Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Oh right. EU rules, then, is it? Vote the 'right' way, and if you don't, keep on voting again and again until all you stupid peasants who Brussels would rather didn't have a vote at all vote the 'right' way............

Isn't this a bit of an urban myth? No organisation is perfect but the 'second referendums' most often cited were in Denmark and Ireland. Both countries gained significant concessions after the first vote in order to address the concerns raised. These were accepted by the people. What is it that you object to?

You can't FORCE people to vote how they don't want.

larus

Latest poll data. Maybe signalling a re-balancing of public opinion on Brexit. (Note to angry Brexiteers: check blood pressure before looking.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43336351

You’re basing your statement on the ‘possible’ marginal change of based on people whe “didn’t know” last time now maybe switching to remain. And on this poll it’s 51-49. Please advise me oh wise one, what is the margin of error on this, and what was the margin of error on the opinion polls before the actual vote (and they were also in favour of remain).

1/10 for effort. Could do better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You’re basing your statement on the ‘possible’ marginal change of based on people whe “didn’t know” last time now maybe switching to remain. And on this poll it’s 51-49. Please advise me oh wise one, what is the margin of error on this, and what was the margin of error on the opinion polls before the actual vote (and they were also in favour of remain).

You raise a good point. Opinion polls across the world have regularly under-estimated the stupidity of the electorate. This does need to be factored in to provide better estimates.

larus

You raise a good point. Opinion polls across the world have regularly under-estimated the stupidity of the electorate. This does need to be factored in to provide better estimates.

Very true. Almost as stupid as the thickos who like to make predictions (lots of them) and constantly get them wrong. And the other thicko who stated that the UK was in a recession a few weeks.

On another point, I see that Vince "Mr Non-Entity" Cable has now stooped so low by accusing 17.4m Bexit voters as being racist too. Is there no depths that the Remoaners won't sink to? (No need to answer, it's a rhetorical question as we all know the answer to that).

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It did contain this honest caveat at the end: "This analysis piece was commissioned by the BBC from an expert working for an outside organisation."

Equally biased I presume. Both sides could probably come up with these sort of polls to push agenda. The BBC seem rather good at it knowing there anti Brexit stance

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn't this a bit of an urban myth? No organisation is perfect but the 'second referendums' most often cited were in Denmark and Ireland. Both countries gained significant concessions after the first vote in order to address the concerns raised. These were accepted by the people. What is it that you object to?

Calling it an urban myth looks like denial to me!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very true. Almost as stupid as the thickos who like to make predictions (lots of them) and constantly get them wrong.

I agree. And I’m as guilty as the next person for under-estimating the stupidity of the public.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't bother with a second referendum, too risky, we can't trust the GBP not to **** it up again. Just reverse the bloody thing. Yeah, a few Brexiteers will get stroppy for a month or two but it's for their own good. Kids would vote to eat McDonalds three times a day, doesn't mean we should let them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

hmmm, are you saying the EU should be giving us a number of concessions, to swing another vote?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I agree. And I’m as guilty as the next person for under-estimating the stupidity of the public.

Sadly all goes back to Mr Cameron who thought it was nailed on when he called it. Maybe he should have considered why none of his predecessors ever allowed it to happen. However the Genie is now out of the bottle and the divisions will go on for a while until the end result be it in/out - partially/fully. Then the proof will be in the pudding for the next generation of thereafter to decide. Who knows by then the EU could be defunct

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Well, my friend and statistical guru, I did write 'maybe signalling a rebalancing' which does kind of veer away from over-claiming anything. Thank you for my 1/10 and I'll defo try to do better under your tutelage.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
hmmm, are you saying the EU should be giving us a number of concessions, to swing another vote?

Not necessarily. I was just pointing out the facts surrounding second referendums.

But you ask a question. In response, I'm not sure the EU need give concessions to 'swing' another vote. Simply pointing out the truth that the UK can remain a proud and sovereign nation free to sell wonky bananas, fight wars and live with a crazy voting system while continuing as a member of the EU might be sufficient.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

It's a popular myth among those who don't understand that things are often changed and put to a second vote, or that public awareness of something is low but after a vote is held and the ramifications become clearer then people change their minds.

Indeed Brexiters seem to have a big problem with the idea people can change their minds about things in general, hence the denial of a second referendum being allowed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here