only fractionally smaller, and I'm sure the club cover themselves that in 99% of cases, the 128-137cm shirt is fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here