Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeopathy could be blacklisted

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Being available on the NHS effectively gives the whole thing a sense of scientific legitimacy. If people want to spend their money on it, fine. But let's not pretend it's anything other than a load of mumbo jumbo. If the NHS were really in the business of prescribing placebo's, they can just hand out sugar pills without having all the ritualised nonsense of homeopathy.

Perfectly summed up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
are these available on the NHS? i would very much like that.

They could be but unfortunately there is currently £16 million pounds of budget being allocated to complete bolllocks. On balance I'd probably spend it on some more nurses though.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Blue Valkyrie,

I appreciate that you don't wish to divulge the condition you had, however, can you clarify that the homoeopathic treatment itself worked and by this I mean independently of any other treatment (including the body's own ability to heal)?

You state you had taken conventional medicine, it could be argued that this worked or at least had a progressive effect albeit either in a timescale or way you didn't not fully realise.

Earlier you mention the 'flat earth' argument and the Higgs Boson. I'm not sure your case does well to include these, the former (in the context of a criticism whereby truths are ignored) is largely a myth as from the 4th century BC the Greeks had worked out the earth was spherical. The latter, concerning the Higgs Boson, actually counters your point. The concept of it was built upon through discovery after discovery involving peer-reviewed research. Scientists sharing and critiquing theories, peer reviewed research is something homeopathy doesn't fare well in (http://www.badscience.net/2007/11/the-lancet-benefits-and-risks-of-homoeopathy/).

I'm glad that you recovered from what you had, that I suppose is the most important point. However, it's worth considering whether that was genuinely through a homoeopathic cure. The example I'll always give the is 'falling toddler', every so often there'll be a news report about a toddler surviving a fall from a considerable height. Now based on the "it worked for me" way of thinking, would you advocate all toddlers are safe to fall from this height? Experts might rally round and say "dropping a toddler from 25 metres" is dangerous, but cue the parent on the sofa with a toddler in the morning's news arguing that it was ok and that little Jimmy is fine.

Odd example I know but hopefully it'll underline the point I'm trying to make about the importance of making sure something's really safe before you advocate it.

Anyway cheers for your points and hope you are well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
nope. case closed in that the hypothesis for homeopathy isn't internally consistent and doesn't make any sense sort of way. the claimed mechanics in homeopathy is that water holds some form of memory. firstly this should be demonstrable through experiment and secondly all the water we have contains memory traces of everything it ever had contact with, good a bad, in conflict with each other and the supposed medicine. the base liquid used for dilution would contain all manner of contaminants. its not a case of saying it doesn't work, it cannot work as claimed.

The homeopathy doctor on the Today programme this morning was hysterical.

John Humphries: "how does it work?"
Bloke: "I'm not sure, it just does"

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry, I'll pass on getting so personal - it was ongoing for many months though, but not serious in the grand scheme of things.

Well if it wasnt serious then I thought you might like to share it and discuss it, but I understand as its your shout and I suspect even you know that there is no logical reason why your homoeopathy treatment might have impacted on your ailment, yet you still choose to believe it :)

Have you ever thought that unless your condition was terminal or chronic our bodies are brilliant at healing itself anyway, nearly everything that is administered prior to the 'upward curve of getting better' can then be hailed the reason why you have got better even without any scientific reason, its how most alternative medicine practices survive !!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Same logic applies to those of you who genuinely believe that wearing a lucky top will influence the outcome of a Brighton game (actually I have used the same turnstile all season and we have yet to lose, which clearly proves it is the use of this turnstile that is resposible for our success).

:lolol: Likewise, don't believe in any sort of mumbo-jumbo, but when it comes to football...

I haven't got my hair cut all season because I'm afraid that it will end in the unravelling of our season & relegation. I just don't want it to be MY fault.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Blue Valkyrie,

I appreciate that you don't wish to divulge the condition you had, however, can you clarify that the homoeopathic treatment itself worked and by this I mean independently of any other treatment (including the body's own ability to heal)?

You state you had taken conventional medicine, it could be argued that this worked or at least had a progressive effect albeit either in a timescale or way you didn't not fully realise.

Earlier you mention the 'flat earth' argument and the Higgs Boson. I'm not sure your case does well to include these, the former (in the context of a criticism whereby truths are ignored) is largely a myth as from the 4th century BC the Greeks had worked out the earth was spherical. The latter, concerning the Higgs Boson, actually counters your point. The concept of it was built upon through discovery after discovery involving peer-reviewed research. Scientists sharing and critiquing theories, peer reviewed research is something homeopathy doesn't fare well in (http://www.badscience.net/2007/11/the-lancet-benefits-and-risks-of-homoeopathy/).

I'm glad that you recovered from what you had, that I suppose is the most important point. However, it's worth considering whether that was genuinely through a homoeopathic cure. The example I'll always give the is 'falling toddler', every so often there'll be a news report about a toddler surviving a fall from a considerable height. Now based on the "it worked for me" way of thinking, would you advocate all toddlers are safe to fall from this height? Experts might rally round and say "dropping a toddler from 25 metres" is dangerous, but cue the parent on the sofa with a toddler in the morning's news arguing that it was ok and that little Jimmy is fine.

Odd example I know but hopefully it'll underline the point I'm trying to make about the importance of making sure something's really safe before you advocate it.

Anyway cheers for your points and hope you are well.
The condition I had was ongoing for a small number of years. Many conventional treatments taken. Within 2 days of taking a homeopathic remedy it was cured.

Now this cannot have been a placebo, as I had probably more belief that the conventional treatments would work. Surely as a minimum they would at least have the same placebo effect?

So we are left with coincidence, or that there is an explanation.

I am not saying it is not coincidence, merely that I do not rule out an explanation ( other than placebo effect ).

I do believe that the widely held dilusion of water objection to homeopathy totally disregards quantum physics and further yet undiscovered physics beyond even that.

Thanks for your concern, by the way. The ailment was not serious.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Well if it wasnt serious then I thought you might like to share it and discuss it, but I understand as its your shout and I suspect even you know that there is no logical reason why your homoeopathy treatment might have impacted on your ailment, yet you still choose to believe it :)

Have you ever thought that unless your condition was terminal or chronic our bodies are brilliant at healing itself anyway, nearly everything that is administered prior to the 'upward curve of getting better' can then be hailed the reason why you have got better even without any scientific reason, its how most alternative medicine practices survive !!

Absolutely. regression to the mean.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
The condition I had was ongoing for a small number of years. Many conventional treatments taken. Within 2 days of taking a homeopathic remedy it was cured.

Now this cannot have been a placebo, as I had probably more belief that the conventional treatments would work. Surely as a minimum they would at least have the same placebo effect?

I am not saying it is not coincidence, merely that I do not rule out an explanation ( other than placebo effect ).

I do believe that the widely held dilusion of water objection to homeopathy totally disregards quantum physics and further yet undiscovered physics beyond even that.

Good to hear that you're ok, as I said that's the important thing. The context of quantum physics was mainly to contrast with the way you build up scientific knowledge through theory and test with experiments. Hawking betted against it ever being found, but it was. I find this at odds with homeopathy which relies on the 'don't know' far more than the 'know'.

As has been discussed, there's no real way of knowing what cured your condition.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The condition I had was ongoing for a small number of years. Many conventional treatments taken. Within 2 days of taking a homeopathic remedy it was cured....

clearly.

the problem is that those quantum physics or undiscovered physics would apply to all the other diluted chemicals contained. what homeopathy is saying is if i dilute something deliberately it will have a medicinal effect, but ignore all the other substances diluted they dont count and have no effects. if homeopathy was real the treatment would give you many, many other ailments.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

By the very definitions of quantum physics, every single water molecule in the entire universe is indistinguishable from every other one. They can't retain any sort of 'memory' that is any different from others.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:lolol: Likewise, don't believe in any sort of mumbo-jumbo, but when it comes to football...

I haven't got my hair cut all season because I'm afraid that it will end in the unravelling of our season & relegation. I just don't want it to be MY fault.

Yeah, I have absolutely no shame at all doing any type of Mumbo J when it comes to football. Years ago I used to do something called Magic Lucky Darts, which involved predicting the outcome of games with, er, darts. It all stared on the Hereford Afternoon (I couldn't get tickets), when I played OCD darts all game, while getting increasingly drunk, listening to the commentary (which for reasons unknown was the first and last time I ever got a Seagulls commentary on the radio here in Kent). After that I used to predict the whole season's results at the start of the season using Magic Lucky Darts. I used to cheat as well. :lolol:

Apologies for subverting this thread abut M Jumbo into yet another thread about Brighton and Hove Albion. :ffsparr:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Surely as a minimum they would at least have the same placebo effect?

Nope. Not at all.

Its been shown that an injection of saline has a far better placebo effect than a single blank white pill, similarly three coloured pills are better than that blank white one and so on.

You believed the water (that's all you got - water) was going to work, and that significantly improved its placebo effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here