Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They sent a poor Woman to the top of Dartmoor on the BBC this morning as there was 1 inch of snow there ! WHOOPEE DOO !

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Not going to ramp up our chances of seeing the white stuff as it seems every time I do it goes wrong!

So I shall leave you with this from Ian Ferguson who works for the Met Office:

As others note, UKMO regard EC DET as progressive outlier. Strong signal for colder or much colder weather next week, albeit extremely low skill on snow risk in any one area (not even worth speculating!). MJO phase root cause for the synoptic 'flip', they say. Some solutions look ominous, but a while before ANY worthwhile deterministic detail emerges for day-to-day prospects after the cold, cyclonic weekend has passed...

in laymans terms at the moment it looks like turning a lot colder next week, starting from this weekend.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Not going to ramp up our chances of seeing the white stuff as it seems every time I do it goes wrong!

As others note, UKMO regard EC DET as progressive outlier. Strong signal for colder or much colder weather next week, albeit extremely low skill on snow risk in any one area (not even worth speculating!). MJO phase root cause for the synoptic 'flip', they say. Some solutions look ominous, but a while before ANY worthwhile deterministic detail emerges for day-to-day prospects after the cold, cyclonic weekend has passed... :eek: :eek:

in laymans terms at the moment it looks like turning a lot colder next week, starting from this weekend. :thumbsup:

Thanks for translating! :lol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

As others note, UKMO regard EC DET as progressive outlier. Strong signal for colder or much colder weather next week, albeit extremely low skill on snow risk in any one area (not even worth speculating!). MJO phase root cause for the synoptic 'flip', they say. Some solutions look ominous, but a while before ANY worthwhile deterministic detail emerges for day-to-day prospects after the cold, cyclonic weekend has passed...

in laymans terms at the moment it looks like turning a lot colder next week, starting from this weekend.

Ian Fergusson - two 's' in his name.

Likewise on the ramping part - the setup still looks far too marginal to call either way at the moment. The first 'chance' is Saturday evening into Sunday down here - then into next week we might see high pressure to the North of the UK and a potentially easterly. I'd suggest that we will see some snow down here at some point in the next 10 days, but it's the whether it's part of a longer cold spell or simply transitional that's key.

Flex Your Head

For what it's worth, the BBC national forecast after the Ten O'clock News last night ended with the forecaster saying that everywhere will feel colder at the weekend with the first real winter weather settling in next week. They don't seem to back that up on the website though.
Certainly seems to look more promising though.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Ian Fergusson - two 's' in his name.

Likewise on the ramping part - the setup still looks far too marginal to call either way at the moment. The first 'chance' is Saturday evening into Sunday down here - then into next week we might see high pressure to the North of the UK and a potentially easterly. I'd suggest that we will see some snow down here at some point in the next 10 days, but it's the whether it's part of a longer cold spell or simply transitional that's key.

and its still raining in Avoriaz! Im gonna need my brolly not my ski's

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Metcheck showing 11-12 C and sw winds by midweek next week

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Metcheck showing Lancing as 4-6C midweek next week
Netweather showing Lancing as 1-2C midweek next week

Don't bother with BBC as its embarrassingly wrong on a daily basis

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
Metoffice showing heavy snow for Burgess Hill on Sunday.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

I put this through Google translate and it came back as "pack a coat"

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's NOT happening as its not in the Daily Express today

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here