Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Christmas meal dillemma

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bin it and let everyone know why...she'll be gone by next year and you've given everyone a secret santa they probably all wanted: her resignation.

Speaking of secret santas: probably time to recall the time three years ago when my hapless recently off-shored Indian colleague on a large IT project got Bernadette drawn out of the secret santa hat. Didn't know the lady in question, wasn't previously aware of the name at all. But did know that the guy who ran the Deli across the road was called Bernard. Put two and two together - and got Bernadette a shaving kit :ohmy: :facepalm:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
if only it was that simple

It is that simple. Have done it loads of time like this.

Set a deadline for payment and state that any late payers need then to take the deposit themselves and get a receipt to prove to you it's been paid. Pretty much most of it can be done online or over the phone.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
So, for years I have organised the office meal. Half day off for those who attend and what started off at just 8 has escalated to 32 for the last couple of years.
Quite a bit of work goes into it, sourcing venue, collecting and paying deposits, communicating fayre with pub, collecting balance and providing attendees with the food choice on the day cos they get pissed or rabbit too much.
Now I have never asked for anything just a pint or two maybe, however this year I thought i would charge a couple of quid extra to cover a £40 tip and pay for my meal, I communictaed this as an "admin fee".
So today I ask for food choice and balance and I get one old hag (who has a gripe with me anyway) question the "admin fee" and after telling her, she refused to pay full cost, i.e. the extra couple of quid.
Fair enough I will give you back your deposit and someone can take your place I tell her.
Well after "copy all" to 32 she accuses me of work place bullying and unless I reinstate her at the price she is willing to pay i should expect a call from H R.
I am inclined to reinstate her, tell everyone to pay the price of the meal only , sort your own tips out, pay the pub the balance and **** off home.

What would you do?

Cancel the lot, send an email around to the company and say it's now the Old Hags responsibility.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
On the positive, I would be ****ing delighted if I was told a work Christmas party was cancelled and you can have your money back.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Get a refund from the venue. Continue collecting from everyone else but inform them that the admin fee has gone up to a tenner due to a previously unmentioned service charge. 2 days before trouser the money and tell everyone you was robbed on the way to pay the outstanding balance.
That'll teach em.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I used to arrange a Xmas meal for my family as no one would bother seeing each other. After the third time people were complaining about the cost and other things. I usually paid for half the meal and let the others (around 12 of us with kids) sort it out. Got pissed off in the end and said I've had enough of it. It's never been or organised since. ;(

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whilst she is being petty and I have sympathy with you, I really wouldn't appreciate a colleague charging an "admin fee" to cover his own damn dinner. I think that's pretty underhand to be honest. As has been said, charge no admin fee, just arrange it and then negotiate your own free meal with the venue. Anyone who consequently has an issue with that is surely a complete nob.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm with the hag. You don't ask anyone else to pay for your meal just because you have to organise it and, whilst no reason not to make it easier on the day by asking for tip money up front, why call it an admin fee unless you are hiding the fact that you are ripping your workmates for a free meal. Suck it up mate, you got it wrong. Man up, come clean, apologise and relinquish the role of Christmas lunch organiser.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I would say that as long as you are putting the extra money behind the bar, you are in the clear. Getting a free meal out of it isn't in the spirit of Christmas.

Most people I know would happily put their change & a note into a whip

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Refund all money and cancel the event and then make it known why and who was responsible. Then arrange another one as an informal meal nothing official with the people you chose and would like to go with.

Don't do that. It will be construed as bullying!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
£1.00 each! have been upfront about it for the last four years and was this time when asked by said hag, i didn't like to mention the £40 i got stung for two years ago, because its no biggie. 25/32 know the score and happy to contribute.

Right mate, you need to plot now. Don't get angry, get even.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here