Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just read an article today which states the UK doesn't have a population register. The inference being that EU citizens who settle in the UK do not register their residence. Is this true? What do EU citizens have to do when they decide to settle?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've just read an article today which states the UK doesn't have a population register. The inference being that EU citizens who settle in the UK do not register their residence. Is this true? What do EU citizens have to do when they decide to settle?

Effectively the NI number takes care of this. You need an NI number for free NHS care, for benefits and also if you work in the UK.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
National insurance register? Or is that only for people who need to work/claim benefits

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Over 96 per cent of residents are born in the UK and 97.9 per cent are ethnically white. EU immigrant figures are less than half the average. Please explain the point you are making.

Have you got anything to back up these figures? The 2011 Census had the UK as 87% ethnically white and with 12% born outside the UK and the ONS estimated that for 2014 that had risen to 13%. Here in 2017, it's a fairly reasonable assumption to assume that white ethnicity has dropped further and UK residents born outside the UK has increased too.

Here's my source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...localauthoritiesintheunitedkingdom/2013-10-11

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Effectively the NI number takes care of this. You need an NI number for free NHS care, for benefits and also if you work in the UK.

Okay. But are you required to have this i.e. do you legally have to register for this?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
National insurance register? Or is that only for people who need to work/claim benefits

Sure. My question was more about a requirement, although this wasn't clear. Do you have to legally register with something e.g. so the government know you reside in the Uk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Have you got anything to back up these figures? The 2011 Census had the UK as 87% ethnically white and with 12% born outside the UK and the ONS estimated that for 2014 that had risen to 13%. Here in 2017, it's a fairly reasonable assumption to assume that white ethnicity has dropped further and UK residents born outside the UK has increased too.

Here's my source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...localauthoritiesintheunitedkingdom/2013-10-11

You do appreciate that the whole conversation was about Barnsley? http://www.southyorks.police.uk/sit...se population of South Yorkshire Oct 2014.pdf

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Okay. But are you required to have this i.e. do you legally have to register for this?

Not as far as I know however if you're super-rich and resident then you won't need an NI number but you will be paying UK taxes by virtue of UK residency so you'll have a tax reference with HMRC...so you will be on another list.

The article you read is right that there's no definitive single register but I'm not sure we need one if HMRC have you on one of its databases or if it's even practical to do without a national identity card scheme.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And you really helped your argument - whatever it was - by using fake news type statistics.

Hold on a second. There was a light conversation about Barnsley. I pointed out that all the statistics suggested that the town doesn't have exceptional immigration issues. One of these stats concerned where residents were born. A poster responded in the usual way that I was delusional, stupid and clearly had no knowledge of living in areas subject to significant 'commonwealth' immigration. I took his point to be that the 'where were you born?' question doesn't indicate a great deal in areas where large scale immigration from commonwealth countries occurred more than a generation ago. It's a fair general point but the fact that the 'ethnic white' percentage in Barnsley is unusually high - nearly 98% - shows it doesn't apply to the town we were talking about.

So what are the 'fake news type' statistics you accuse me of?

PS There is nothing wrong in raising the issue of Commonwealth ethnicity but I don't really know why it was done given that this thread is about the EU

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To practical issues.

Off to Barnsley shortly and it’s important to get the preparations right. The locals are just as intelligent as everyone else but the stats show that they are a bit less healthy, a bit less happy, a bit more unemployed and a bit less educated than average. They’ve attracted a disproportionate amount of EU investment but have a fraction of the average number of immigrants from other EU countries. Immigration is not an issue - over 96% of residents are UK-born.

The problem is that they appear to love UKIP and hate the EU so much that South Yorkshire police had to tell Remain supporters to stop campaigning before the referendum - the levels of threatened and actual violence against them meant that they couldn’t guarantee their safety.

I’ve bought some tiny St George’s flags to stick over the ‘vile’ EU symbol on the number plate and I’ll avoid having any Albion branding about my person - it might reveal that I come from one of Britain’s strongly Remain-supporting and pro-European cities. I’ve perfected my Lincolnshire accent in case I have to speak in public. Someone gave me a ‘Make America Great Again’ bumper sticker. Would that help?

You do appreciate that the whole conversation was about Barnsley? http://www.southyorks.police.uk/sit...se population of South Yorkshire Oct 2014.pdf

According to the Link provided it could be concluded that whilst average in number,the Polish (EU) immigrants are the most numerous of all immigrants within Barnsley and as a result,it's had some impact on their decision making...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
According to the Link provided it could be concluded that whilst average in number,the Polish (EU) immigrants are the most numerous of all immigrants within Barnsley and as a result,it's had some impact on their decision making...

I don't want to be critical but that's really very thin. The clever thing you've done though is to embolden and quote my words 'average number of immigrants from other EU countries' but not the words immediately before them. For the benefit of listeners those words were 'but a fraction of'.

The nice people of Barnsley overwhelmingly put their ticks in the second box on the referendum form and I understand why. As our born and bred host explained to us yesterday though, the reasons weren't much to do with the EU and were nothing to do with immigration. It may have been different in places such as Boston of course.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Will every away match in the north from hereonin be accompanied by superior sounding comments about how they voted in the referendum ? It just sounds so bitter.

I don't feel remotely superior to anyone, and certainly not the people of Barnsley. The only reason it is still being mentioned at all is that some people have tried to argue that black is white, or vice versa.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I don't want to be critical but that's really very thin. The clever thing you've done though is to embolden and quote my words 'average number of immigrants from other EU countries' but not the words immediately before them. For the benefit of listeners those words were 'but a fraction of'.

The nice people of Barnsley overwhelmingly put their ticks in the second box on the referendum form and I understand why. As our born and bred host explained to us yesterday though, the reasons weren't much to do with the EU and were nothing to do with immigration. It may have been different in places such as Boston of course.

Feel free to be critical,it was thin and clever.....what was their reasons?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sure. My question was more about a requirement, although this wasn't clear. Do you have to legally register with something e.g. so the government know you reside in the Uk

there isnt any register for anyone in the UK, and therefore there is nothing specific for non-UK citizens. Electoral roll is the nearest thing and you are supposed to register those entitled to vote, but i don't believe its compulsory. for the issue of determining EU citizens in the UK before some cut off date, they could simply ask for evidence of residence, bills, receipts could be used, to cover those that dont have an NI or made contributions in a period.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't feel remotely superior to anyone, and certainly not the people of Barnsley. The only reason it is still being mentioned at all is that some people have tried to argue that black is white, or vice versa.

It's just the way it comes across. I think that time would be better spent making a positive case for the EU rather than
sniping at people who voted Leave. Not aimed at you personally as I am aware you are fully happy to
engage in such positive debate. I just wish the whole debate would move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here