Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who took you to your first Brighton game...

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
A mate of mine who came from Brighton and supported the Albion asked me down and got me hooked in (probably 1979 or so). Up till then I'd go to any game but didn't really follow anyone. Ironically he stopped going in the mid 80s and I carried on.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I first went to a Brighton Junior School rep side take on London boys in 1962 on my own and then went to a reserve game and then to a first team game - didn't have a dad around to take me. Went on my own as only lived round the corner. Like most, started on the chicken run and made my way round the ground over the following decades. It was great when you could watch from behind the goal we were attacking and then swap ends for free at half time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My dad, 1982 against Man Utd. My grandfather worked on the gate at the back of the South west terrace. Never had to pay to get in.

My grandfather is sadly no longer with us, but my Dad and I have season tickets next to each other in the West Upper.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My grandad took me to the South Stand in 1946. He was the one to blame for my addiction

Ben's Grandad's grandad. Was he one for sending several telegrams a day to the Argus, about the various rumours he'd heard in a disreputable public bar? :wink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ben's Grandad's grandad. Was he one for sending several telegrams a day to the Argus, about the various rumours he'd heard in a disreputable public bar? :wink:

He didnt drink in a disreputable bar as he started every evening in saloon bar of The Jolly Brewers after leaving the whist drive in the Oddfellows Hall and the finished up in the snug of The Clifton. The only day he didnt go to the whist drive was Wednesday as he did his football pools and that meant every paper for form details and weather forecasts and hours of studying. I think that he won about £150 total over many years.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
My dad, an Arsenal fan, took me to the Goldstone to see us play Reading in a top of the table clash back in the early 70's. The stands were rammed and I couldn't see much despite standing on my orange box.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
My aunt took me to Brighton v Man City in the fourth round of the FA cup in Jan 1983. Sat in the west stand and watched in awe the 4-0 thrashing we dished out. Seem to remember fighting going on between the fans in the north stand and the away fans in the north east

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A couple of Sussex University fans of Manchester United dragged me along. I only agreed as I wanted to see what all the fuss was about Malcolm Allison's Palace. Albion won 2-0 and my life sentence began :wink:

I had been a long distance armchair/radio fan of Spurs before that, although I'd never been to a game.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
My dad in 1970, vs Bradford City I think. My real addiction started a year later when we bought a house on Old Shoreham Rd.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My uncle Ian. No idea of the date or how old I was, but we played Southampton, lost 1-0 and Sammy Nelson was playing for us. We stood in the chicken run.

edit: 27th December 1982, so I was 9 years old.

:smile:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My next door neighbour's dad for my neighbour's birthday party - Southampton (h) 1979/80. Second home game in Div 1 I believe - Chicken Run stood on a crate

Edit - third game

Last edited:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
The guy who lived across the road. Drove to Heathfield and got the supporters bus. 1976. Don't remember who we played but it was the first time I had a meat pie and a bovril.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
My dad, 1995 at home to Brentford (he tells me!). I have no memory of it being a toddler then!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I took myself, well 2 or 3 of us too ourselves, bunked away from the boarding school we were at, got the bus to Hove and found our way into the north stand, 1979, v Norwich.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Me and a mate from school got the bus down from Crowborough, 87/88 season, beat Walsall 2-1, 30th season as a supporter this year, first in top-flight

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
My Mum and Dad to an unknown game in 1960. I was 6 and we had just moved to Hove and they had no-one to leave me with while they went to the game. ( Dad was a long term supporter having been brought up in Hove himself.)
I suppose I watched some of the game but most of the time I was sitting on a stool we took in and reading a comic. I started going on my own in 1963 but continued to take the stool. I'd get a spot at the wall on the East terrace half way line and stand on the stool.
97 year old Mum is still passionate about the Albion but can't get to games now .....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here