Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What a fxxkin up Syria is......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Russia has been involved in Syria for decades. It was Russian weapons being used to attack Israel back in the 60s. I know it's fashionable to knock the West in these threads, but Russia has caused unrest in the Middle East for a long time. That's one of the reasons we have listening posts in Cyprus, to try and keep an eye on what they're doing.

Quite. Russia and Syria will clear up ISIL, and settle some other scores in the process. Putin gets his presence in the region. Meanwhile the west sits by and . . . agrees with it (at least as I deduce from the lack of opposition and indeed the murmers of agreement by a british diplomat on the radio today). Putin is one of the few leaders around today, apparently, who understands the principles of war (Clausewitz). Here are the principles of strategy:

(a) To conquer and destroy the armed power of the enemy; always direct our principal operation against the main body of the enemy army or at least against an important portion of his forces
(b) To take possession of his material and other sources of strength, and to direct our operations against the places where most of these resources are concentrated
(c) To gain public opinion, won through great victories and the occupation of the enemy's capital
use our entire force with the utmost energy
the decisive point of attack
never to waste time
surprise plays a much greater role in tactics than in strategy
pursuit
forces concentrated at the main point
an attack on the lines of communication takes effect only very slowly, while victory on the field of battle bears fruit immediately
In strategy, therefore, the side that is surrounded by the enemy is better off than the side which surrounds its opponent, especially with equal or even weaker forces
To cut the enemy's line of retreat, however, strategic envelopment or a turning movement is very effective
be physically and morally superior
stores of supplies, on whose preservation operations absolutely depend
The provisioning of troops is a necessary condition of warfare and thus has great influence on the operations
independent action

None of the above is being realised by 'the west'.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What leader could bomb, gas and shoot his own civilian population, year after year?

What is most worrying is that despite this Russia is prepared to support him personally., thereby being complicit in the murder of civilians on a huge scale.

Really shouldn't believe everything western media report on this one. The whole mess has been caused by the Saudis and the west arming rebels against a sovereign nation in the first place. Qatar and the Saudis have been desperate to topple Assad so that they can control the oil flows out of the region into Europe whereas Russia and Iran benefit from Assad being in control of Syrian pipes!! And that pretty much is what it's all about. And then there's been the lovely added benefit of IS (Saudi funded) thrown into the mix. Total utter mess and no good guys in this one.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wouldn't it be more likely that we would keep an ear on what they're doing given that we have listening posts?

vlcsnap-2011-11-18-16h24m28s52.png

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Team Assad for me

Yep I agree. Syria was a US planned target for regime change in 2001. Bashar Al Assad only took over a year before.

General Wesley Clark put this in the public domain.

https://youtu.be/9RC1Mepk_Sw

Then we have the Wikileaks from 2006 where it discusses in detail how to destable the country and cause unrest.

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/06DAMASCUS5399_a.html

I listened to a Sunni Syrian speaking on Aljazeera, who worked in the Syrian government dealing with immigration, but was also working for the US, and his job was to give citizenship to foreign fighters.

Then we have had the US, UK, Saudi, Turkey and other Sunni state warmongering from the sidelines and building up the passion for an uprising, and then supplying them all with US arms via Turkey and Saudi. It hasn't worked, Assad is still there and they have u-turned on demanding that he leave, and have decided it can only be resolved politically, which is what Assad and Russia agreed to do originally.

If the so called rebels really cared about civilians they wouldn't be fighting from and hiding in populated areas. The war could stop tomorrow if they wanted to, but they have made it clear that they will keep on fighting until Assad has gone or they all die themselves. They don't care about civilians, and distressed children is only a photo opportunity for their propaganda.

The Syrian Army lost over 50,000 soldiers by 2014, with thousands of them being routinely traded and beheaded between all the groups.

They know that if the blink or give an inch, they are dead. These rebels are basically using the people they supposedly care about as human shields.

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
totally bemused by the mass destruction in Syria...........why doesn't Putin stop bombing and send in 5000 crack commando's to take the insurgents at ground level......there is zero consideration for innocent Syrians in this blanket bombing of Aleppo.....last week a ceasefire was announced and this week we have seen the heaviest bombing yet......apparently the heaviest amount of artillery dropped on a target since the yanks were blindly dropping MOAB'S on the mountains trying to whack that al queida chap.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No, I'm not having that. Let's stick to facts here shall we - what, exactly, has he ever done to you?

Putin was against the war in Iraq, Libya and Syria. I don't mind him and he hasn't caused as much trouble as Bush, Blair in Iraq or Obama Cameron in Libya and Syria.

If some people believe he is a nutter, we could have had far worse than Putin.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Putin was against the war in Iraq
Because he has an oil deal with them, and he's always against anything the US are doing.

and Syria
Because he supports a regime that is slaughtering their own citizens!

And what about annexing Crimea?

I don't mind him and he hasn't caused as much trouble as Bush, Blair in Iraq or Obama Cameron in Libya and Syria.
It appears we see things very differently :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
totally bemused by the mass destruction in Syria...........why doesn't Putin stop bombing and send in 5000 crack commando's to take the insurgents at ground level
How can Putin send in Glaswegians?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Really seems to be a hiding for nothing for all involved. I do have humanity and realise why many thousands of people have fled, I just wish that most would claim asylum in the FIRST safe country they arrive in.

Putin seems to be an absolute arse, Assad should be charged with war crimes, strangely the Americans seem to come out with the least criticism right now although they have admitted some mistakes.

Horrible for the innocents caught up in this, very sad all round.

They do. The immediate neighbouring countries are hosting about 90-95% of them.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/09/world/welcome-syrian-refugees-countries/index.html

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I used to agree but now think that it shouldn't be the first country they arrive in that should bear the burden. Just because you border a country in turmoil you shouldn't be expected to take on the role of saviour. It is an international problem and we should all contribute to the solution...whatever that might be

What you really mean is that poor people in big cities should contribute , as it's these people that will be competing for housing ,jobs and health care, not somebody in Dorset.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
What you really mean is that poor people in big cities should contribute , as it's these people that will be competing for housing ,jobs and health care, not somebody in Dorset.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion? Also there are plenty of people in Dorset who fall into the category you mentioned so not sure of the relevance of that apart from me living there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here