Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The most astonishing thing for me is how JFC manages to become invisible when playing for us. That unimaginative, safety-first style of his means that he always seems to be hiding.

Having missed the opening announcements, it was not until the 78th minute that I (and others around me) came to realise he had actually been on the pitch. That was when he was substituted.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Why does he get in the England U21 side?

Something about their style of play must suit him. I watched one game when he played and he seemed to just hold deepish and mop things up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So you don't think NSC latches on to a particular player as a figure for lambasting (see Barnes).

Yes, course it happens. Barnes was a curious one because as a striker he was often judged on here primarily on his goals return, which in the Championship was never going to be prolific, so that was always going to be used a stick to beat him with. He brought a lot more to the team in the role he was asked to play in, as some would recognise and acknowledge, and some would not. With some posters, once their opinion on a player gets crystallized, it becomes entrenched. They refuse to change it and actively look for that player to have a poor game or do something stupid so they can jump on it to prove themselves "right all along". Barnes was just one of those marmite players.

I don't think JFC has attracted anything like the vitriol Barnes did on here. He gets some leaway compared to him as he's young, a local lad, and not judged on a goal return. But do I think he's gone backwards over the last 12-18 months with his BHA performances ? Absolutely. We can blame managers, roles, team-mates, tiredness etc, but whatever the reason, he has had a very poor season, and people are within their rights to call it how they see it. I hope he turns it round of course, why wouldn't I ? But if he has a similar season for us next year to this, then I'd have to wonder whether he's really got what it takes at this level.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The most astonishing thing for me is how JFC manages to become invisible when playing for us. That unimaginative, safety-first style of his means that he always seems to be hiding.

Having missed the opening announcements, it was not until the 78th minute that I (and others around me) came to realise he had actually been on the pitch. That was when he was substituted.

Without meaning to be rude, that says way more about your reading of a game (and the 'others around you') than it does about him. The midfield three of JFC, Kayal and Stephens were the highlight of the Albion performance on Saturday, and were bossing the league leaders' counterparts, to the extent that their manager had to scrap his game plan and introduce an additional midfielder to outnumber them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I realise this isn't going to be popular, but hey. JFC will turn out to be one of the best players to ever wear the stripes, not "the" greatest but will play at the highest level and will get full England caps, in my opinion. He has a talent, I don't think that's in dispute, but he hasn't really had a settled club life and a strong run in the team. We have some of the best fans in the country but we also have some utter morons, people who wait for him to get anywhere near the ball and then shout abuse, how does that really help any player?

We even had someone moaning at him a couple of weeks ago and he wasn't on the b****y pitch!

Talent such as Ince, JFC, Solly etc are going to have to be handled carefully, developed, have their confidence built and they will make mistakes. If they are to try new things, to take on difficult moves and switches it'll go wrong, the more we abuse the less they'll try it and fall into the trap that English players have done for decades, play it safe and keep your head down.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
A difference in playing syles perhaps, slower keep ball at u21 against faster pressing in the league showing a lack of change of pace in his game, I got to amit that when he finally got his break into the team, at a time when Poyet had a whole load of injuries, I was excited by what I saw, a young player eager to get forward but then he was sent out on loan and it didn't seem to do him any good, this was at a time when we had several quality m/f players he should have been learning off of ,not bottom league players. Now he seems to have come to a halt in his development but I really do hope next season CH and team can bring him on but we need to find his best position in the m/f.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems to have bulked up to me. If he can start passing forwards instead of sideways I look forward to seeing him flourish for us next season. If someone makes a half decent bid for him I expect him to go, we NEVER stand in the way of an ambitious player if we can get some money for him.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

(See my comments above, this is what happens to players who are too scared of making mistakes, too worried about the abuse and have such a desire to please, they keep their heads down and do anything that's safe instead of using their natural skills and ability. Lucklily we have a brigade of fans who see this as a good thing, abusing players until they curl into a shell and then they can say "See, I told you he was crap")

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally, I've never been 100% convinced of JFC when I've seen him play (which recently hasn't been very much). But he's 21, he's certainly not shìt, and more qualified people than me appear to rate him. Therefore, I really hope he stays with us because I'm willing to bet we'll reap our reward in the coming season or two.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd keep him. At the moment, I don't enjoy watching him play. He's not offering enough. But he's young, and worth a little more time. But not that much more.

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
I've not been to many games this season - but from Saturday I recall he unleashed the tamest of shots from just outside the area, from almost the exact same position he scuffed almost to the corner flag in the playoff semi first leg last year (to sighs all round).
He looked keen and tidy against Wolves early on, but low on confidence when under pressure, or maybe that applies to the whole team...

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Without meaning to be rude, that says way more about your reading of a game (and the 'others around you') than it does about him. The midfield three of JFC, Kayal and Stephens were the highlight of the Albion performance on Saturday, and were bossing the league leaders' counterparts, to the extent that their manager had to scrap his game plan and introduce an additional midfielder to outnumber them.
You might think that. But I had no trouble immediately recognising the presence - and contributions - of Stephens - a bit meh, but better than the abject performance (goal notwithstanding) I saw at Wigan - and Kayal (confident, clever and classy).

The fact that JFC gets games for the U-21s says more about England's problems than his strengths.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The fact that JFC gets games for the U-21s says more about England's problems than his strengths.

The 'problems' that saw England qualify unbeaten, as the highest scorers, and having beaten tournament favourites Germany last time out?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd keep him. At the moment, I don't enjoy watching him play. He's not offering enough. But he's young, and worth a little more time. But not that much more.
Sounds about right to me too.

The world of football is littered with players and ex-players who once upon a time were considered bright young prospects, with the potential to go right to the top - but never did. The thing is that at some point they needed to stand out from the crowd and fulfil that promise. That time is fast approaching for JFC.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sounds about right to me too.

The world of football is littered with players and ex-players who once upon a time were considered bright young prospects, with the potential to go right to the top - but never did. The thing is that at some point they needed to stand out from the crowd and fulfil that promise. That time is fast approaching for JFC.

If England U21s win the Euros this summer, and JFC plays every game (he's started the last 6) people on here will still maintain that they did it despite him, and that he 'did nothing'.

Not 'standing out' and not performing an important role are two entirely different things.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally, I've never been 100% convinced of JFC when I've seen him play (which recently hasn't been very much). But he's 21, he's certainly not shìt, and more qualified people than me appear to rate him. Therefore, I really hope he stays with us because I'm willing to bet we'll reap our reward in the coming season or two.
You must be referring to some of the brilliant footballing minds on NSC :)

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Seems to have bulked up to me. If he can start passing forwards instead of sideways I look forward to seeing him flourish for us next season. If someone makes a half decent bid for him I expect him to go, we NEVER stand in the way of an ambitious player if we can get some money for him.
Yep I thought that on Saturday too - his upper body especially. Much needed IMHO but I too thought he had a decent game. I still think there's a good player there waiting to get out - hopefully see that in the U21s and then carry it through to next season.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
No pace,not creative,can't shoot and normally can't tackle so gives a foul away most times.

Offers jack shite and should be in league 2....most overrated player ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here