Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Oscar Offered his Resignation?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Is there a written source for this, or is ir something that someone (the player himself??) has said to you? I'm not dissing what you've posted - just seeking clarification.

No written source (yet). A player said it. Implication being that the club have known for a while that he was unlikely to stay past the summer (backed up by [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] on BBCSussex), hence the need for a replacement.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe he assumed a head coach role in the UK was going to be the same as in Europe and in this case with the Albion maybe it isn't.
Yep, maybe.

So possibly we want our managers to be quite involved with player recruitment, or possibly Burke does it all and doesn't give the manager enough say. Sounds like we all know exactly what's going on.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No written source (yet). A player said it. Implication being that the club have known for a while that he was unlikely to stay past the summer, hence the need for a replacement.

There was a rumour spreading through the 1901 lounge before the Yeovil match, that he had resigned. We discounted it as BS at the time, but perhaps this has indeed been brewing for a while.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Interesting, at least insofar as the fact that they have (if this quote is to be believed) a replacement already lined-up.

Perhaps, in fact, Oscar is merely jumping before he was to be pushed - otherwise why would there even be the concept of a lined-up replacement?

There have been two or three clues in Oscar's public pronouncements over the last three months that he hasn't been totally happy. It is perfectly conceivable (probable even, given he seems to be a man of reasonably high integrity) that he will have said even more to TB. So, if TB thought that there was a greater than evens chance that OG would go at the end of the season if he didn't secure promotion, he might well have started quietly looking for a replacement as an insurance policy.

So, if a replacement is in the frame already, it need not necessarily mean that OG was to be pushed. It could just be good succession planning.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
You can't have a replacement lined up unless you know for sure he is going! How would that work exactly -

Q "I'm just calling to ask whether you will take on this job, but only if we can't convince the existing guy to stay on"
A "Yes certainly I would jump at the chance, but no worries if the job doesn't become free"

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It does a little bit though. Surely you'd try and get a little bit more involved before you quit. If this is the case, i find it odd that a manager could say that our recruitment was bad enough that they would quit but wouldn't want any more involvement.

I see your point. Our set up is a very continental one in that respect and one that he is used to though. When he joined he said that he was happy not to be involved in the transfer dealings as he had never done that before and had no desire to be involved. So I don't think he wants to get more involved, just that he wants our setup to produce better results in the transfer market and is perhaps not convinced that it will.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No written source (yet). A player said it. Implication being that the club have known for a while that he was unlikely to stay past the summer, hence the need for a replacement.

We've had 2 rumours on NSC.

1. Malky Mackay is lined up.
2. Zola was shown around the Amex last week.

Likely to be one of those two, I guess ???

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Gosh I do hope not. Unless we're prepared to back him with substantial investment.
Zola's an interesting one. Had seemingly zero say in transfers at Watford and very hard to judge because of that. Certainly got them playing good football but did have the player of the year to work with.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell

Is it a coincidence that Malky unexpectedly reached a compromise agreement with Cardiff and seems to be free to take another job ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You can't have a replacement lined up unless you know for sure he is going! How would that work exactly -

Q "I'm just calling to ask whether you will take on this job, but only if we can't convince the existing guy to stay on"
A "Yes certainly I would jump at the chance, but no worries if the job doesn't become free"

You make a good point.

I think the nuance is in the definition of "lined up". It could mean "we know who our number one candidate is and we know he's free, so we'll make the call immediately the OG situation is resolved", or it could mean "we've done everything but sign the contract". The latter would only happen if the club knew that OG was going.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Of course you can - it's happened to me ( obviously not in football ) - imagine the conversation being more like :

Q - "We may have a vacancy coming up if A,B and C happen. Would you be interested if so ?"
A - "Yes, if A,B and C happen I'd be very interested."

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
A player says: "He told the players he was leaving. The club have a replacement lined up if they cannot change his mind."

Is this grounds for disciplinary? We don't want that all over again.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If he's been telling the players his pastures are to be soon elsewhere, then surely this means him up against the firing wall for our poison tongues to lash him unforgiveably? That's the standard surely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here