Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Given that we are talking about club rides... is joining a cycling club worth it?

I'm moving up proper north (Yorkshire) in the next six weeks - wife is keen for me to join a club of some sort (mostly to get me out the house I think!). Never been a member of a cycling club, but I do enjoy getting out on my road bike. Plus, I'm definitely too old to start playing rugby again!

Only problem with cycling, Yorkshire and I, is that I'm not very good at hills...

I always thought cycling clubs were a bit clique and serious. However, after joining Brighton Excelsior I've really enjoyed it, made some great new friends who I meet up with at Albion games, and I enjoy the whole riding with a group whether a leisurely spin out, or a proper training ride.

In my experience clubs will have a variety of riders out, and will tailor rides accordingly. For example BE club rides don't usually include any of the nastier Sussex climbs unless stated they will beforehand. My advice would be to look them up and join a ride – most will be a taster ride of some kind. I think it would be excellent for you to learn the best routes and discover where you're moving to a bit more, plus of course the whole social aspect.

I stayed up in Yorkshire for Le Tour and did a fair bit of riding an absolutely loved it up there. Definitely think you'd get a lot out of joining a club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given that we are talking about club rides... is joining a cycling club worth it?

I'm moving up proper north (Yorkshire) in the next six weeks - wife is keen for me to join a club of some sort (mostly to get me out the house I think!). Never been a member of a cycling club, but I do enjoy getting out on my road bike. Plus, I'm definitely too old to start playing rugby again!

Only problem with cycling, Yorkshire and I, is that I'm not very good at hills...

I hate even the idea of club rides, primarily for the reason 10 has already alluded too.
I can't stand waiting for others, which obviously doesn't come close to how I feel when they are waiting for me.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thank you both!

The local cycling club do a 'welcome' ride once a month, so I'll head to one of those and see what I think. They also allow people to go on three club runs before becoming a member, which gives plenty of opportunity to work out whether it is something I would want to do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank you both!

The local cycling club do a 'welcome' ride once a month, so I'll head to one of those and see what I think. They also allow people to go on three club runs before becoming a member, which gives plenty of opportunity to work out whether it is something I would want to do.

On the plus side, as you're moving to a new area, you just can't beat local knowledge.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Just seen this. I had already got my team done and ready a few days ago...just went on for one final check and its a legal problem thats screwed it up - the game has been shut down! Gutted.

Eurosport has a free Fantasy game on their website that looks pretty good.....

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well that's today's stage on hold for 5 hours. :lol:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well that's today's stage on hold for 5 hours. :lol:

Yep, just gonna have Boulting and Millar witter on in the background I think. No wind, no hills, a totally pointless bonus sprint 13.5k from the end, and a false flat as a KoM point. It is almost like Le Tour knows it is second billing today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Two sprint stages and a TTT in the biggest bike race in the world and not a peep out of anyone on here. I can't understand it :lol:

Perhaps it's because it appears the Aussie Army team have gained entry this year ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Two sprint stages and a TTT in the biggest bike race in the world and not a peep out of anyone on here. I can't understand it :lol:

Perhaps it's because it appears the Aussie Army team have gained entry this year ???

Well, I've been watching, and yesterday's stage was pretty dramatic at the end with a fantastic piece of sprinting by Mr Sagan.

I've been trying to work out why team time trials are included in a grand tour, but none of them really stack up. I don't get it. :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well, I've been watching, and yesterday's stage was pretty dramatic at the end with a fantastic piece of sprinting by Mr Sagan.

I've been trying to work out why team time trials are included in a grand tour, but none of them really stack up. I don't get it. :shrug:

You're not alone. Don't think anyone gets it to be honest.

It's like watching Switzerland v Sweden all over again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to buck the trend slightly here, I like a good TTT.

I like the aesthetics of a team doing it properly, BUT, and here's the crucial bit, that has to be paired with teams who look like they've only just met.

I didn't see today's but the times seem to suggest everybody went out then came back again, there's no fun in that.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Yes, I think the tour is deliberately playing it low key this week. They're following the trend of F1, tennis and cricket by not trying to compete with the World Cup.

TTT yesterday made me a bit annoyed as it is stacked against the single good rider in a lesser funded team. Little wonder BMC and Sky scooped a few seconds.
Nice scenery though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DhqICylW4AARavC.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Anyone spot me on the side of the road in stage 1 & 2 waving my Sussex flag?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Comments surrounding this unveiling seem to suggest a chain is 98% efficient.

Making that a very marginal gain.

I think sometimes when I look down and see my dry bit of rusty rope going round and round it is probably some way short of being 98% efficient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here