Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I'm trying to cut down on my drinking, though as someone who enjoy pubs and beer, it is something of a challenge.

Being single for a while now, I do feel the need to get myself out certainly at the weekends, and this can mean I have a couple of days of having one too many. I suppose I'm trying to find social events that don't involve alcohol, but its not easy.

Got to say I'm going off hangovers, and drinking over consecutive days makes me feel terrible.

I do at least try and have 2-3 days during the week when I'm on the wagon.

Good luck to anyone giving up.

DO you do any hiking? I joined a hiking group at the start of the year which do big walks every Sunday. It helps the temptation to drink on a Sat night knowing you have a big walk on the Sunday. Also a good way to meet people and there are some lovely ladies that go too :)

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Try a few from here, and you might be surprised. As I've said, I drink Nanny State and now Seedlip 94 with tonic.

https://drydrinker.com/

Something I have tried is having a soft drink "break" when I'm out for an evening in a pub. I find a soda water with lime is actually quite refreshing.

Also, trying a few social events where drinking is not the main activity helps. So live music, or walking groups I find helps here.

Thank you both so much, some great ideas there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm trying to cut down on my drinking, though as someone who enjoy pubs and beer, it is something of a challenge.

Being single for a while now, I do feel the need to get myself out certainly at the weekends, and this can mean I have a couple of days of having one too many. I suppose I'm trying to find social events that don't involve alcohol, but its not easy.

Got to say I'm going off hangovers, and drinking over consecutive days makes me feel terrible.

I do at least try and have 2-3 days during the week when I'm on the wagon.

Good luck to anyone giving up.

there are multiple websites for singles if you'd rather be cultivating a relationship than getting pissed , some people see a stigma to the web dating thing ....i don't , it's the 21st century mate , if you wanna give up drinking and start porking viable birds then i say get to it old boy.....i am happily married by the way so you can pm me any vids or pics you are happy sharing ....all the best , Syd..xx

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
DO you do any hiking? I joined a hiking group at the start of the year which do big walks every Sunday. It helps the temptation to drink on a Sat night knowing you have a big walk on the Sunday. Also a good way to meet people and there are some lovely ladies that go too :)

Yes I do, and agreed it does help me to see there are other ways of enjoying the weekend. Of course, they do still generally finish at a pub, but then beer tastes nice when your sweaty :)
I'm in one walking group, plus I've tried Ramblers, and yes it can be quite sociable walking and chatting in our lovely Sussex countryside.
I am a runner too, and enjoy Saturday mornings for Parkrun. Of course, that's more enjoyable with a clear head.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I've knocked the drinking on the head too and coincidentally today I am 100 days AF.

The key for me was to 'understand' the science behind alcohol. So I decided to sign up for a free 30 day online experiment - check it out here: https://www.alcoholexperiment.com

Now I finally understand alcohol (I won't spoil the surprises!) I am totally switched off to the idea of drinking. Who knows if I use alcohol again but right now I just don't want to, I've literally no desire whatsoever which, for a moderate binge drinker since my teens and in my late 30s, is quite a turnaround!

If you can spare 10-20 mins a day for 30 days to watch a course of daily videos, read a supporting article and keep an online journal then I'd thoroughly recommend the Alcohol Experiment. If you're just a looking to cut down (which was my initial goal) or go fully alcohol free - well, for me it's been brilliant. Quite possibly a life-changer!

PM me if you want more info (without coming across all 'preachy'!)

https://www.alcoholexperiment.com

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for that link and information, I used to only drink at the weekends and slowly started to drink a bottle of wine on Wednesdays and Thursdays as well sometimes Mondays !!
I don't think I have a problem, and other issues just made me think, you know what maybe I do have an issue....

I don't wake up craving alcohol, but boy if I have one, I don't stop.

Anyway I signed up Sunday started Monday and the videos are yes very American but insightful and thought provoking.

My aim is see how it goes, see as the pitch goes can I do 30 days, see what impact it does have on me.

What can one lose.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Does anyone drink anymore or are we all teetotalers ?

I used to drink A LOT when I was younger and spent most of late teens and 20s in quite awful shape and feeling rubbish - in fact I'd go as far as to say I had quite a few underlying health problems as a result of the lifestyle I was leading.

Now, whilst I am more than willing to have a drink (or quite a few if I'm on a stag do, for example), I've lost the enthusiasm for regular drinking and I rarely touch the stuff (as well as living a very healthy lifestyle all told) - I haven't regretted the lifestyle change at all. Get some Argentinian Malbec in front of me though, and sacrifices have to be made, as long as they're in moderation.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Thanks for that link and information, I used to only drink at the weekends and slowly started to drink a bottle of wine on Wednesdays and Thursdays as well sometimes Mondays !!
I don't think I have a problem, and other issues just made me think, you know what maybe I do have an issue....

Anyway I signed up Sunday started Monday and the videos are yes very American but insightful and thought provoking.

My aim is see how it goes, see as the pitch goes can I do 30 days, see what impact it does have on me.

What can one lose.

Wine is my (only) vice (these days), easy habit to get into, grabbing a bottle on the way home. I don't sit and drink a bottle, I'm doing stuff at home with a glass on the go ..... and then it's gone (usually).
I used to drink a lot at matches or seeing a band, but cut down a year ago due to next day amnesia making going out a bit pointless tbh.
I am cutting down and this thread has some great ideas and suggestions to help so I've no excuses

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
The Alcohol Experiment

This is/was me - exactly the same. But now I know why stopping at one or two is so bloomin' hard.

Ah brilliant, I'm so pleased you've signed up, well played sir! Annie's heart is definitely in the right place - and don't worry there are some "special guests" from the UK too to balance things out! ;-)

My aim is see how it goes, see as the pitch goes can I do 30 days, see what impact it does have on me. What can one lose.

Great approach, see how you get on. You've absolutely nothing to lose - at the very least you will have gained the knowledge of the 'science of alcohol' which can only be good when drinking in the future.

Anyway, I'm feeling amazing, buzzing for the weekend and now off to sample some Seedlip 94 for the first time, courtesy of [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION]'s recommendation! :drink:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
This is/was me - exactly the same. But now I know why stopping at one or two is so bloomin' hard.

Ah brilliant, I'm so pleased you've signed up, well played sir! Annie's heart is definitely in the right place - and don't worry there are some "special guests" from the UK too to balance things out! ;-)

Great approach, see how you get on. You've absolutely nothing to lose - at the very least you will have gained the knowledge of the 'science of alcohol' which can only be good when drinking in the future.

Anyway, I'm feeling amazing, buzzing for the weekend and now off to sample some Seedlip 94 for the first time, courtesy of [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION]'s recommendation! :drink:

I will check out that link this weekend, cheers for posting it, and well done:):)

Stumpy Tim

I'll be tucking into some more tomorrow. It's going to be my Saturday afternoon boredom drink

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
complete and utter torture! After days of being 'good' I decided I deserved a drink last night ... won't bore you with the details ... back to the drawing board :nono:

Yeah. Don't beat yourself up about it. It took me five years of periods of good varying from 6 months to 10 minutes before finally packing it in.

I genuinely got a feeling that was as much physical as it was mental when I approached the point of no return with a night's drinking and the mental discipline I needed to stave that off was far greater than I needed to not drink in the first place.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm intrigued by this thread, because I read it and think maybe I am supposed to WANT to stop drinking. But I don't. I want to carry on ENJOYING drinking.

I drink regularly (maybe four nights a week), but almost always just one / one-and-a-half beers - because I'm always driving.

I quite like that I am - it is a set in stone limiter. I can just enjoy those two drinks knowing that there isn't the temptation to get on it.

I was at a wedding last weekend. Two alcoholic drinks and a couple of soft drinks (over about four hours). Had a great time with a load of good mates (whilst watching them all, and knowing how terrible half of them were going to be feeling the next morning!)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm intrigued by this thread, because I read it and think maybe I am supposed to WANT to stop drinking. But I don't. I want to carry on ENJOYING drinking.

I drink regularly (maybe four nights a week), but almost always just one / one-and-a-half beers - because I'm always driving.

I quite like that I am - it is a set in stone limiter. I can just enjoy those two drinks knowing that there isn't the temptation to get on it.

I was at a wedding last weekend. Two alcoholic drinks and a couple of soft drinks (over about four hours). Had a great time with a load of good mates (whilst watching them all, and knowing how terrible half of them were going to be feeling the next morning!)

I'm the same.
I spent 20+ years drinking virtually every day. This has led to high cholesterol levels, which has forced me to reduce my intake. I now, for the most part, just drink on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, so my intake is about 20 units a week. The amount I'm spending on each unit has increased, and it makes me ENJOY it all the more. I might be able to get down to a bottle of wine a week and drink wine of the quality that is a regular feature of the life of [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION].

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'm the same.
I spent 20+ years drinking virtually every day. This has led to high cholesterol levels, which has forced me to reduce my intake. I now, for the most part, just drink on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, so my intake is about 20 units a week. The amount I'm spending on each unit has increased, and it makes me ENJOY it all the more. I might be able to get down to a bottle of wine a week and drink wine of the quality that is a regular feature of the life of [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION].

For reasons that are entirely beyond me, I’m truly lucky to have a very low cholesterol level. I really shouldn’t have, but I’m taking it.

My drinking varies enormously - I’ll go for days on end with nothing, and then have a big splurge. It’s a “bring out your best” dinner and wine tasting evening tonight at mine with friends. I’ve selected what I’m showing, and have a feeling it’s going to be a splurge day.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For reasons that are entirely beyond me, I’m truly lucky to have a very low cholesterol level. I really shouldn’t have, but I’m taking it.

My drinking varies enormously - I’ll go for days on end with nothing, and then have a big splurge. It’s a “bring out your best” dinner and wine tasting evening tonight at mine with friends. I’ve selected what I’m showing, and have a feeling it’s going to be a splurge day.

Are you suggesting that there's a causal relationship between best and splurges?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm intrigued by this thread, because I read it and think maybe I am supposed to WANT to stop drinking.
Why would you think that? If you're drinking small amounts and it's not causing you a problem, then why would you think you should be stopping? It sounds like alcohol isn't having the same affect on you as some others in this thread.

You drink a beer or two and then drive :eek: You'd better hope the NSC driving police don't find out.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here