Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The striker situation

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
YOU yourself didn't but Chris rarely has more than one MAIN striker on the bench

This is simply not true.

Last 5 matches of last season:

17.04.18 v Spurs - Ulloa AND Locadia on the bench
28.04.18 v Burnley - Murray AND Locadia on the bench
04.05.18 v United - Ulloa AND Locadia on the bench
09.05.18 v Man City - Murray AND Locadia on the bench
13.05.18 v L'pool - Murray AND Ulloa on the bench

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Maybe due to his fitness or more to do with how he plays Murray is very unlikely to be exhausted in the 90th minute. He doesn't often run, and never fast, so may not tire in the same way as others. He also has stages of the game where he is able to recover. Whenever there is a break in play he isn't standing around arguing he is already strolling into position for the next move. He doesn't strike me as someone who is likely to get tired and need replacing. However we could've needed to change formation if we were a goal down and trying to get something from the game. Therefore Locadia is a more sensible choice for the bench then Hemed

I think Murray puts one hell of a shift in and, this is even more the case now, given we've adopted the gegen-press this season, which was illustrated so brilliantly against United.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Locadia was covered by 'unproven', and just a little bit of 'unknown'. The rest of 'unknown', along with 'unfit' was for Andone (and I wish my ruddy spell-checker/corrector would stop automatically putting a space between the 'd and the 'o' in Andone!).

When the red line appears under his name with you have removed the space, right click and select add to dictionary.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I disagree................... Murray was having an absolute ''ball'' out there on Sunday. He caused them problems right up till the 95th minute. Their defence was terrified of him. When that the case you can't remove him from the field.

Secondly, it is always better to have a different type of forward on the bench. You correctly state that Tomer and Glenn are similar type players. We weren't to know the game would go so well before it started. What if we had gone behind and the Murray/ Hemed type of striker wasn't working ? We wouldn't have had a different type of striker to bring on to try and change to a Plan B.

We got it 100% correct..............That won't always be the case but in this instance Chris got it ''bang on the money''. He is not perfect by any means but in this game it was as close to perfect in terms of game plan and game management as we are gonna get this season

This.....he has struggled towards the end of many games, but not Sunday. He was giving the two CBs a proper schooling in old-fashioned CF play and having the time of his life.

Danny Murphy said something along the lines of ‘that was as good a collective performance as you’ll see from Brighton’ on MOTD2.

kjgood

Murray was just supurb against ManUre. He showed skill, effort, commitment and balls right through the game, his goal if scored by a Brazilian playing for a top club instead of some old nothern guy playing for 'Little old Brighton' would have been splashed all over the press. I listen to Talk Sport and for several days there has been this great who ha about how poor ManUre were and how they let us win. We won because we were the better team on the day and wanted it more, as usual they came thinking they just had to turn up to win.

Well Jose, 'Your boys took a hell of a beating'.................................... again. They were lucky last season against us at Old Trafford with a deflected goal and some poor finishing from us and of course that brilliant win at the Amex. its not luck, we beat them fair and square.

Jimmy Grimble

OOOH. For the first time ever, I'm actually going to DEFEND Jurgen Locadia!

I know the very moment you are describing, and actually, it was a decent bit of awareness from the overpriced Dutch bedroom DJ. The ball was passed down the channel, behind the United right back, but he realized he'd mistimed his run and would be flagged offside IF he engaged the ball or defender. So he rightly checked his run, and urged the next closest player (Kayal?) to chase it. It meant that instead of United restarting with an immediate free kick near the half way line, Young had to run back to his 18 yard line to retrieve it, then bring it out under pressure from Kayal.

Its not a GLOWING endorsement of the expensive tatoo'ed flop, but its the best I've got...

Tempted to defend him even further and suggest the pass should've been played a touch earlier meaning he would've been onside!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I agree with all of that and of course remember all of that in great detail SB . . And yet we’ve scored goals galore, had 3 of our most successful seasons ever mostly thanks to our efforts upfront. Incredible isn’t it ? What a terrible situation.

I thought the point SB was making was that we were at risk. We got away with it because we did well injury-wise. Not needing to use the cover and not having the cover are two very different positions.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought the point SB was making was that we were at risk. We got away with it because we did well injury-wise. Not needing to use the cover and not having the cover are two very different positions.

In the 2nd half of last season we had 5 fit strikers.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
And yet there have been numerous articles in the press linking free agents with PL teams before Aug 31st.

1 rogue article in the mirror disagrees ( including with other mirror articles ), and yet it seems to get almost mythical belief. ???

Regardless of the articles, we currently have Ben Barclay on our books who is eligible to be named in the 25 man squad and is home grown, therefore unless we loan him out we are unable to sign a free agent and add them to the 25 man squad. Rules prevent you leaving a gap in the squad and filling it at a later date if you have eligible players on your books already who are not named in the squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Regardless of the articles, we currently have Ben Barclay on our books who is eligible to be named in the 25 man squad and is home grown, therefore unless we loan him out we are unable to sign a free agent and add them to the 25 man squad. Rules prevent you leaving a gap in the squad and filling it at a later date if you have eligible players on your books already who are not named in the squad.
Don't these rules kick in on August 31st when the squad is finalised ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When the red line appears under his name with you have removed the space, right click and select add to dictionary.

Florin And one - correct and RH click - Florin Andone (with a red line under the Andone to warn me is not a correct spelling) - RH click again - Florin Andone - hey, it works! Thanks for the tip. I'll now be able to type the likes of 'Hughton' and 'Izquierdo' without that irritating red line appearing under them too! Cheers TG.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not taking anything away from Murray and his performance but he was helped by the fact that United played their 2 CBs wider than most teams do to cover their full backs which left the middle of the defence wide open. which suited GM.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He's not bad at heading, but I don't think his overall link up play is even close to Murray's, and that includes headed flick ons etc.

I think his hold up play is a lot, lot better, personally.
He's just not as clinical.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
According to Sky News , you can sign a 'free agent' until the 31st for your current 1st team squad BUT they have to be HGP , you cant sign an overseas free agent for your current squad until January

so the new rules made that as clear as mud really .... hopefully all transfer windows will close on same day soon (sure FIFA or UEFA are said to bring this in next year)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
This andone injury seems to be dragging on for ages, Naylor saying he is still yet to resume full training. Hope he doesn't turn out to be a permacrock!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This is simply not true.

Last 5 matches of last season:

17.04.18 v Spurs - Ulloa AND Locadia on the bench
28.04.18 v Burnley - Murray AND Locadia on the bench
04.05.18 v United - Ulloa AND Locadia on the bench
09.05.18 v Man City - Murray AND Locadia on the bench
13.05.18 v L'pool - Murray AND Ulloa on the bench

I never said never. He was chasing the final few points for safety and the last two he could afford to - We are talking about max 10/40 games you know well as I do it's not the norm for him to have 2 strikers on the bech

He usually has

1. Goalkeeper
2. A Full Back
3. A Centre Half
4. A Defensive Midfielder
5. An attacking Midfielder
6. A Winger
7. A Striker

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Don't these rules kick in on August 31st when the squad is finalised ?

They've massively clouded the who thing by having the transfer window close early but the 25 man squad not requiring to be finalised until end of August. It used to be straight forward, transfer window closes and squad is named the next day. We still had to name a squad and can make changes but this is to allow players to be sold.

So as an educated guess I'd say any changes to the squad can only be made with players already on the books, at the close of the window. It's only when there is no-one eligible on the books that a free agent can be added. That would be the closest working to the old system when the squad was named straight after the window closing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here