Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray red (and appeal)

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Tend to agree with this as although the shot was goal bound, Stockdale was right behind and would probably have got the ball.
Usually refs take the goalkeeper out of the calculation. If a player is through on goal with only the keeper to beat and a defender chops him down then most people would agree with a red card despite the keeper being in position to save.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It's a tough one - instinctive block or broken nose from a shot hit point blank and very very hard. Bit harsh I think. But it's only one game ban - We'll miss him Tues though.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Protecting his face ffs

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very much a game of opinions and shows why video replays for certain things may not work.

Personally, I feel that if you're defending your face from the ball (as soft as the person is being!), it shouldn't be red as the ball would have hit the person anyway. A yellow would have been sufficient in my eyes.
Indeed. It's being made out like his hands were by his side, and he raised them to stop the ball - that's not what happened. He already had his hand in front of him - the choice he was faced with was:
a) get my hands out of the way and take it in the face
b) not get smashed in the face

With the amount of time he had to think, there's no time to make the choice properly, so he went with self preservation. IMO it should be a penalty, as while he couldn't help it, his arms shouldn't be there in the first place.
But I don't think it should be a red card, because it didn't stop a goal, it just stopped him getting smashed in the face.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Usually refs take the goalkeeper out of the calculation. If a player is through on goal with only the keeper to beat and a defender chops him down then most people would agree with a red card despite the keeper being in position to save.
But the current (new) law means that's not a red if it's a penalty.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
It's a shame we don't have him for Cardiff but in the end it was a fair red card, and it worked out ok for us.

Sheffield are going to suffer more for their reds however.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I thought players/staff sent off had to leave playing area immediately not stand on touch line watching the penalty being taken?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Pen yes, deny goal oppertunity no (face was behind his hands and Stockdale was ready to save). Should be pen but no card. Not deliberate and didn't deny a goal by hand balling, but it's one we have to take. I'm just happy with 3 pts.

Dec 29, 2011
Pen yes, deny goal oppertunity no (face was behind his hands and Stockdale was ready to save). Should be pen but no card. Not deliberate and didn't deny a goal by hand balling, but it's one we have to take. I'm just happy with 3 pts.

Blatantly deliberate in my opinion. He knew if he quickly ducked Stockdale wouldn't have seen it in time to save and it would have been a goal. Any other area of the pitch and he moves his head slightly to one side to avoid getting hit in the face.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've been wondering if I imagined this, they did change the rules didn't they? may be worth appealing if that's the case as the ref clearly forgot the rule change.
They changed the rules about a foul in the box, which is the scenario I was replying to. They didn't change the rule for a handball that stops the ball crossing the line, like the Leeds game. Murray's was a bit different though, as I think it was going to hit his face, not go in the goal. The Leeds one was 100% going in if he didn't use his arm on purpose. Quite different.

Thought you couldn't give pen and red now
See above.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
They changed the rules about a foul in the box, which is the scenario I was replying to. They didn't change the rule for a handball that stops the ball crossing the line, like the Leeds game. Murray's was a bit different though, as I think it was going to hit his face, not go in the goal. The Leeds one was 100% going in if he didn't use his arm on purpose. Quite different.

See above.

Forgot about the Leeds pen and red, fair enough, seems a bit daft though that you can commit a 'professiinal foul' and it's not a red, but can't deny a goalscoring opportunity with your hand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mark Halsey ex Ref says on twitter it was a poor decision by the ref and that BHA should appeal it as Stockdale was behind him so he didnt save a goal and the maximum should be a yellow and a penalty. I thought red was correct byut he would know better than me. At least it helped us get 3 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here