Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singers/bands that are very successful and good but you just can't like.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They are incredibly uncool though that's their problem.

I get what you mean but i am not sure it is that much of a problem for them. They still have plenty of fans, sell out massive venues and shed loads of records.

To me they have had a few good songs but urprises me that they can stir up enough emotion in people to make them angry. They are just Meh

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just the first boy band franchise :shrug:

Sorry - but that's just wrong.

Like them or not but they changed the face of British music and were fronted by two highly talented singer songwriters.

Listen to the diversity of Fool on the Hill, Helter Skelter, While My Guitar Gently Weeps etc.

As I said, you might not like them but they were far far more than a boyband franchise

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry - but that's just wrong.

Like them or not but they changed the face of British music and were fronted by two highly talented singer songwriters.

Listen to the diversity of Fool on the Hill, Helter Skelter, While My Guitar Gently Weeps etc.

As I said, you might not like them but they were far far more than a boyband franchise

I think you had to live through their rise to realise just how massive their influence was. No band or singer has come remotely close since imo. Millions were totally wrapped up in their lifestyle and music and they spearheaded what was a youth revolution. There were plenty of others too but the Beatles were THE band for a few years.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I also hate 90% of "Britpop". I'll allow a little Blur and all of Cigarettes and Alcohol but all that other stuff it spawned - Sleeper, Supergrass, Feeder, Toploader etc - can't get iin to it. Pulp never made one record I liked either. Ugh.

Thanks, I've just switched my youtube to Blur

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Another vote here, probably for similar reasons.

Also <prepares to be flamed>: Madness.

I hate forced wackiness in any sphere, and they are the absolute kings of it. Don't dislike all of their music as such, though I don't own any of it. I just find their whole persona irritating.

Actually you're spot on Vicki. Coldplay are clearly musically adept. I saw them live at Earls Court way back and it was a great gig but except for The Scientist almost every song bores me when I hear it on the radio. Madness were great when I was 10. I never once imagined (and I doubt they did) that they'd be doing that dance all these years later and 50 year old blokes would be aping it.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think you had to live through their rise to realise just how massive their influence was. No band or singer has come remotely close since imo. Millions were totally wrapped up in their lifestyle and music and they spearheaded what was a youth revolution. There were plenty of others too but the Beatles were THE band for a few years.

The Beatles were only THE band that took all of THE credit.

This bloke has an interesting take: http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html if you have the time.

I don't dislike the Beatles quite as much as he does, but I do find it interesting that the classic rock historical criticism that emerged in the nineties credited them with inventing so much stuff that evidence suggests they only brought to the attention of the masses. This, for many Beatles fans, seems to have since become an undeniable truth that they will not allow to be questioned by unbelievers.

I suppose history is (re)written by the winners.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

This bloke has an interesting take: http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beatles.html if you have the time.

I don't dislike the Beatles quite as much as he does, but I do find it interesting that the classic rock historical criticism that emerged in the nineties credited them with inventing so much stuff that evidence suggests they only brought to the attention of the masses. This, for many Beatles fans, seems to have since become an undeniable truth that they will not allow to be questioned by unbelievers.

What is important is that they were a conduit to bring it to the masses? They admitted to being heavily influenced by Buddy Holly, The Beach Boys and the Byrds and I name those off the top of my head. I'm not sure they ever tried to take credit for everything. Well maybe McCartney did and does but he's always been an insecure tosser :smile:

I liked the Beatles, personally find it hard not to, but I was always a bigger fan of American music than the Beatles, Stones and Kinks so i am not suggesting that the Beatles were the best just that they carried the most clout and the media hung on their every utterance.

"Bigger than Jesus" anyone?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh God, how could I have forgotten one of my all time musical pet hates.

Elvis. And that includes anyone who uses the phrase "King of Rock'n'Roll" or simply "The King" when referring to him.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

An interesting read, and while I don't agree he does raise a number of interesting points.

Certainly the Beatles were mainly writers of 3 and 4 minute songs (mainly) and never ventured into the Velvet Underground or Pink Floyd soundscape. The point about removing any trace of black music from rock and roll is a comment more about the times than anything else. Elvis Presley was basically the same, in that by removing any trace of black music, his records were played on the radio and brought by white teenagers. It has always been acknowledged that the Beatles and others incorporated early American rock 'n' roll and blues into their music and exported it back to the States.

I also don't believe that the Beatles ever thought or themselves as the best musicians around in the 1960s and have always seen Clapton, and then Hendrix as far better guitarists than themselves. They also knew that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the band.

We all know that talent doesn't always equal significant record sales, and significant record sales doesn't mean that the artist is hugely talented.

It is doubtful that after returning from the army, that Elvis Presley wouldn't have sold as many records as he did without the success of his early singles before he joined the army, as his output moved towards safe middle of the road.

Clearly music is always down to the listener and how they react to the sound, and the more someone likes the songs the more likely they are to say that the artist is talented, hence all those polls in the music magazines back in the day nearly always resulted in the best singer, guitarist, etc being from popular bands.

Not liking the Beatles should not be an issue, they were at their height 50 years ago and music has moved on, which can be seen from any top100 albums of all time which has complied since the 2000s, in that previously the Beatles were always guaranteed to have at least 3 albums in the top 10, but now all their albums receive a lower position.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Oh God, how could I have forgotten one of my all time musical pet hates.

Elvis. And that includes anyone who uses the phrase "King of Rock'n'Roll" or simply "The King" when referring to him.

Heathen, Elvis Costello is the King of America

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I could go on for days on this thread but the really irritating ones are Coldplay and their lesser spawn (Keane, Snow Patrol), anything by U2 from The Joshua Tree onwards, anything by REM after Green, Coldplay, Bob Dylan, Mumford and Sons, Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Simple Minds, anyone who's worked with David Guetta, Luther Vandross, Coldplay, Iron Maiden, Rihanna, Adele, Coldplay, Kanye West and Coldplay.

Did I mention I f***ing hate Coldplay?

Yeah, just about nailed it (especially spotting exactly where U2 turned into poo) :bowdown:

I have to say that Under the Iron Sea is really a rather good record.

Also, I would regard everything up to and including New Gold Dream to be very decent (but after that they became simply grotesque).

As far as the OP specifies ('very successful and good but just can't like'), I have to include only folk I concede are 'good' (which excludes the likes of Rhianna, Adele, Edsherron and others - they are bland shysters). So here goes:

Gil Scott Heron (apart from 'Johannesburg' which is magical)
Tim Buckley (dreary)
Elton John (obviously crap now, and Love Lies Bleeding is great, but the rest - meh)
John Mayall (Father of Blues Rock - utterly boring. Sorry)
Electric Light Orchestra. I really want to like them, but they got Smashy and Niceyd to death, for me
Rick Wakeman. I attended the recording of journey to the centre of the earth. But the fawning HGSB sixth formers who worshiied this over-indulgent shite put me right off
In the same vein, Yes, and the Italian copyists, PFM.
Argent. Saw them at the Dome, but just can't like them
Stevie Wonder. There are a couple of songs I like, but otherwise he leaves me cold, cold, cold. Even Kurt Angle can see he's annoying (one for NSC vets :lolol:)
The Eagles. Hotel California, especially.
Roy Orbison. I don't like his voice. Sorry!
Jean Michelle Jarre. And I love synthipop, too. Boring!
Kraftwerk. Blasphemy, perhaps. Apart from Computer Love, which is divine.
Slade. Apart from Cos I Luv You. If I heart that Christmas song another time I will 'literally' eat my own testicles.
Frank Sinatra. I appreciate the craftmanship, but he just leave me cold. Prefer Matt Munroe
Mozart. Supposed to be a genius but it is just self-indulgent emotionless technique-**** to me.
Cher. Apart from Gypsies, tramps and thieves.
Antony Hegarty. Apart from the odd moment, I find his music depressing
Tears for Fears. Apart from the odd track.

I'd best stop now before I lose what's left of my post-Brexit will to live :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here