Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Even if he did say Manc and not black

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There are profanities and then there is pure hatred and vitriol.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true and I'm merely cautioning against making such judgements based on a photo in the context of tribal conflict i.e. a football game :)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite right too. But I'd add, in a controversial high-stakes game, and an opposition player is play acting and earns them a penalty they score...I dare say many more people would likely be hurling strong abuse like this with hardly anyone batting an eyelid because of the circumstances. So we must all recognise our own double standards before judging others.

I admitted I’d join in a general wnkr chant.

But never racism. We all know that (some) Chelsea fans can be racist, even in modern times.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There is an L in Black and not Manc so no its not hard to lip read the difference.

'Not hard'? Really? Try it in a mirror at the speed he shouted it. In a consonant cluster such as /sl/ or /bl/, an L is almost imperceptible.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A colleague at work took her 8 year old son to his first game last week at Tranmere. Apparently he was quite distressed at the violence of the bad language, even in the family enclosure.

So people need to learn some self control as you don't know how many potential new fans you are putting off by your behaviour.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
'Not hard'? Really? Try it in a mirror at the speed he shouted it. In a consonant cluster such as /sl/ or /bl/, an L is almost imperceptible.

Its not. I can lip read M and B yea imperceptible but an L nope and he isnt a Manc either not that it would stop him getting away with it.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Context is everything here.

If I called anyone at work a Mike Hunt I'd expect to get sacked, however, if I was in the front row at say Palace away, we were 1-0 down to a pen won by a clear Zaha dive and he picked the ball up in front of me, I could see myself - and more or less all of the stand - calling him a Scunthorpe. A still photo wouldn't look great and he then mistakenly heard something as racist, I'd certainly feel hard done by to get sacked and branded a racist for life. That all said If he has said 'black' he deserves everything he gets and Chelsea fans have enough form for me to believe he probably did albeit it will be very difficult to prove either way.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
60? I reckon 50. Anyway it doesn’t look good but then photos can be enormously misrepresentative so we can’t convict someone just on that basis. Not sure about knowing a lot better whether 50 or 60 because I see dozens of similarly aged gentlemen in the North losing their shit every other week during course of a match. That’s just football and it’s what makes the game what it is whether you agree or disagree.

I think you are right here. I must admit to shouting "you cheating bxxxxd" at Wilf the other night, but that was in amongst thousands of others in East Stand Upper. Does that make it ight -no, probably not, though I am also sure that I would not have shouted that, had I been as close as that chap at Chelsea. There's no excuse for racist abuse, because the colour of their skin is irrelevant, but, as you say, abuse on players in the heat of the moment is what happens at football, it being such a passionate game. Perhaps it is just one of life's imperfections.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
[/B]

I think you are right here. I must admit to shouting "you cheating bxxxxd" at Wilf the other night, but that was in amongst thousands of others in East Stand Upper. Does that make it ight -no, probably not, though I am also sure that I would not have shouted that, had I been as close as that chap at Chelsea. There's no excuse for racist abuse, because the colour of their skin is irrelevant, but, as you say, abuse on players in the heat of the moment is what happens at football, it being such a passionate game. Perhaps it is just one of life's imperfections.

Admirable honesty here because yes, we're all guilty of this and the thing is vast majority of us don't mean anything by it and would probably have a nice drink with e.g. Zaha, one to one. That's why I don't take (profanities) too seriously at football. And neither do football clubs in practice.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

If I called anyone at work a Mike Hunt I'd expect to get sacked, however, if I was in the front row at say Palace away, we were 1-0 down to a pen won by a clear Zaha dive and he picked the ball up in front of me, I could see myself - and more or less all of the stand - calling him a Scunthorpe. A still photo wouldn't look great and he then mistakenly heard something as racist, I'd certainly feel hard done by to get sacked and branded a racist for life.

This. And it's entirely possible in this instance.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There’s a guy that sits next to us in ESU who’s is pretty liberal with the word c**t , especially as an adjective in relation to Bong’s performance. The thing is after he’s said it, he always looks really sheepish and apologises. Probably as there are kids in earshot.

He should feel ashamed, around kids and if doing on regularly. As per Iggle Piggle's point, context is important.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Admirable honesty here because yes, we're all guilty of this and the thing is vast majority of us don't mean anything by it and would probably have a nice drink with e.g. Zaha, one to one. That's why I don't take (profanities) too seriously at football. And neither do football clubs in practice.

Yes, good post. You can take it too seriously, but of course there are limits, though not sure where I would draw the line. In the past, there have been threads about children in the North Stand hearing foul language, but most parents seem to say in advance that their off-springs will hear words we don't use at home, and the kids accept that.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
[/B]

Same I wouldnt ever get into a players face like that though or throw a pie at them. I usually shout abuse at the officials for their poor decisions, while I type this how many premiership black referees are there?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

If I called anyone at work a Mike Hunt I'd expect to get sacked, however, if I was in the front row at say Palace away, we were 1-0 down to a pen won by a clear Zaha dive and he picked the ball up in front of me, I could see myself - and more or less all of the stand - calling him a Scunthorpe. A still photo wouldn't look great and he then mistakenly heard something as racist, I'd certainly feel hard done by to get sacked and branded a racist for life. That all said If he has said 'black' he deserves everything he gets and Chelsea fans have enough form for me to believe he probably did albeit it will be very difficult to prove either way.

A bit has been mentioned about the Spurs Arsenal game the other weekend when the banana skin was thrown at the African Arsenal striker.
There seems a general feeling by fans of both sides that it was thrown as just the nearest piece of rubbish available to hand, (a bit like a pie), and if it had happened to be an orange skin or apple core none of this outrage would've happened, ( a disastrous day for football I think UEFA called it).
Imagine just throwing a bit of rubbish onto the pitch out of frustration and being branded a racist for life!!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I find this thread extremely depressing.

My original post was only trying to find out if it was ok to call someone a f****** c*** at a game of football.

Sadly it seems the majority think it is.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here