Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do Americans think the whole world does thanks giving?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I too think its a good reason to organise a family get together but its the fact that most Americans thinks the whole world embraces it.

I have worked with US based Americans for the past 10 years, I talk constantly with them, I have American friends, I have travelled all over the country. In all my life I have never ever been asked what I'm doing tomorrow or felt they believe the whole world celebrates it.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I too think its a good reason to organise a family get together but its the fact that most Americans thinks the whole world embraces it.

It's not a 'fact' - anyway I'm done with this thread. Happy Thanksgiving to fellow US based NSCers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems strange some on here are having a moan, i thought people like me who stuck up for traditions etc were little Little Englanders, now there seems to be a bit of concern about another countries take on celebrated events.

Thanksgiving is their own though. It's theirs. They've noT nicked a UK tradition or are the trying to force it onto the UK.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Thanksgiving is a separate celebration to Christmas mate.
But those danged Yankees then go and call Christmas ' The Holidays' -as opposed to holidays (which of course they call vacations). All part of boot/trunk, bonnet/hood, tap/faucet, arse/ass, bottom/butt etc, etc. Divided by a common language, indeed.

Then there's Black Friday, school proms, Halloween, baby showers.... Anyone else noticed that this evidently unstoppable transatlantic cultural exchange is entirely unidirectional?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
But those danged Yankees then go and call Christmas ' The Holidays' -as opposed to holidays (which of course they call vacations). All part of boot/trunk, bonnet/hood, tap/faucet, arse/ass, bottom/butt etc, etc. Divided by a common language, indeed.

Then there's Black Friday, school proms, Halloween, baby showers. Has anyone else noticed that this evidently unstoppable transatlantic cultural exchange is entirely unidirectional?
Thats because hannukah is around the same time as well, the holidays encompasses thanksgiving, xmas and hannukah.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Then there's Black Friday, school proms, Halloween, baby showers.... Anyone else noticed that this evidently unstoppable transatlantic cultural exchange is entirely unidirectional?

The UK has given loads of culture to the US over the years though from food, music, drink, the arts, design. It's endless.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
We need to embrace it just like we have with Halloween and Black Friday and all the other American shit youngsters seem to love.

Just a matter of time

Definitely, I'm up for anything that gives me a few extra days off work eating, drinking and generally quaffing at home. :clap:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside stuffing your face with Turkey, eating pumpkin pie and washing it down with American Pale Ale seems a fine way to spend the day. My diary is free tomorrow if anyone has a spare place at the table.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but THANKSGIVING WAS BROUGHT TO AMERICA BY THE PILGRIM FATHERS WHO WERE ENGLISH FROM LINCOLNSHIRE.

message ends. Those bloody English with their bloody traditions forcing it on the world.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
I thought thanks giving was the yanks way of saying nye up until about a month ago

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've worked for three American companies in the last 20 years, I've never been asked what I'm doing for Thanksgiving by American colleagues and there's never been any sort of Thanksgiving celebration organised by any of these companies.The septics over here tend to take a couple of days off and the rest of us just get on with it.

In fact, I'd say the reverse is true and Americans are surprised we celebrate something that they do: I've certainly been asked whether we celebrate Hallowe'en over here

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanksgiving is their own though. It's theirs. They've noT nicked a UK tradition or are the trying to force it onto the UK.

Can't be bothered reading the whole thread but THANKSGIVING WAS BROUGHT TO AMERICA BY THE PILGRIM FATHERS WHO WERE ENGLISH FROM LINCOLNSHIRE.

message ends. Those bloody English with their bloody traditions forcing it on the world.

This. It is a Yank tradition started by the English immigrants or refugees* as some might call them.

*ducks

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Good on em I say.

Them having Thanksgiving means Christmas doesn't get a look in until the end of November, whereas it starts on 1st November here, after the supermarkets have cleared the aisles of Halloween sh*t.

My only gripe with the Yanks with regard to celebrating holidays, is the complete OTT they put on St Paddy days. Much much worse than over here. I was in a bar in Houston on Paddys day one year, and a Pipes and Drum band came marching in playing ........ Scotland the Brave!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I guess [MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] has now realised that he's the only one asked this by Americans.

You're not American are you [MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] ? Just thought I'd ask.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
They call it thanksgiving i call it Christmas. My cards will say Merry Christmas etc. They have their traditions and i shall stick with mine, no problem.

Haha - wtf is this clown on about??

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If you don’t like Americans fair enough – but don’t make ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes. I actually like Thanksgiving – it's very much about families and friends and enjoying a good meal and each other’s company.

But from your location, you're in the US - so fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here