Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Old Ship / Stewards Inquiry on the Lewes to Uckfield road has gone on the market as a house. It has been gutted. As a pub was for sale at £500,000 but as a gutted house £1 million.
https://www.lewesestates.co.uk/property-for-sale/nr-isfield-uckfield-road/bn8-5rp/2241668

Yes, I was going to bounce this thread. Drove past it and saw the 'For Sale' sign. Still think it was done by a hobbyist in his spare time as it's taken ages to get to this stage. I wonder if they'll take down the pub sign now?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Not a closed pub but a name change.

Anyone know what the Ferry Rigg Inn in Shoreham was previously called?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

The Ferry Inn?

8B0E0F19-2151-4E20-8D79-3A4AC5AA39AE.jpeg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Mr Putdown is correct. It was always called the Ferry when I drank in there (early-mid 70s)

I believe The Schooner has changed it's name though (opposite the Crown and Anchor).

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The Schooner is still the Schooner. You might be mixed up with Pebbles on the Port which is now the New Port Arms.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Schooner is still the Schooner. You might be mixed up with Pebbles on the Port which is now the New Port Arms.

Hmm, according to google maps it seems you're right. Funny I could have sworn it had a different name when I went past it the other day. Oh well, I stand corrected.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That New Port Arms is shithouse now, I'll be amazed if that place survives. They've proper bollocksed up the patio furniture, dreadful immovable wooden benches and tables which are about as comfortable to sit on as Jacob Rhys-Mogg.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
There seems to be confusion about the Schooner Inn, Southwick and the former Schooner Inn, Shoreham (on the opposite side of the High Street) from the Crown and Anchor. The Southwick pub retains its name but the Shoreham establishment is now Suter's Yard wine bar. Incidentally the original Suter's Yard was a shipwrights on the opposite side on the road. I remember it being there in the 1950s.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There seems to be confusion about the Schooner Inn, Southwick and the former Schooner Inn, Shoreham (on the opposite side of the High Street) from the Crown and Anchor. The Southwick pub retains its name but the Shoreham establishment is now Suter's Yard wine bar. Incidentally the original Suter's Yard was a shipwrights on the opposite side on the road. I remember it being there in the 1950s.

Ah! I KNEW I hadn't gone completely Dolally! Thanks. Suter's Yard, that's right.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

I've lived in southwick for 38 years and I cannot remember the Suter'sYard being called the Schooner, hence my mention of the Southwick one. My memory is not what it was though, unfortunately!

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
The Swan in Forest Row has been shut a while but a notice has gone up saying its been taken over by the Hush Heath wine estate. I think they have a few pubs - intriguing

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Wasn't it 'The Schooner Inn, Southwick', which changed its name every few weeks, a couple of years ago?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The Pump House from memory.. at a guess that must have closed 15 years ago? Used to do nice food in there once upon a time.

It wasn’t Plummer. This would have been early 90’s, I was working at the Chalk Pit and on a Saturday match day I always had to leave the Goldstone bang on full time and run for the train so that I could make my shift on time.

The Pump house was only called that for approx last ten years. Before that it was ... can`t remember but used to drink there mid/late seventies.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here