Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd Ashes test: Aus vs Eng at the WACA

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Poppycock..who is saying that they are World Class?

Many experts on here when I have suggested about their failures in the past. We were told of how many wickets they have taken and runs they have scored with their averages. What was forgotten and not taken into account was the opposition they have faced to achieve those figures.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Many experts on here when I have suggested about their failures in the past.

I read most if not all the cricket threads and what has been said is they are good players if not somewhat inconsistent. Don't think anyone has banged a 'cricket legend' drum about them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Beamer at Smiths head.

If you can’t bowl him out, knock him out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Root let down by his bowlers again.

Well given that the Aussies are already 3 down with Khawaja getting two lives as well I'd say the bowlers have done OK. What killed us is losing 6 wickets for 35 runs in 51 balls.

This morning was text book England - I go to bed with us 365-4, I get up and turn on the telly to see the Aussies are 121-2 and next ball Root lets a good chance fly through the slips.

On the plus side Stokes hit a super 90-odd for Canterbury. :(

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Perhaps I am misreading other views but I do not see them as test match capable and we need to seek better.

BG, I think people react to your total dismissal of all current England players because a) you never offer an opposing even slight positive view to balance your critique and b) you know little about the game in general (citing yourself that you are not an expert and do not follow country cricket) which means when discussing selection you cannot offer a sensible alternative

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG, I think people react to your total dismissal of all current England players because a) you never offer an opposing even slight positive view to balance your critique and b) you know little about the game in general (citing yourself that you are not an expert and do not follow country cricket) which means when discussing selection you cannot offer a sensible alternative

When I say I do not follow county cricket I would add that I only really look at the scores and results as opposed to having an in depth knowledge as I did in my younger days in the eras of Peter May, Ted Dexter and then Graham Gooch.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Perhaps I am misreading other views but I do not see them as test match capable and we need to seek better.

They are more than test match capable. They are very good test players who more than warrant their place in the side.

Ali and Woakes are both proven match winners and have excellent test records over a decent sample size of years and caps.

Woakes took a 4 for in the last test and has generally bowled well without much luck.

I’ve seen some poor English test cricketers in my time, these two don’t fit the criteria. They are an asset to the squad and will play for England for the next 3-5 years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When I say I do not follow county cricket I would add that I only really look at the scores and results as opposed to having an in depth knowledge as I did in my younger days in the eras of Peter May, Ted Dexter and then Graham Gooch.

Bet you spoke well of Gooch after his pair on debut.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Without Stokes we only had a slim chance, but Cook, Root, Broad and Ali haven't shown up and without those big guns firing we could still be looking at a 5-0 whitewash.

The Stokes fisticuffs is probably the mostly costly instance of red mist to English sport since Beckham kicked Simeone in WC '98.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

So the 50's, 60's and 70's.
I think the game has moved on a bit since you last had your, if any, "in depth knowledge"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Getting back to the game in hand, we probably have come up about 50-75 light on first innings and we will probably concede a lead of some 50-100 before batting again. Sadly I can only see this game going in one direction unless we suddenly pick up quick, cheap wickets in the morning. I won't be getting up early.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Sadly our best hope of avoiding a 5-0 whitewash is to somehow hang on for a draw in this one, with the help of the rumoured rain showers over the last two days.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Up with the kid. Smith just guided Woakes between the slips. He’s such a good player but the lack of imagination shown by our bowlers is just depressing.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Australia lead of 200+ tomorrow. They won’t want to bat again after they declare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yet another battering for our bowlers whatever happened to the age old adage of bowling line and length and just keep plugging away to frustrate the batsmen into making mistakes looking for runs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here