Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have to agree with the motivational bit on Strava. Some good riding so far this year and not into proper spring yet. I think this summer will see some serious miles being rode on Geeks. As for Glader's I think he's a fictional character ??? :lol:
Oh I'm sure he exists.
What people don't understand is he was sent back in time by SkyNet on a mission to reverse the direction the earth spins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have to agree with the motivational bit on Strava. Some good riding so far this year and not into proper spring yet. I think this summer will see some serious miles being rode on Geeks. As for Glader's I think he's a fictional character ??? :lol:
Of course the best and easiest way to improve our cycling is to lose a stone or two off our bellies.
But obviously that ain't happening anytime soon.

I got a kudos from glanders today.

Happiest

Day

Of

My

Life.

(if only I was being sarcastic, it certainly was appreciated)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Of course the best and easiest way to improve our cycling is to lose a stone or two off our bellies.
But obviously that ain't happening anytime soon.

I got a kudos from glanders today.

Happiest

Day

Of

My

Life.

(if only I was being sarcastic, it certainly was appreciated)

All this riding and I've lost just shy of a stone. Happy days. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All this riding and I've lost just shy of a stone. Happy days. :thumbsup:
Oh well done, that's brilliant.

I've got myself down to the weight I reach x amount of months after I've thought 'blimey I'm so fat'.
I'm just hoping hitting my usual ceiling during March instead of July will mean I can actually kick on this year and lose 'extra' weight.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Oh well done, that's brilliant.

I've got myself down to the weight I reach x amount of months after I've thought 'blimey I'm so fat'.
I'm just hoping hitting my usual ceiling during March instead of July will mean I can actually kick on this year and lose 'extra' weight.

Well it's not affecting your pace. If it ain't broke and all that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well it's not affecting your pace. If it ain't broke and all that.
Big hills and gravity say otherwise.

If I can't ride 'through a hill' a la Coombes, I'm still in big trouble.
I'd love to be able to climb properly and drastically reduce the 'grind'.
But I know that's pretty much impossible all the time I'm riding with a baby elephant shoved up my jersey.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Big hills and gravity say otherwise.

If I can't ride 'through a hill' a la Coombes, I'm still in big trouble.
I'd love to be able to climb properly and drastically reduce the 'grind'.
But I know that's pretty much impossible all the time I'm riding with a baby elephant shoved up my jersey.

:lol: you done ok up the bostal the other day. While I've got your attention what are you riding on? I'm on a 52/34. No granny ring and I done that climb last year form the roundabout from steyning, sheep cote lane I believe, and was nearly pulling wheelies.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lol: you done ok up the bostal the other day. While I've got your attention what are you riding on? I'm on a 52/34. No granny ring and I done that climb last year form the roundabout from steyning, sheep cote lane I believe, and was nearly pulling wheelies.
Just a regular double, 53/39.

I have upped the rear cogs on my winter hack to 13/29, I think.
From the more traditional 12/25.

I was totally under geared going up the bostal on Monday.
Obviously it's tough, full stop, but I definitely knew I was short a couple of gears.

I finally had a brainwave and today swapped rear wheels, in preparation for Friday's ride.
I've got enough chain on my carbon bike to take the extra cogs, so hopefully when I'm dragged up some silly cliff face, by Col du Col, I'll be better equipped.

I'd forgotten how 'easy' a piddly little 6%er is after something like Steyning.
I flew up Washington, a climb I always grind out on.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Just a regular double, 53/39.

I have upped the rear cogs on my winter hack to 13/29, I think.
From the more traditional 12/25.

I was totally under geared going up the bostal on Monday.
Obviously it's tough, full stop, but I definitely knew I was short a couple of gears.

I finally had a brainwave and today swapped rear wheels, in preparation for Friday's ride.
I've got enough chain on my carbon bike to take the extra cogs, so hopefully when I'm dragged up some silly cliff face, by Col du Col, I'll be better equipped.

Thanks Stat, maybe I now need to work on My hill climbing. Look forward to looking at Friday's profiles. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks Stat, maybe I now need to work on My hill climbing.
I've used Strava for that.

Pick a decent climb, for me Bury Hill, and every couple of weeks or so I just keep having a dig at my previous PB.
It helps that my mate Phil has set some good, but not impossible, targets to ride at around my way.
Over the winter I've taken a minute off my time and added nearly 1.5mph to my average speed.
(I've got to find 13 seconds more to beat Phil)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
In the absence of a NSC meet up this weekend I'm half tempted to reverse my route from Saturday as I feel sure it will be slightly more climby that way round. I mapped it back out on the Bryton site and it seems that it is indeed tougher in reverse, but then the miles don't quite match so I can't have got the route exactly the same. So my question is this...

Anyone know how to just reverse a saved route rather than have to map it all back out again? I realise most of you with maps here have a Garmin, but is there a trick to get up a simple reverse route that would work on any gps system?

Oh, and while I'm at it...anyone know how to export a route as a gpx for other Strava uses to download from Strava, or do you have to save it on your own computer and then send it to them as an attachment via email or something?

I'm not having a lot of luck finding the answers to either of these questions elsewhere so far (possibly because I'm having trouble framing the questions in a clear and concise way :dunce:)

Edit: Scrub question 1, just found the facility on the Bryton to switch the start and finish points around :)

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That is how your represent the Rainbow Stripes Kwiat :facepalm:

Farcical ending to the Dwars Door this afternoon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That is how your represent the Rainbow Stripes Kwiat :facepalm:

Farcical ending to the Dwars Door this afternoon.
What happened, it wasn't on any channel I have.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Catalunya was better, though similar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Illegal stream.

Watch from 2km to go.
Oh dear.
Someone didn't read the World Champion small print.

Having Eurosport I'd forgotten the joy of trying to learn a new lowland language, while not knowing exactly which one.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
OK, having broken many rules already by signing up for multi-sport heresy, I put the tri bars on today as I felt I needed to train in the TT position!

A few things became apparent -

- my vastly reduced flexibility compared to the last TT I did (I was 19!) means it's a good job I don't want more kids. The numbness is impressive!

- tri bars and mudguards is a ridiculous combination

- tri bars and a rucksack is both ridiculous looking and a pain in the arse as it keeps getting you in the back of the head.

- tri bars have not provided the speed boost I hoped for. I have to accept that I am just much, much slower than I used to be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the absence of anything else forthcoming I'll restart the ball rolling.

2 Potential dates for a club ride:-

Probable (for me at least) Saturday 16th May.

Possible Sunday 26th April, the day after Watford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here