Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I almost resigned myself that my running days were over and then I went to Studio 57 in Hove and learnt how to warm up properly and the benefits of the foam roller!
The warm up involved a lunge matrix and lots of foam rolling! Throw in some simple calf raises and I'm back running again! But for me the roller is key! I now mainly use a massage stick as it is easy to use anywhere!

I appreciate that none of this is new but it was the lack of a proper warm up that was ruining my running!

Excellent news and advice. I was told on Wednesday my calf would have gone last Sunday without a warm up.
@EP will particularly like the fact he can use the massage stick anywhere!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
They are in a hell of a state. My GTS must be similar mileage and fine. Mine are 14. What are yours?
That is a dilemma @Guiness Boy. The GTS are clearly buggered. Blisters from wearing new Saucony for a 19 mile run is not a problem. It is something you can man up to. What would worry me is the change in running style/gait from the new shoes. A small change in foot strike over 19 miles could easily lead to tendon or muscle stress. New GTS would not give this problem as would give the same fit/gait.
Has to be your gut reaction I reckon. Is changing shoes halfway possible?

My current GTS are on 680 miles, still going good.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Struggling on resuming the marathon plan after Hastings. Plan is 50 miles this week with 14 today, recovery tomorrow and final 20 on Sunday. On target so far. Problem is the muscular pain I ran with today. Will see how it goes tomorrow on A gentle Parkrun but have a plan B lined up of doing Sundays Long Run on Tuesday.
Digging and preparing 11 trenches for my potatoes hasn't helped but all has to be done before the taper.
Well worth doing Hastings but it f**ked me!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They are in a hell of a state. My GTS must be similar mileage and fine. Mine are 14. What are yours?
That is a dilemma @Guiness Boy. The GTS are clearly buggered. Blisters from wearing new Saucony for a 19 mile run is not a problem. It is something you can man up to. What would worry me is the change in running style/gait from the new shoes. A small change in foot strike over 19 miles could easily lead to tendon or muscle stress. New GTS would not give this problem as would give the same fit/gait.
Has to be your gut reaction I reckon. Is changing shoes halfway possible?

My current GTS are on 680 miles, still going good.

I've had 14s which were fine and two 15s, both of which have gone. I always run my last mile slowly as a cool down and, if I come from Brighton westwards it's always uphill. I suspect that when I'm tired after either a speed session or long run I'm dragging the back of my foot to slow down. Something to mentally avoid although I've also had a pair of Mizuno Wave 11s and they lasted even longer than the Brooks 14s, 450 miles and counting and no drag damage. I just don't want to rely on them for the marathon because they are at that age where they could go at any time and (small but genuine annoyance) the laces always come undone in the rain.

Anyway, about to lace up for a 35 min run in the brand new shoes. It's beautiful out there and I doubt I would have actually taken the rest option anyway given the conditions today!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Took advantage of the good weather today to get in my longest run in preparation for London. 35km/21.75miles in 3:12. Along the sea front, along the cliff tops to nearly Newhaven and back via the undercliff path. Legs still feeling it a bit from Hastings but pleased with the effort which puts me on target for 3:45 ish on the big day. Will treat park run as a recovery run tomorrow before commencing birthday celebrations which will push me up into the next category of veteran!

Received my race number yesterday 45thousand and something (!) so beginning to get excited. Ten days holidays coming up to rest and recover with some shorter runs thrown in.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Took advantage of the good weather today to get in my longest run in preparation for London. 35km/21.75miles in 3:12. Along the sea front, along the cliff tops to nearly Newhaven and back via the undercliff path. Legs still feeling it a bit from Hastings but pleased with the effort which puts me on target for 3:45 ish on the big day. Will treat park run as a recovery run tomorrow before commencing birthday celebrations which will push me up into the next category of veteran!

Received my race number yesterday 45thousand and something (!) so beginning to get excited. Ten days holidays coming up to rest and recover with some shorter runs thrown in.

Excellent effort. I'm planning to get out around 8am tomorrow with the plan to get to 30k which will be my longest run. I might well match it the week after too, but I certainly won't run past that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Running along the seafront road / prom on the afternoon of a sunny bank holiday certainly isn't advised for your sanity but it turned the trainer break-in session in to a mini fartlek. I'm fairly sure [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] junior nearly toddled in to my path at one point. If that was you on the Hove seafront road about 2.30 then you looked in even better shape than when I met you after Phoenix and junior is a chip off the old block.

New shoes actually felt amazing and calves are fine too. Foam rolled them again tonight but nowhere near as tight after a sports massage on Wednesday.

Got my Brighton Marathon runner guide email last night and will be entering the Blue corral. Dare I suggest a lining up together and a straight out NSC foot race for anyone aiming for between 3.40 and 4.00? Or are most looking for a bit quicker?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Running along the seafront road / prom on the afternoon of a sunny bank holiday certainly isn't advised for your sanity but it turned the trainer break-in session in to a mini fartlek. I'm fairly sure [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] junior nearly toddled in to my path at one point. If that was you on the Hove seafront road about 2.30 then you looked in even better shape than when I met you after Phoenix and junior is a chip off the old block.

New shoes actually felt amazing and calves are fine too. Foam rolled them again tonight but nowhere near as tight after a sports massage on Wednesday.

Got my Brighton Marathon runner guide email last night and will be entering the Blue corral. Dare I suggest a lining up together and a straight out NSC foot race for anyone aiming for between 3.40 and 4.00? Or are most looking for a bit quicker?

Yes that would have been me, trying to wear out my son so he sleeps better.

Had him do hill repeats up and down the ramp to King Alfred staff car park. A little bit of Fartlek combined with hide and seek and then I got him to climb six flights of stairs in our flat. I'm looking for a mini mile champion by 2020.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Back to parkrun for me today: Preston Park. Bit star struck as Kelly Holmes turned up. She acted as starter and then worked her way through the field - but was only the 2nd woman (what a scalp!).
Did 20:59 - my first time under 21 for a while. AG = 77.12%. Very pleased with this. I suspect most other NSC runners have bigger fish to fry as you rack up miles for upcoming marathons.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Back to parkrun for me today: Preston Park. Bit star struck as Kelly Holmes turned up. She acted as starter and then worked her way through the field - but was only the 2nd woman (what a scalp!).
Did 20:59 - my first time under 21 for a while. AG = 77.12%. Very pleased with this. I suspect most other NSC runners have bigger fish to fry as you rack up miles for upcoming marathons.

Good time. I set off last in Parkrun and set a slowest time pb 29:30. All part of the week plan. Looking forward to trying to get nearer your AG grade this summer.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Planned 30k didn't materialise. A combination of a cold, coupled with breaking in nearly new trainers meant the 18.6 become 15.5.

Not too disheartened next week was always going to be my last long run, so I haven't taken too much out of myself, except for some pretty horrible looking blisters.

Quite blustery along the front today and I made the mistake of running back past my house at mile 14. In hindsight I should have gone to Worthing rather East and turn at Saltdean. Looped the lagoon once but my race was run at 15.5. Time was around 1:51 @ 7:09 pace.

I may well take some gels and water next week, it's something I didn't do last year or so far this year, but I really want to get some time on my feet and this will help.

Can't believe Kelly Holmes ran Preston Park today, I bet there were some amazed faces down there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Help please. Any stretch for the middle of the thighs at the front. Got heel to buttock and sitting on heels. Plus the vicious knobbly roller. Not getting it though. Any other stretch?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Kelly Holmes was also at the Tunbridge Wells half. She was really encouraging people including me when I was struggling and then hung around at the finish to high five everyone over the line. Seems to be a thoroughly good egg.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
19 miles this morning, 15 at target marathon pace. Managed to hide from the wind for some of it but chose a section of the coast road near Lancing as part of the route that was completely exposed with no immediate turn off. It felt like running through glue and I fear a bit for the long term effects. New trainers were fine though, in fact really comfy. No massive blisters either.

I think, looking back at it, that's the hardest sporting thing I've ever done. Harder than facing a Minor Counties bowler or playing football in 38 degree heat as I did in Asia. 16 miles I found a breeze. The extra three nearly ruined me.

Lamb and a nice red this evening I think. Definitely earned it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
19 miles this morning, 15 at target marathon pace. Managed to hide from the wind for some of it but chose a section of the coast road near Lancing as part of the route that was completely exposed with no immediate turn off. It felt like running through glue and I fear a bit for the long term effects. New trainers were fine though, in fact really comfy. No massive blisters either.

I think, looking back at it, that's the hardest sporting thing I've ever done. Harder than facing a Minor Counties bowler or playing football in 38 degree heat as I did in Asia. 16 miles I found a breeze. The extra three nearly ruined me.

Lamb and a nice red this evening I think. Definitely earned it.

We have two things in common today. Lamb and red wine but not running. Well done on your 19 miler. I've ditched mine. There is a point when training by running long on fatigued legs is not beneficial or worth the pain. Have rescheduled to Tuesday To go out and enjoy (!) myself.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
18 miles in horrible weather, the journey back from Rottingdean was grim, 20 miles last week, 18 miles this and now I'm wrapping my legs up in cotton wool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here