Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd actually understand it more if it was deemed a security risk, similar to fluids not allowed on a plane. Is there something they are not telling us?

I presume there is some specific 'risk' around a large metal container and the possibility of putting some kind of bomb in it or something

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I'd actually understand it more if it was deemed a security risk, similar to fluids not allowed on a plane. Is there something they are not telling us?

If it was a security risk they wouldn't wait to implement it. "oooh we perceived the risk but waited until we could get our Stewards to give out a number of similar half reasons. Sorry the incident happened while we were twiddling our thumbs"

Its all about money.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I presume there is some specific 'risk' around a large metal container and the possibility of putting some kind of bomb in it or something

MI5 recently foiled a terrorist plot to conceal a bomb in a tin of Alphabetti Spaghetti. They said had it gone off it could have spelt disaster.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"Thank you for your email and for offering your opinions.

In line with many other stadiums and other major venues across the country, we will not be permitting flasks, metal or glass containers in to the stadium for safety and security reasons.

We informed supporters yesterday, in person, and this will be followed by more electronic communication leading up to the Fulham game, to ensure the policy will be implemented as smoothly as possible.

Best wishes, Paul"

They sent an email before the game detailing no food or drink to be bought into 1901 or Dick's Bar. What on earth prevented that same email having information about flasks?

How is implementing the policy smoothly achieved through not telling anyone until they're at the turnstile?

I know PB is pretty good at his job, but electronic communication before the event is in my experience better than after.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"Thank you for your email and for offering your opinions.

In line with many other stadiums and other major venues across the country, we will not be permitting flasks, metal or glass containers in to the stadium for safety and security reasons.

We informed supporters yesterday, in person, and this will be followed by more electronic communication leading up to the Fulham game, to ensure the policy will be implemented as smoothly as possible.

Best wishes, Paul"

So, I understand then from this email that I can still bring a cuppa in but only in a plastic container. And soup would work as well [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION].

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They sent an email before the game detailing no food or drink to be bought into 1901 or Dick's Bar. What on earth prevented that same email having information about flasks?

How is implementing the policy smoothly achieved through not telling anyone until they're at the turnstile?

I know PB is pretty good at his job, but electronic communication before the event is in my experience better than after.

Flasks were allowed yesterday. People were just being pre-warned that this will no longer be the case from September, at which time I expect a corresponding email will be sent. Fairly good communication really.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Maybe due to the increase in acid attacks?

Sulphuric acid, which is the usual type used for attacks due to its easy availability in DIY stores, is sold in plastic bottles; it reacts with metals like aluminium.

Has anyone heard of safety or security incidents involving metal flasks or water bottles ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The bean-counters have made a mistake here, This ban will cause an awful lot of bad feeling. I can see that PB and co. would lose face if they back down -and I can't see them having that - so what about a compromise?

A lot of small restaurants that don't have a licence to sell alcohol let you bring your own bottle of wine, and charge a nominal 'corkage fee' for the privilege - they'll probably provide glasses for that too. So, if the club really are that worried about missing out on a few hundred quid of match day revenue, why not a notional charge for bringing in your flask - a quid per flask, maybe. That would amply compensate for any loss of revenue at the catering counter.

And let's get this straight once and for all. Flasks at football matches have never been a health and safety risk, and they aren't now. What next? Suicide bombers with exploding colostomy bags? - they would make a hell of a mess in more ways than one! Polo mints (could be concealing Semtex in the hole in the middle)? Just be honest and admit yes, the club wants a few hundred quid more matchday income.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sulphuric acid, which is the usual type used for attacks due to its easy availability in DIY stores, is sold in plastic bottles; it reacts with metals like aluminium.

Has anyone heard of safety or security incidents involving metal flasks or water bottles ?

I don’t know, but someone once luzzed their mobile phone on the pitch after that away game at Chesterfield in 2000/2001, which goes to show that when emotions are running high, people seeing the red mist will luzz anything.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t know, but someone once luzzed their mobile phone on the pitch after that away game at Chesterfield in 2000/2001, which goes to show that when emotions are running high, people seeing the red mist will luzz anything.

A mobile phone was once used as a missile 17 years ago? My god, this could happen again, any time. Please, so we can feel safe at football matches again, have bins by the entrances to put all mobile phones in. It won't be much trouble sorting out which is yours after the match..............though if yours is one of those super Omsing Umphones, someone before you in the queue might have preferred it to their own!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This is a financial decision, end of. They serve hot drinks which you can take to your seats and they wouldn’t do that if there was a safety issue with hot drinks. They also serve alcohol so the alcohol excuse is pretty flimsy too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This smacks of penny pinching and "computer says no". Disappointing but hardly surprising.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How many people will attend that and what influence do they have?

I'm not sure how many will turn out, but there are some very vocal people who will question the decision quite vociferously, including some who fought for Falmer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here