Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Missing a train coz a connecting train went belly up

Now, if the question was being asked regarding travel by plane I would have all the answers but on trains I don’t have a clue.

Tomorrow I managed to snag an amazing cheap 1st return on Virgin from Euston to Liverpool for less than £200 for 4 of us. We are booked on the 1003 out of Euston. If I was to buy these tickets on the day they would have cost £100’s more.

The first direct train to VIC tomorrow from Shoreham is the 0819 which is due in at 0930. Plenty of time for the 12 minute tube ride. But if it’s late or cancelled I clearly don’t have any other outs (unless I know it’s going to be late or cancelled earlier, in which case my wife will drive us to Brighton to grab the 0820)

My only other option from Shoreham is a train leaving best part of 50 minutes earlier which involves 2 changes and in the end, only arrives at VIC 10 mins or so before the one I plan to get.

I think I’ve already made my mind up to chance it, but I’d be interested to hear from anyone in the know.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Usually if there are delays on your first train and you can get a ticket inspector to make a note of it on your tickets then you should be fine to get the next available train from Euston. However, as someone who travels on Virgin West coast mainline from Euston every day, Virgin can be absolute c**ts when it comes to that sort of thing

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Usually if there are delays on your first train and you can get a ticket inspector to make a note of it on your tickets then you should be fine to get the next available train from Euston. However, as someone who travels on Virgin West coast mainline from Euston every day, Virgin can be absolute c**ts when it comes to that sort of thing

If you've booked it as 1 ticket - I.e Shoreham to Liverpool you'd be protected. If you have booked it as a separate journey then you'd be relying on a guard breaking the rules.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I'm not in the know, but if I missed the train I was booked on, and got the next one, I'd probably plead ignorance and hope the conductor was a kind soul!

I hate getting Saturday trains from my town as more often than not there's engineering work, and replacement buses - in which case you can say goodbye to any tight schedule you might have.

I'd go for it as you plan, and put faith in a nice smooth first train ride.

Thanks for that. I’m not necessarily going to follow your advice, but in my situation would you be comfortable getting the 0819 from Shoreham ?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Now, if the question was being asked regarding travel by plane I would have all the answers but on trains I don’t have a clue.

Tomorrow I managed to snag an amazing cheap 1st return on Virgin from Euston to Liverpool for less than £200 for 4 of us. We are booked on the 1003 out of Euston. If I was to buy these tickets on the day they would have cost £100’s more.

The first direct train to VIC tomorrow from Shoreham is the 0819 which is due in at 0930. Plenty of time for the 12 minute tube ride. But if it’s late or cancelled I clearly don’t have any other outs (unless I know it’s going to be late or cancelled earlier, in which case my wife will drive us to Brighton to grab the 0820)

My only other option from Shoreham is a train leaving best part of 50 minutes earlier which involves 2 changes and in the end, only arrives at VIC 10 mins or so before the one I plan to get.

I think I’ve already made my mind up to chance it, but I’d be interested to hear from anyone in the know.

If you can get a lift why risk it?

I would suggest you will be fine, if you download the national rail app you can check live trains and this will show you if you have any issues before leaving, so you will know to get yourself to Brighton.

Train leaving littlehampton and you should be fine. Any delays on the way up, well you are ****ed. you may be able to get some money back on Delay Repay.

If you can get a lift why risk it?

I would suggest you will be fine, if you download the national rail app you can check live trains and this will show you if you have any issues before leaving, so you will know to get yourself to Brighton.

This was my plan. I’m guessing my train leaving Shoreham will actually leave somewhere like Littllehampton around 0745, so if it’s cancelled or running late I still have time to utilise my lift to Brighton.

I’d rather let Mrs KC have her Saturday lie in unless its absolutely necessary to get a lift.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the OP could be in trouble if he misses his connection. The two trains are operated by different companies, Southern, and Virgin. If both journeys were with the same operator then l'm sure he would be fine, but l'm not convinced that Virgin will automatically allow him to board a later train.

If l were him l'd start being nice to my wife.

Get your wife out of bed KC, just to be on the safe side. You can always buy her a box of chocs afterwards.

I’m torn. If I see the train enroute and pulling out of Angmering at 0800 then surely I’m better of with plan A rather than head to Brighton where the train could also have a delay. Isn’t the more risky, but confirmed option the safer one?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here