Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2018

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am no food snob and have eaten several times in the Spoons, you get what you pay for and for what you do get there, given the price is pretty good value

The owner is a cock but I use them. I’d actually argue you get more than you pay for on the beer front.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A long time ago, I used to write about alcohol for a few years. It was at the turn of the millennium, when the cocktail scene was really kicking in. I reviewed Leeds and it was probably the most exciting city for cocktails. There was also a stand out 'mixologist' called Jake Burger (in London, my favourites were Dick Bradsell, then Tony Conigliaro). If the cocktails you had were that good, I wonder if he had something to do with it, whether making or involved in the training. There was also a cracking bar back then called Mojo, which had a delicious seediness while just about every other cocktail bar was high-end and design-oriented.

I must confess to not being a cocktail expert; so me saying they were the best I’ve had, while true, may not be an entirely convincing recommendation! I did notice a whole boatload of cocktail bars, many of which looked appealing from the outside. Mojo is still there; we passed it.

My hotel was in spitting distance of the location of what Bozza has identified as Jake’s place. Bugger - would have tried it had I known.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey. I remember Mojo. 15-20 years ago I think. My memory is a bit vague but I remember it had a red hue and some neon inside. Still exists according to the web.

The more I think about this it was NSC’s [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] who recommended this place to me. He came along as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a couple of trips to London lined up for Feb...:couldn’t help myself but book into St Johns on both occasions. It was the minced beef thread what did it.

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I went to Polpo after the game on Saturday too as my missus went in London recently and really enjoyed it.

We were very well fed with 1 beer and 1 glass of wine with the 20% off came to £42 which I thought was very good value. I enjoyed the food and concept, although she said the beef shin ragu tasted better / richer in London - possibly the Brighton one had not been cooked as long and was a bit more tomatoey?

I'm going to Polpo in a couple of weeks. How did you get 20% off?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bankers Fish & Chip Restaurant - Brighton

Been on the to do list for a while, annoying as should have gone sooner as a really fantastic old school, no nonsense quality eating place.

Starters, both had garlic prawns and mains, me cod and chips the Mrs salmon steak and salad.

Starter was immense, lovely garlic runny sauce and bread to dip in as well, quality. Mains were perfectly cooked and very tasty with a decent reasonably priced fruity red wine.

Well worth a visit, sensibly priced and tipped well for good service so 9/10.

Pay a visit you will not be disappointed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Duddell’s, Southwark. Cantonese. First foray overseas for the owner of a 2* HK Restaurant of the same name.

Highly feted. Crap. Worse - crap and expensive. Best thing - a tasty citrus chilli dip. Worst thing - everything else. I’d have rather had a chicken wrap from the local kebab place (which is superb).

Don’t bother. Seriously, don’t.

1.5/10

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Has anyone tried La Tana in Ladies Mile Road recently? I see it has some excellent reviews.

I went there last just before they were fire bombed. Always good quality food and good service. Portions are a decent size as well.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Time to bounce with a new review.

Went to Six with work the other day. Even with a large ish group the service was good ( helped by the rather pretty waitress ! ) and the food very good.

Had the Sussex Platter to start - a mixture of Sussex cheeses and cold meats. Very nice - only criticism would be not enough bread. Main was Duck with dauphinois potatoes and winter greens. Lovely - perfectly cooked. Definitely be going back with Mrs W.

9/10

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Around a third of Jamies' Italian Restaurants are closing due to financial problems, seems like the cheeky mockney boy overcooked it

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Around a third of Jamies' Italian Restaurants are closing due to financial problems, seems like the cheeky mockney boy overcooked it

I guess that everything, and everybody, has a sell by date unfortunately. Nothing lasts forever. I'm sure they made hay while times were good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

A number of chain restaurants branches are closing. Jay Rayner often mentions which ones in his Sunday review. From memory Polpo and Byron are two others closing up shops shortly. There’s others as well. It’s a very crowded market place.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A number of chain restaurants branches are closing. Jay Rayner often mentions which ones in his Sunday review. From memory Polpo and Byron are two others closing up shops shortly. There’s others as well. It’s a very crowded market place.

Byron were quite good but there are far too many chain restaurants. The shame is Oliver's issues will cost 400 jobs

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

I think rising rents and business rates have a big part to play, particularly in London.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to St John again last night. Spent some time in the bar with the missus a nice beer killing some time as we were early. The bar menu is quite astonishing and full of English classics.

The moved to the dining room. Had two starters: the bone marrow and parsley salad and a crispy pig skin and dandelion to start. Saddle of hare with red cabbage and bread sauce for main and a rum and raisin parfait for dessert. A couple of glasses of fizz and two glasses of red. First was heavy, second was even heavier. Both were stunning to my uneducated wine palate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here