Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The end of the green away kit?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When we have back to back away games within a few days, we usually wear one colour for the first game and the other for the second. Makes it easier for the kit man to prepare rather than have to rush around the day after an away game.

Don't they get issued with brand new shirts for every game regardless?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Lay off the booze.....

Bit harsh, that.

Any third kit is guaranteed an airing each season for "commercial reasons". Reckon Albion wear the third kit in December more than any other month.

And loads of studies have shown that wearing red gives an advantage in sport (not just football, but in Olympics etc).

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I’m sorry but the green kit is awful. The “Australian “ yellow is marginally better but only just. IMHO, Albion should go back to its traditional classic yellow kits of the 80’s. That was our away identity. Think the FA Cup semi-final kit and around that era. Stop the constant chopping and changing and go back to Albion’s old yellow.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Bit harsh, that.

Any third kit is guaranteed an airing each season for "commercial reasons". Reckon Albion wear the third kit in December more than any other month.

And loads of studies have shown that wearing red gives an advantage in sport (not just football, but in Olympics etc).
That red in sport is bollocks, Germany, Brazil, France...Real Madrid White

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I’m sorry but the green kit is awful. The “Australian “ yellow is marginally better but only just. IMHO, Albion should go back to its traditional classic yellow kits of the 80’s. That was our away identity. Think the FA Cup semi-final kit and around that era. Stop the constant chopping and changing and go back to Albion’s old yellow.

It's the 21st century. No club in the land sticks to 'traditional' away colours.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That red in sport is bollocks, Germany, Brazil, France...Real Madrid White

You have picked top teams to suit your argument but traditionally and said by colour and vision experts that Red is the best to wear for picking out players. When we play Liverpool if they wear Red it will seem as if they have more players on the pitch as it does with Man Utd. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Great study. Are you an academic?

Take a read of this:https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ist-Red-Shirts-Aggression-and-Team-Sports.pdf

Personally, I'd take any minor advantage.

I have read it but as I say it is bollocks it is a typical study that sets out to prove a result without thinking about the real statistics. In football there are a lot of red teams and its not because they all win a lot of football kits especially in the UK were picked for how cheap it was to make the kits. Add in Tiger woods and the drugged up russian olympic years and you have an "academic". Look at the most successful Rugby teams, the most successful Baseball teams, the most sucessful Basketball teams and then the most succesful Work Cup teams and then the result equals bollocks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't they get issued with brand new shirts for every game regardless?

When I did the stadium tour hey told us that the shirts are normally washed and pressed in the laundry at the stadium after the games, ready for the next match. If they’re damaged I guess they get disposed of one way or another.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
You have picked top teams to suit your argument but traditionally and said by colour and vision experts that Red is the best to wear for picking out players. When we play Liverpool if they wear Red it will seem as if they have more players on the pitch as it does with Man Utd. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.

No thats what the "academics" did. Did these "vision" experts realise that the largest set of colour blindness is red-green they cant tell them apart. almost 1 in 10 men are colour blind.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Think we should have red as an away kit. Maybe yellow as a third. Remember the 'lucky' red away kit of 1986 ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Think we should have red as an away kit. Maybe yellow as a third. Remember the 'lucky' red away kit of 1986 ?

And where did we finish in the 'lucky' red away kit?

In our most successful seasons we have had yellow away kits (promotion to the old first division in 78-79, highest-ever finish in 81-82, FA Cup final 83, play-off semi-finalists in 13-14 and 15-16, last season), black (promotion in 16-17) or green and black (play-off semi-finalists in 12-13). You could just about claim the pink NOBO away kit was partly red (reached 1991 play-off final) but we spoiled it by changing to the nosebleed-in-a-gale/Chewits wrapper for the final and then went down in that the following season.

This red thing is nonsense. People link red with success in this country because some successful clubs wear it. But there are no very successful clubs in Italy or Spain who wear predominantly red shirts. And as you will see below, only one team has ever won a World Cup final wearing red shirts.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
That

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Whoever thought plain green was a good idea for a team kit, needs to run up and down the sidelines trying to pick out a crossfield pass to someone running on green grass!

At least the green and black stripes of 2010/11 stood out. Players need to have peripheral vision to be able to see their teammates.
It was also bad for those with colour blindness (not me, but have seen posts from those who are)

It’s bad from the stands, but at pitch level it really doesn’t clash with the grass - players don’t look down at the pitch. Many teams have played in green for their entire history. Wolfsburg, Werder Bremen, Plymouth Argyle etc...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I like the green shirt.......as a piece of casual wear, even on the terraces.........but not on the field.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And where did we finish in the 'lucky' red away kit?

In our most successful seasons we have had yellow away kits (promotion to the old first division in 78-79, highest-ever finish in 81-82, FA Cup final 83, play-off semi-finalists in 13-14 and 15-16, last season), black (promotion in 16-17) or green and black (play-off semi-finalists in 12-13). You could just about claim the pink NOBO away kit was partly red (reached 1991 play-off final) but we spoiled it by changing to the nosebleed-in-a-gale/Chewits wrapper for the final and then went down in that the following season.

This red thing is nonsense. People link red with success in this country because some successful clubs wear it. But there are no very successful clubs in Italy or Spain who wear predominantly red shirts. And as you will see below, only one team has ever won a World Cup final wearing red shirts.

Perhaps the major reason we have won more games wearing yellow than red, is simply because . . . we have worn it much more often! We have adopted a yellow change kit much often than a red, since l started supporting the club in the mid 80's anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here