Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Drowning under GDPR emails

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s ironic that from the numerous GDPR emails I’m receiving there are so many different approaches being taken - opt back in, do nothing, re state your preferences. I’ve even had one that says we’ll continue to contact you if you do nothing, implying a very light touch approach. It kinda defeats the point. They can’t all be right!

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Yep. I feel your pain and I have overall responsibility for delivering GDPR at our place.

Will make a final decision next couple of days about which approach to take for this particular element but given the wide range of approaches, I won't lose too much sleep (on this bit at least).

I found myself chuckling to myself on the train this morning. Sat next to a girl who had been sent a monster email on GDPR (Why do people open up their emails for all to view on trains?). She was clearly struggling to take it all in and ended up just scrolling up and down for 15 minutes. I felt she was clearly going to take the "hope for the best" pathway.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Will be worth it (cleaner inbox) in the end. Wish they'd do it every 12 months.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Everytime something like this comes along people set up companies and mostly scare people into doing it through them, they then take the money and close. Ignore them, just do a bit of reseach to see what you need to do,
I am a sole trader, i hold some customers details but i dont use them except for accounts, but i could call them back every now and again to see if i can help them, but i dont, i have downloaded a template that i adjusted to suit my buisness and put it on the website, for me i think that is all i need to do, it is probably a lot more depending on your company and what you do with peoples details.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Most of the ones I’ve received, even from the big companies, have actually got it wrong as well so will end up needlessly losing customers. The best I received was from White Stuff so might use that approach when I send ours out later this week

Yep. I feel your pain and I have overall responsibility for delivering GDPR at our place.

Will make a final decision next couple of days about which approach to take for this particular element but given the wide range of approaches, I won't lose too much sleep (on this bit at least).

I found myself chuckling to myself on the train this morning. Sat next to a girl who had been sent a monster email on GDPR (Why do people open up their emails for all to view on trains?). She was clearly struggling to take it all in and ended up just scrolling up and down for 15 minutes. I felt she was clearly going to take the "hope for the best" pathway.

I feel you pain X 2 :) - same here.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Right, we had a meeting today, I am going to give a very simple but factual example of how it is supposedly (not) going to work for us.....I build new houses by the way...

Scenario......Mrs White rings into customer services, her kitchen door handle is sticking and won't function properly...........At this point we would issue the defect / snag to our Carpenter for that site, give him Mrs Whites contact details (Phone / E mail address etc) he will contact her make an appointment and rectify the issue.....

What we were told today.........We (company) write (must be a letter as an e mail can be doctored etc) to Mrs White asking her if we can give our Carpenter her contact details, we also explain she MUST write back to us (stamped address envelope included in the out bound letter) giving us permission, a form is included as well...........we then forward the details to the carpenter who has to abide by her contact rules and hopefully arranges an appointment.

Now, Mrs Whites door handle is really not a major issue, as I asked, what do we do when Mr Brown rings up saying he has water leaking through his ceiling very likely to do with a copper / plastic pipe issue.......... After they looked at each other.......I suggested that maybe we used "next day delivery mail" as by then hopefully only the downstairs will be ruined!!

It is all bollocks!!!!! as is the anal claim world we live in!!! CRAP!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Right, we had a meeting today, I am going to give a very simple but factual example of how it is supposedly (not) going to work for us.....I build new houses by the way...

Scenario......Mrs White rings into customer services, her kitchen door handle is sticking and won't function properly...........At this point we would issue the defect / snag to our Carpenter for that site, give him Mrs Whites contact details (Phone / E mail address etc) he will contact her make an appointment and rectify the issue.....

What we were told today.........We (company) write (must be a letter as an e mail can be doctored etc) to Mrs White asking her if we can give our Carpenter her contact details, we also explain she MUST write back to us (stamped address envelope included in the out bound letter) giving us permission, a form is included as well...........we then forward the details to the carpenter whoi has to abide by her contact rules and hopefully arranges an appointment.

Now, Mrs Whites door handle is really not a major issue, as I asked, what do we do when Mr Brown rings up saying he has water leaking through his ceiling very likely to do with a copper / plastic pipe issue.......... After they looked at each other.......I suggested that maybe we used "next day delivery mail" as by then hopefully only the downstairs will be ruined!!

It is all bollocks!!!!! as is the anal claim world we live in!!! CRAP!!

And you've been told incorrectly. Email is fine just as long as you store it as is a phone recording.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
And you've been told incorrectly. Email is fine just as long as you store it as is a phone recording.

I have to abide by my companies "anal" rules as they pay my salary and you dont!! it really pisses me off when a reply like yours comes back as you don't work for my company, I gave all the details in a close manner but no....you know better!!!! .................whilst I appreciate you have an opinion on issues and facts and i think its clear as glass that I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS CRAP!!! I have to abide by my companies rules.......Hopefully you see that? ......it is a large national company by the way.........I will not change their ways.......

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have to abide by my companies "anal" rules as they pay my salary and you dont!! it really pisses me off when a reply like yours comes back as you don't work for my company, I gave all the details in a close manner but no....you know better!!!! .................whilst I appreciate you have an opinion on issues and facts and i think its clear as glass that I DON'T AGREE WITH THIS CRAP!!! I have to abide by my companies rules.......Hopefully you see that? ......it is a large national company by the way.........I will not change their ways.......

Wow .... I was only saying they have interpreted the new rules incorrectly. I know you have to follow what you're told.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Wow .... I was only saying they have interpreted the new rules incorrectly. I know you have to follow what you're told.

I don't know what you do for a living or who you work for, but my company do EVERYTHING in a "Belt & Braces" fashion as do many large companies, the more people they employ the far more chance there is of the rules being broken and yet again "ANOTHER CLAIM" which we just pay out as it is cheaper than a court case......Many larger companies follow this way.....do i agree with it? DO I **** !! We live in a stupid "Where there's a blame there's a claim world" and I HATE IT!!!! despise it!!! LOATHE IT!!!

A few years back I worked for Persimmon Homes (I don't now so anyone with issues or thoughts about Persimmon, tell someone who cares :thumbsup: ) I was the Regional Operations Manager...I went to court 3 times in 9 years....3 times we won....why? because I had all the honest facts right.....nowadays companies are way too scared to take on cases in court (unless they have to)
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] my sincere and profound apologies if my reply was over the top, not had a brilliant day in work....Sorry mate :thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Think we need to give Hitony a little bit of space��

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
It’s ironic that from the numerous GDPR emails I’m receiving there are so many different approaches being taken - opt back in, do nothing, re state your preferences. I’ve even had one that says we’ll continue to contact you if you do nothing, implying a very light touch approach. It kinda defeats the point. They can’t all be right!

Ok I've read the whole tread but still have no idea what a GDPR email is. Can someone explain?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here