Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
How many pairs of running shoes do people tend to have? I’ve only ever had one at a time. My current pair have completely ripped down the left hand side of the left shoe so my foot is now in contact with the road when I run. To be fair I have done about 700 miles in them. My previous pair (which have now been called back into emergency action) have worn so thin on the base that it feels like my foot is rubbing on a nail when I run. I sense my ‘buy one pair and run them into the ground’ routine isn’t the best idea!
At my peak I had loads; Stability road shoes for long runs, Lightweight stability shoes for speedwork, v light flats for racing, track spikes, xc spikes, trail shoes for hard trails, and more aggressive trail shoes for muddy trails!
Have heard that rotating different shoes can help avoid injury and I have managed to avoid anything major so it might be true.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just had a gentle 5 miler in my new New Balance 1400 V5 race shoes. Certainly a good shoe for 5K and 10K. At 207g each shoe is 50g heavier than the yellow hyperspeeds but a lot more cushioning for that 50g. Only downer is I had the right shoe laces up too tight and have upper foot pain. Sure it will go with ice, a few days in different shoes and loosening the laces.. Black pair only £49.

Looking forward to the Saucony ride arriving tomorrow.
The Salomon Speedcross for winter trails.
The Brooks Transcend become the bad weather shoes.
The Brooks GT14 go in the bin after a good 5 years work.
The yellow Asic gel hyperspeed with no cushioning go in the cupboard for that one BIG peak 5K attempt in August. (Unless she throws them out before hand).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just had a gentle 5 miler in my new New Balance 1400 V5 race shoes. Certainly a good shoe for 5K and 10K. At 207g each shoe is 50g heavier than the yellow hyperspeeds but a lot more cushioning for that 50g. Only downer is I had the right shoe laces up too tight and have upper foot pain. Sure it will go with ice, a few days in different shoes and loosening the laces.. Black pair only £49.

The yellow Asic gel hyperspeed with no cushioning go in the cupboard for that one BIG peak 5K attempt in August. (Unless she throws them out before hand).

Good to hear you've got the 1400s. I had exactly the same issue with doing the laces up too tightly! I think it's because they're thin on the top, making it really easy to pull the laces tight. It did take a couple of weeks for my feet to get used to them.

Saucony have just released an ISO version of the Ride. I might give them a try.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good to hear you've got the 1400s. I had exactly the same issue with doing the laces up too tightly! I think it's because they're thin on the top, making it really easy to pull the laces tight. It did take a couple of weeks for my feet to get used to them.

Saucony have just released an ISO version of the Ride. I might give them a try.

ISO sound good. Lighter and lower heel?

A boringly interesting fact is that since 1990, at 30, my shoe size has gone from 8 to 9.5. Apparently a normal aging process. It hasn't been followed by other appendages.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

LOL. I’m about a stone heavier than I should be - I need shoes weighing -7lb each. 50g isn’t going to help much [emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
LOL. I’m about a stone heavier than I should be - I need shoes weighing -7lb each. 50g isn’t going to help much [emoji23][emoji23]

:lol: Exactly I could trim my toe nails instead. For me I'm sure it's the adrenaline kicking in as THE shoes go on.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
ISO sound good. Lighter and lower heel?

A boringly interesting fact is that since 1990, at 30, my shoe size has gone from 8 to 9.5. Apparently a normal aging process. It hasn't been followed by other appendages.

Definitely lighter, but I'm not sure if it has a lower heel. It seems to have all these foam layers which are designed to adapt to the shape or your foot. I'll take some convincing!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Definitely lighter, but I'm not sure if it has a lower heel. It seems to have all these foam layers which are designed to adapt to the shape or your foot. I'll take some convincing!

Yes you're right on the heel. I was comparing to the Freedom ISO.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I certainly don't run as much as some on here but I have used Mizuno Wave Riders for a few years. I usually get circa 500 miles, almost exclusively on the road, out of a pair before they start feeling like they are losing their cushion.

I like the look of those New Balances 1400 though. Will wait till I can get a Lime Green pair in a decent sale. They look a lot like the pair of Mizuno Sayonaras that I had a couple of years ago that I really enjoyed running in.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I only ever have one pair on the go. Here’s a question, when you guys buy these new shoes what do you look at? For example, I use Brooks Ghost and if I wanted to search out a similar shoe how would I go about it?

I have only ever used about 4 different makes/models of shoe over the years and have always gone to a shop and had them look at me and I then test out their recommendations. Surely you guys don’t do this with every shoe you buy?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got analysed at The Jog Shop years ago. Given 4 pairs to try and bought the first pair, Brooks.
Next brother had contacts at ASIC in the US and would bring me over whatever I wanted for around £30 a pair. Mostly comfortable but they tended to tear easily on the uppers.
Then had years of finding perfect Brooks shoes in TK Maxx. That's stopped.
This year asked a friend, who has run the Hove based Fit Bitch running sessions for best trail shoes. She came up with the Salomon Cross Speed as her group rightly liked them.
Finally I've asked on here to find what are favoured by our runners. Looking forward to trying Saucony Ride 10 this afternoon.

As a skinny light footed runner I can wear most shoes but don't like paddles on my feet. The Brooks Tanscend may be heading for the charity shop......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'll be honest, I've never really got the shoe chat, because everyone's feet are different, and one pair that is perfect for one person could be as uncomfortable as hell for someone else. I've run with Asics for a while, but that's only because I found out they were the most comfortable through trial and error (or matey at The Jog Shop getting about 10 pairs out for me to try.) Next time I go in it could be something completely different – I'm not really that fussed about the brand and I quite like the element of surprise!

Anyway, back to that running malarky and I ran this morning! First time for a week – intervals and a second place on a Strava segment. Swimming and cycling have pretty much taken over, but it was lovely to get back out around Shoreham Beach. That's pretty much it really. Back on the bike on Sunday (and maybe the swimming pool), which means next run will be Monday. Bloody training plans :tantrum:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'll be honest, I've never really got the shoe chat, because everyone's feet are different, and one pair that is perfect for one person could be as uncomfortable as hell for someone else. I've run with Asics for a while, but that's only because I found out they were the most comfortable through trial and error (or matey at The Jog Shop getting about 10 pairs out for me to try.) Next time I go in it could be something completely different – I'm not really that fussed about the brand and I quite like the element of surprise!

Anyway, back to that running malarky and I ran this morning! First time for a week – intervals and a second place on a Strava segment. Swimming and cycling have pretty much taken over, but it was lovely to get back out around Shoreham Beach. That's pretty much it really. Back on the bike on Sunday (and maybe the swimming pool), which means next run will be Monday. Bloody training plans :tantrum:

I'm fully expecting to run a 3:06:00 marathon and sub 18 5K, now that I have the right shoes!

Will try Hove Prom again tomorrow. Upping first 2 miles to just below tempo at 7:15 pace and then aim 6:45.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very happy with the new Ride 10s. Only problem is the wife strongly dislikes the blue set off with white. Clash with the Farrow and Ball shades. Will have to keep them in a box........

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Yes fair play to anyone competing the full 26.2 miles across the three days. Saw [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] at the start who was on his 3rd leg. He enjoyed the first two races so I'd like his view on Burgess Hill as I thought the course was a bit dull and ugly.

Worthing two years ago was bloody hot, but I reckon this was a good 3/4 degrees warmer and nowhere near as flat.

The biggest positive for me were the abundance of water and excellent marshals. The set up pre and post race was also good.

Afternoon all. I loved the Mid Sussex Marathon Event. Saturday was the most enjoyable day and a great 10 mile trail run in East Grinstead (towards Weir Wood Reservoir). It was muddy, very muddy, very very very muddy in places and hilly! I dont do much off road running but loved it, I was like a happy pig in mud! It was warm, but plenty of shade in the woods etc so not too bad. Sunday and Haywards Heath, and boy was it hot. When I crossed the finish line in Victoria park it was 29/30 in the sun. Again I enjoyed the course and it was great running with people you had met the day before. Mix of road and trail but mainly road, enjoyed the route and again the hills! Monday and it felt even hotter, no shade on the run and quite tough in the longish grass off road. I thought the course was OK, but it was more a case of being happy to get round and complete the three day challange. Again great to meet and chat with people I had run with over the three days. Totally different doing 3 back to back runs, but overall really enjoyed it and fellow runners and stewards really friendly. My times were 1.52.18, 1.36.28 and 1.01.56 so I think that makes it 4.30.42 for the combined times. I have decided after this that I definitely want to do more trail running!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have lost so much fitness since the marathon I'm struggling to get around 5 miles at my half marathon pace and it's not like I stopped running completely either. So frustrating.

Shoe chat: I have been wearing the stability versions of Adidas Ultra Boost for a few years now and love them, nice and light and OK to wear to the shops when you retire them from running. They are expensive new but I always buy last year's version online for £50-80.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm fully expecting to run a 3:06:00 marathon

Take your time with that :lolol:

I only ever have one pair on the go. Here’s a question, when you guys buy these new shoes what do you look at? For example, I use Brooks Ghost and if I wanted to search out a similar shoe how would I go about it?

I have only ever used about 4 different makes/models of shoe over the years and have always gone to a shop and had them look at me and I then test out their recommendations. Surely you guys don’t do this with every shoe you buy?

I run with a group out of a running store every Tuesday night. In the spring/summer some of the shoe companies take it in turns to come in and let us try out their demo shoes for our run. I actually switched to the Rides based on wearing them the week Saucony came in to the store last summer. I think they're coming in next week, so I'll probably give the Ride ISO a try then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here