Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert and depression

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Oh GOD no. What do you mean...unfurling depression banners ?? Honestly, just give the guy the normal support from the stands, the normal chants. We're not a "depression support group" or the Samaritans - we're just fans of BHAFC, there to support the team and the players at a football match. Knocky will get all the help he needs from his team mates, his manager and his counsellor. The best we can do is cheer him on from the stands - not because of his struggles with depression, but because he's one of our best players. Thats all he needs from the fans.

Perhaps just be more understanding of fellow human beings as we pour vitriol on them from the stands for passing a football in a direction we don't agree with?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
if this interview, the publicity its generated and this line in particular causes a fan or a a fellow professional to seek advice or help then this "public outpouring of grief" by AK will have been worthwile
"So I just want to leave a message to footballers and people in general, that as soon as they go through this, it’s really important to talk to someone and not be scared."

This....I had a mental illness problem and talk about it now I am through the worst. I went years just letting it build and then got into a paralysing loop of OCD and then pop. I 'mended' because people I got help. AK says in the article about not knowing what depression was , but once you have it you realise that comments such as 'get a grip' or 'man up' are not just useless but are actually insulting.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Don't be foolish. Depression is as much an illness as hepatitis or a broken leg.

Wow. Ever had a close friend or family member take their own life due to depression ? I’m guessing not.

You know what your getting when you see goldstone's made a post in a thread like this.

He's a troll. A foolish troll.

if this interview, the publicity its generated and this line in particular causes a fan or a a fellow professional to seek advice or help then this "public outpouring of grief" by AK will have been worthwile
"So I just want to leave a message to footballers and people in general, that as soon as they go through this, it’s really important to talk to someone and not be scared."

Get over it, goldstone. It's known as sharing and it's sorely needed around this particular area. Dealing with depression is a rough part of life and doesn't require a snide tit on a message board making light of it.

Comments like this are part of the problem, it implies you can do something about it and it will self mend. Surprised you didn't say 'man up'.

If you broke your leg badly would you just say leave it as it will get better or do you get it treated? If you have depression you need help. Yes some people just get on with it and some just can't cope hence the high numbers of suicides.

As [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] says, he's a troll. Try not to feed him. He adds absolutely nothing to this forum, yet is allowed to idiotically carry on with his WUM ways. Best thing you can do is block him. The less people react to his childish outpourings the more likely he is to **** off.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Legend. Hopefully as a role model this will help anyone suffering in silence speak up. :bowdown:

Agreed. I had a bad bout of depression 15 years ago and I was too ashamed to even tell my best friend. I was completely cr4p at my day job and was lucky to avoid the sack. If I experienced it these days I think I would feel far more comfortable being open with people and would probably recover more quickly.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Get over it, Knocky. It's known as life and it's made up of smooth bits and rough bits. Dealing with the rough bits is part of life and doesn't require a public outpouring of grief.

Legend. Hopefully as a role model this will help anyone suffering in silence speak up. :bowdown:

Agreed. I had a bad bout of depression 15 years ago and I was too ashamed to even tell my best friend. I was completely cr4p at my day job and was lucky to avoid the sack. If I experienced it these days I think I would feel far more comfortable being open with people and would probably recover more quickly.

Someone I was aware of (didn't actually know them) died recently. I found out last night that they took their own life and had struggled with MH issues for a long time.
They were young, talented and successful ..... I'm stunned.

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
As [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] says, he's a troll. Try not to feed him. He adds absolutely nothing to this forum, yet is allowed to idiotically carry on with his WUM ways. Best thing you can do is block him. The less people react to his childish outpourings the more likely he is to **** off.

Maybe he's depressed.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Utter cringe. All this super BHA FANS IS NAUSEATING

This with bells on.

Oh GOD no. What do you mean...unfurling depression banners ?? Honestly, just give the guy the normal support from the stands, the normal chants. We're not a "depression support group" or the Samaritans - we're just fans of BHAFC, there to support the team and the players at a football match. Knocky will get all the help he needs from his team mates, his manager and his counsellor. The best we can do is cheer him on from the stands - not because of his struggles with depression, but because he's one of our best players. Thats all he needs from the fans.

Absolutely not, the intention was to raise the awareness of a mental healthy charity, hopefully even Sussex based and if possible raise some money for them.

Men IIRC are one highest risk groups for depression and MH problems often due to not talking about it. Whilst we got 30,000 mainly men it could be a good opportunity to do something to help.

Really no need for the dramatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Absolutely not, the intention was to raise the awareness of a mental healthy charity, hopefully even Sussex based and if possible raise some money for them.

Men IIRC are one highest risk groups for depression and MH problems often due to not talking about it. Whilst we got 30,000 mainly men it could be a good opportunity to do something to help.

Really no need for the dramatics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Why not?

AK's interview / statement seriously brought a tear to the eye. El Capitano & CH deserve enormous credit for helping him through the dark days and come through the other side.

Great club. Great fellas.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I didn't really want to post on this thread because everyone deals with depression in different ways and Tony seems to have found a way to deal with his which is commendable

BUT - Maybe we should be careful on how we respond on here to it.

Now I have no inside knowledge on this so please nobody think that I do but one of the newspapers referred to the fact that he kept reading comments last year along the lines of ''he is just a good Championship Player and not good enough for the PL''

I don't know about anyone else but I never saw that suggested anywhere apart from NSC - It may have been stated elsewhere but if it was then it never happened often.

So again it makes you wonder. ''Does he perhaps dip his toes into NSC and occasionally read what's written here'' ? - I don't say that people should tip toe round him. After all, this is a Football Forum and everyone should have an opinion on whether a player is playing well or not.

However, if he maybe does read here, I think maybe we should be sensitive on what we post on the issue of his depression. Again I say everyone is entitled to an opinion on this too but perhaps just think twice on how some responses are phrased.

After all, what we want most of all is for Tony to overcome this and be a Productive Brighton Premier League Player.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That's true but I think the point the poster was making that we have no idea about what's going on behind the scenes. A player not performing probably isn't due to depression but it might be, or it might be something else they're going through - so it's something we should bear in mind before lambasting them too hard. I'd rather go a bit easy on a player doing badly who isn't depressed than go hard on a player who is.

These are all young men, who are under pressure to perform to their best every week in front of thousands of people plus the world's media as well as often being away from home and family. I don't think I would have coped well in my twenties with half that pressure - to be fair I didn't cope that well with none of that pressure.

Not saying we shouldn't show our frustration with poor play but we should be careful before writing players off completely - which just increases the pressure on them.

Also true. Whatever occupation. Nobody goes to work with the deliberate intention of performing poorly. Every player has off days or periods in their career whatever reason. They don’t have to explain why to us. We know they’ll go again next time. Anyone who, at the time, couldn’t link Knockys performance with his bereavement probably hadn’t had enough life experience or led an exceptionally charmed one at least. Even those of us who suspected he had depression, my point is no one should feel they have to ‘come out’ even if that’s the way the pendulum has swung recently.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Get over it, Knocky. It's known as life and it's made up of smooth bits and rough bits. Dealing with the rough bits is part of life and doesn't require a public outpouring of grief.

Obviously fishing but I'm gonna bite anyway. Having worked for mental health services in the past, this is the exact type of thinking that prevents people from coming forward about the serious issues in their lives that they're struggling to deal with. Have some ****ing empathy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Obviously fishing but I'm gonna bite anyway. Having worked for mental health services in the past, this is the exact type of thinking that prevents people from coming forward about the serious issues in their lives that they're struggling to deal with. Have some ****ing empathy.
Yep. Sadly it's always the same. Some posters can't wait to type their unsympathetic nonsense. Never mind, humanity is a broad spectrum.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I want to learn to be EDGEY and write COOL STUFF on the internet.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
It's amazing that he carried on playing football to the standard that he did after all he has been through recently. Absolute respect to him. As I've always said, one of my favourite Albion players ever.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I’d argue it’s increasingly normal. Of course plenty of callous employers out there but equally many just like the Albion who, naturally, you never hear about but really look after staff for very long periods of illness. Guy in my team a couple of employers ago was off for nearly 2 years. Put everyone’s company healthcare policy prices up mind...! ;)

We've certainly come a long since John Gregory telling Stan Collymore to cheer up.

Edit: Or at least I thought we had until I read that pathetic post from 'goldstone'.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

What a tw@t!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We've certainly come a long since John Gregory telling Stan Collymore to cheer up.

Edit: Or at least I thought we had until I read that pathetic post from 'goldstone'.

First half of his post was cras I’d agree. Take 2nd part on its own and there is some truth in that along lines of point I made. Can’t believe John Gregory said that, perhaps he should stick a seagull on his head?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here