Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Grandparents

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Used to love popping in to see Me Nan,could sit for hours listening to Her stories of Brighton back in the old days,all Her tales of the Blitz,She lived to 101 and when she went it was in her favourite chair with the snooker on.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Used to love popping in to see Me Nan,could sit for hours listening to Her stories of Brighton back in the old days,all Her tales of the Blitz,She lived to 101 and when she went it was in her favourite chair with the snooker on.
Snooker claims another life.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My GP on my mum's side, I never really knew much, but on my dad's side, I couldn't have asked for better GP.
Always have fond memories of cycling over from Bexhill, to stay with them in Fairlight and staying for weekends.
Brilliant times :)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I was very lucky that I got to know all 4 of my grandparents, the first died when I was 15 and the last sadly left us when I was 31 so I got to form close relationships with them all and they all influenced me in some way. My grandfather on my dads side, along with my Dad, is responsible for taking me to Albion games at The Goldstone when I was a kid and sparking my love of the club. My grandmother on my Mums side refused to let my Mum tell me and my brother that she was in hospital after a minor stroke as she knew we were on our way to Cardiff for the play off final, she didn't want her being in hospital to spoil our day, we only found out when we phoned my Mum after the game and my Nan was more than happy to hear the news of the result and didn't want to talk about how she was doing at all, she was a tough old bird and served in the Army in WWII which is where she met my Granddad.

I agree with the sentiments of [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION], always try to find time to spend with them, if you can't do that give them a call.

If you never got to meet them go and pay your respects at their final resting place if you can. My Great Grandfather was killed in the first World War, so my Dad never knew him as he was born over 30 years later. About 10 years ago we found out he was buried at Tyne Cot and my Dad visited his grave and he told me how incredibly moving it was, something I never understood until I got to visit it a couple of years ago. I couldn't believe the emotion I felt standing there, paying my respects to a man I would never have likely known (he would have been approaching 90 when I was born had he lived).

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I'm so close to mine, and they are getting very fragile. Just thinking about a day without them gets me very upset. My thoughts are with you [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION]

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well my father in law is a self obsessed shit bag. The boy quite enjoys visiting him but I think that's entirely due to being supplied Viennese whirls.
Do a fair bit of dutiful visiting but it's a long way to watch a man in his 50s have a go at your heavily pregnant missus then sulk in his room (seriously).

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
My father's parents died when I was about 12/13.I never knew my mother's father as he died 8 years before I was born- my grandmother lived till 90 but she's been gone nearly 30 years now .Both my parents have died and all my known relations too and having quite recently become interested in genealogy I regret not asking them questions about their early lives. Even now (and my dad has been gone 17 years now and my mum 13 years I still think I must tell them such and such a thing - odd).

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Like you my Nan lived to101 and loved her snooker.
Unfortunately I never had the joy of grandads as both passed before I reached my first birthday.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My mum left me when I was less than a year old, and I then went to live with gran (dads side) mothers side did not want me, until she became ill, then I got popped in foster care until my dad got re married. Anyway long story short after I found her through the Red Cross and we met, I decided she was not a very nice person and cut all ties. She contacted me a few years ago and sent a letter asking to keep in contact and could she meet her grandchild. Now sometimes I get a pang of guilt, because I denied her that opportunity as I decided she does not need that type of individual or family history in her life. she knows all about my past and the fact I have half sisters and a brother I or she will never meet and why. I am not looking for sympathy, but sometimes now my gran who I was the closest with in the whole world and my step grandparents (who were very welcoming) have all gone, I think Jesus it could have all been so different and look what she is missing out on with her granddaughter and maybe I should let them meet, but I doubt I will because I can be a cold hearted sod when I want to be.

So here’s to you Granny J, I miss you terribly and wish you could have met Delta xx

Grandad J had already passed before i was born by the way.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Well, I'm on the other side of the fence to most here, as I am granddad to 11. My wife and I look after the two eldest as they were taken into care, along with their brother and sister, who we don't see - that hurts terribly.
The rest are a bit like an episode of Jeremy Kyle, with ADHD, ASD, Tourettes amongst the various conditions the kids suffer from.
Keeps me feeling young though!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Wouldn't know if any of my family is still alive since they've all decided I'm responsible for every bit of bad news since the dawn of time.
I really enjoy being around Mrs Gabba's family though. Sadly she lost her Nan a couple of weeks ago. She hasn't really spoken too much about it, she doesn't like to show when she's hurting but I know she's extremely upset. I know she misses her grandad and often talks about him quite fondly.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Both of my grandfather's were Canadian soldiers

One of them survived Dieppe, but was killed in Italy in 1944

I recently visited his grave,just outside Bologna

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The posts on here make it depressingly clear that those of us with parents / grandparents / step parents / anyone who is actually a decent person and has cared about you over the years are actually ALL really lucky.

My grandparents were a huge part of my upbringing, especially on my Mum's side. My parents split up when I was 5 and although I still saw my dad (and my stepmum) on a weekend it meant that my grandparents (grandma specifically as she didn't work) who lived up the road did a fair but of childcare. My mum worked as a teacher in Brighton and we lived in Lewes so I was dropped off / picked at school up by my grandma most days. Along with that and my dad not really being into sport (F1 aside) it was grandpa who I talked to about football and cricket etc and although he was a Sunderland fan at heart (from Durham) he instilled the fact that you support your local team and he also had a big soft spot for the Albion. They were like second parents and I could not have asked for more lovely people to do that role.

My dad's parents were very different with my grandpa being a total diamond and one of the nicest blokes you could want to meet but his Mrs (and I struggle to call her anything more) being a total nightmare who I now see blighted my dad's life and created his mistrust of women/people to the point where he was never any good at relationships. It was always "best behaviour" to the nth degree at theirs (except for grandpa rolling his eyes and giving me a few extra sweets when she wasn't looking). But as the years went by, he became more frail with a sharp brain and she lost the plot with dementia so the roles became slightly reversed. Basically he couldn't be bossed around by a tyrant any more...... I do know that she loved me, him and my dad though. She was just crap at it.

Anyway. In the grand scheme of things, they were all different, I miss them all in different ways and I was very lucky that I was in my 20's before I lost any of them.

My son is 11 and he's also lucky in that not only does he have all his natural grandparents, due to divorce and remarriage he has a whole load more.

My mum and her husband live five minutes walk from us and we see them all the time. My stepmum (with my dad from when I was 5 to 18, see above) lives in Brighton and is as much a grandma to him as anyone else. She bought him his first Albion kit age 3, I love her to bits. My wife's dad lives in Sheffield and although not remarried has a "friend" who my son treats as another "great aunt" or similar, both lovely people. My dad and his wife live in Uckfield and although he's crap at keeping in touch, my son still sees them and knows they love him. My wife's mum (not supposed to like your mum in law but she is amazing) also lives nearby and until recently her husband was another granddad to him. One of the closest actually and was super supportive of his cricket achievements from a really early age.

But he died of cancer in December at 63. Lung cancer, having never smoked and being a really fit bloke who loved walking, cycling, cricket etc. Hereditary apparently but that doesn't help. My son wrote his own speech (with a bit of help) to read at his memorial ceremony while wearing his Yorkshire kit. RIP Graeme.

Roundabout way of saying I totally agree [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] . Tough times, but better than never having had the good times. Take care.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sadly never really known the love of a grandparent. Three were dead before I was born, and I have only a very vague memory of my dad's dad as he died when I was pretty young. :down:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
We are Parents and Grandparents, Parents to 39 and 37 year old sons and a 32 year old Daughter, we have 7 grandkids ranging from 21 (we celebrated his 21st last Friday with him and his girlfriend) to 3 years old (nearly 4) .....we are quite lucky, well we think so................we had our 3 quite young so hence the age range in the Grandkids I guess, but we are lucky in many ways :thumbsup:

Our advice, look after ALL your family, nothing is forever.........

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We are Parents and Grandparents, Parents to 39 and 37 year old sons and a 32 year old Daughter, we have 7 grandkids ranging from 21 (we celebrated his 21st last Friday with him and his girlfriend) to 3 years old (nearly 4) .....we are quite lucky, well we think so................we had our 3 quite young so hence the age range in the Grandkids I guess, but we are lucky in many ways :thumbsup:

Our advice, look after ALL your family, nothing is forever.........

Lovely thread and the many posts are truly moving in so many ways. We are grand parents to two lovely girls, and our time is theirs -with the added benefit of being able to hand them back at the end of the day!! The bond between child and grand parent is so strong.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, I'm on the other side of the fence to most here, as I am granddad to 11. My wife and I look after the two eldest as they were taken into care, along with their brother and sister, who we don't see - that hurts terribly.
The rest are a bit like an episode of Jeremy Kyle, with ADHD, ASD, Tourettes amongst the various conditions the kids suffer from.
Keeps me feeling young though!

Wow! I don't envy you.

Living in Sittingbourne.

:wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here