Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Photographs of “Thatcher’s Britain”

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Haven't really followed this but if I get the jist I agree with him, which isn't often.

The media is achingly middle class and I don't mean white heterosexual male middle class.

From my experience the media as an industry does quite well in all forms of representation but the class issue is the elephant in the room.

isnt that a bit like saying people in football clubs are achingly athletic? its self defining, people in a middle class, professional sector are going to be middle class professional types. if you draft in a generation from a working class background, they are now middle class by any normal definition (except the weird one we have where class is defined by parent's occupation rather than own acheivement).

D

Deleted member 2719

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
isnt that a bit like saying people in football clubs are achingly athletic? its self defining, people in a middle class, professional sector are going to be middle class professional types. if you draft in a generation from a working class background, they are now middle class by any normal definition (except the weird one we have where class is defined by parent's occupation rather than own acheivement).

Agree. And moning about the media being full of media luvvies (and select termnology according to whchever axe one wishes to grind) is akin to claiming there are too few public school educated blokes performing grime. If there is an argument to be had it is very nuanced and, as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] said, context is everything, and the current political context is not leisurely introspective nuance (*cough* Brexit, dealing with Trump etc *cough*)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly, but you may have missed the context.

He was giving a speech to the Edinburgh Television Festival where the speakers are invited to talk about television, journalism etc..

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

You are absolutely correct. However as a politician he shold have given some thought to how his presentation would be received. It is of course an opportunity to make political points. Had Boris been invited he would certainly have taken the opportunty to slip in some Brexitty comment (and I dislike Boris greatly). Boris isn't naive. Corbyn may be cuddly and avuncular (or a terrorist sympathizer, take your pick) but he is naive to not realize how his presentation would be spun. And it didn't take much effort to spin it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You are absolutely correct. However as a politician he shold have given some thought to how his presentation would be received. It is of course an opportunity to make political points. Had Boris been invited he would certainly have taken the opportunty to slip in some Brexitty comment (and I dislike Boris greatly). Boris isn't naive. Corbyn may be cuddly and avuncular (or a terrorist sympathizer, take your pick) but he is naive to not realize how his presentation would be spun. And it didn't take much effort to spin it.

It's the Alternative Mctaggart lecture so would have been expected to give a "political speech".

What was he supposed to give a talk on - The Death of the Sitcom?

I'm no fan of Corbyn but this is very odd criticism. His concerns are no different from those held internally at big media organisations like the BBC. The Director General probably agrees with him.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If your going to link some pictures of “Thatchers Britain” make sure they aren’t from Callaghan’s Britain otherwise you look a bit silly!

Not your finest hour Nipple me old son!

Particular people on this board really are too keen to start slinging the insults. There you go, it’s back up as Thatcher’s Britain. And as I stated, as I took pains to point out, this was not a political thread I was merely repeating the BBC’s article title on a thread of some interesting pictures. The majority of which are in the Thatcher era as far as I can see.
Not your finest hour, me old son. [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] ? More like Turkey Twizzler!!

3535AF45-EC23-4BAA-AA2F-BEB2E35F2CA5.png

Last edited:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I think most folk have moved on from ghoulish jingoism. I think the armed forces were right to re-take the Falklands but I won't celebrate one single death, Argentine or British. A load of conscripted kids went down on that thing.

The cost of war I am afraid. One thing is for sure if they hadn't invaded the island in the first place no one would have been killed.

People would have seen it differently if the ship had turned round and joined in again.

The right decision was made at the time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's the Alternative Mctaggart lecture so would have been expected to give a "political speech".

What was he supposed to give a talk on - The Death of the Sitcom?

I'm no fan of Corbyn but this is very odd criticism. His concerns are no different from those held internally at big media organisations like the BBC. The Director General probably agrees with him.

Perhaps I am being unfair. Being unfair abour Corbyn is so moreish, though.....

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I’m passing no comment or judgement on Thatcher, just some interesting photos. Perhaps it’s the style but you’d think these were from slums in the early 20th Century. Interesting anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...g-photography-of-britain-s-social-deprivation

As an aside here’s Stanley Kubrick’s early photographs of NYC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...k-through-the-lens-of-teenage-stanley-kubrick

The 'mattresses' photo was featured in the Guardian's 'me in the photo' series; I remember something about there being a mention that one of the foremost kids photographed commited suicide afterwards.

Great shots anyway - I find the Kubrick ones somewhat mundane given the subject (and artist!).

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
To know define the Britain of any particular leader we really should compare the difference between the country at the start of their term in office and the end. That would make Thatcher's Britain the one that existed in November 1990.

In practice, however, it tends to be shorthand for defining a time and leadership at that time, so that when people think of Blair's Britain they are much more likely to think of the late 1990s than 2007.

These photos did include a few from 1978 though, which isn't Thatcher's Britain by any definition and does somewhat hint at either political motives or ignorance on the part of the editors.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
People with an agenda against Corbyn will turn anything he does into a negative.

Media against him. I remember a few front pages once as he wasn't wearing a tie for something.

Problem is the media are just relentless and peddling their Tory agenda but people just believe it as its the news.

Corbyn did well in the election with the media all against him. Imagine how he would do if given a fair chance.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Media against him. I remember a few front pages once as he wasn't wearing a tie for something.

Problem is the media are just relentless and peddling their Tory agenda but people just believe it as its the news.

Corbyn did well in the election with the media all against him. Imagine how he would do if given a fair chance.

*cough* antisemitism *cough* :shrug:

I would LOVE to be able to love Corbyn, detesting the 'conservative project' as I do (exemplified in recent times by Camermoron, 'Pettigrew' Boris, Gove, Rees-Moron and, pretty much all of them), despite one of my favourite ever MPs (George Walden) being a tory. But I can't. It isn't the media that's killing him. Its him. I saw how the media did misrepresent labour in the past, destroying Livingstone's 'fairs fair' for example. That said, maybe I was wrong to be cross as it seems Livingstone is a wrong 'un after all (with his childish comments about Hitler that only a moron or antisemite would consider not unacceptable). Corbyn is 20% below where a labour leader should be in the polls right now - because he is unfit to lead the people's party. Simple and sad as that.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Surely under Thatcher, the first you would think of is

View attachment 100017
Yes but the chap before her closed more mines yet she got the grief.
She was a leader that's for sure unlike the tripe we get now.
She's also getting the blame for the housing shortage but there's a shortage mostly because we've had a big rise in immigration over the last 10/15 years and that's not her thought.
Always someone to blame society!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here