Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pep Guardiola's yellow ribbon

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Wasn’t there an English club sponsored by a Union a few years ago? If that’s not political, I don’t know what is

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Maybe I'm just being cynical, but the only reason that I see for the FA sticking their snouts in this is because they are ensuring no-one dares wear anything that advertises or promotes something that is NOT paid to be there. Heaven forbid that someone takes a personal and moral stand, such as Pep, and it scuppers a perspective sponsorship deal with let's just say, Madrid-based Santander.

Don't even think about the FA stance being about a fear of it offending Joe Public, it's about ££££££, and the fear that it might offend a company who would otherwise have throwing some more cash into the trough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wrong sort of independence for you then? Catalonia OK, but................

I won't bother giving you marks out of ten for consistency..............

Yes you probably shouldn't if you can't even tell the difference.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Absolute c0ck, it's got nothing to do with football.

Why doesn't he hold a press conference on his own dime, outside of football?

He can do that, right?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes you probably shouldn't if you can't even tell the difference.
Your feathers are showing already - my suggestion has distinctly annoyed you. I expect you'll deny it vigorously (more feathers spat?) but I can't be arsed to argue about it. Oviously the mention of Brexit riles you, so I'll leave you in peace.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
it's an UEFA (or FIFA?) rule being enforced. no political symbols or slogans. i dont know why any one thinks its a bad rule, if we allow a few then we open the door to all sorts of political messages in football.

A rule that Pep himself has pointed out UEFA have decided not to enforce for Champions League.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
IF Pepe supported the KKK (which I believe he doesn't), then I would expect that all major European clubs would not employ him, given the racist connections with the KKK and the clear issues it would raise with team selection not being based on talent but being based on colour.

Perhaps you would like to test you theory of acceptance and attend the Arsenal home game in full KKK uniform.

You know the difference between the two, and a better example would perhaps have been wearing a United Ireland emblem, or Scottish (full) Independence emblem.

Still I will give you a wave when I spot your KKK uniform on Sunday

Your point is well made. My examples were chosen with the intent to make the point with maximum force and were not the best comparitors - your two examples are far better (but less impactful).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your feathers are showing already - my suggestion has distinctly annoyed you. I expect you'll deny it vigorously (more feathers spat?) but I can't be arsed to argue about it. Oviously the mention of Brexit riles you, so I'll leave you in peace.
Not quite. I've just yet to meet anyone who voted UKIP who isn't a complete bell end. Sorry. You're right about Brexit though, it does rile me.

Anyway my position on the yellow ribbon is that PG shouldn't be wearing it. I don't support the idea of poppy wearing at international games, and this is considerably worse. It's political. Keep it away from football.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Manchester City supporters now wearing the ribbons in support. Suggest that fans of other clubs, like us, should join them, at least when visiting the Etihad.

Oh, and make your own - don't let this become another money stream for outside the ground rip-off merchants!
Good idea and he might tell his team to go easy on us.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A rule that Pep himself has pointed out UEFA have decided not to enforce for Champions League.

does that mean we shouldnt hold ourselves to a higher standard?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mods can you please delete this photo. I clicked on the wrong one to upload, It is not showing as an <ATTACH> or I would remove it myself. It's not in any way to the point, and it's personal. Thanks.

mod edit: <happy for this one to stay, [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] ?>

Me edit - yes thanks!

Attachments

• yellriblow.JPG
    yellriblow.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe I'm just being cynical, but the only reason that I see for the FA sticking their snouts in this is because they are ensuring no-one dares wear anything that advertises or promotes something that is NOT paid to be there. Heaven forbid that someone takes a personal and moral stand, such as Pep, and it scuppers a perspective sponsorship deal with let's just say, Madrid-based Santander.

Don't even think about the FA stance being about a fear of it offending Joe Public, it's about ££££££, and the fear that it might offend a company who would otherwise have throwing some more cash into the trough.

it is cynical but probably also true. and what better way to control and vet messages than through commercial transactions?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What I was trying to post was images of Catalan flags and yellow ribbons all round Barcelona's ground but to state that their manager doesn't wear one himself. Also that Pep has probably got more publicity out of this from the FA than he would have if he'd just carried on wearing it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyway my position on the yellow ribbon is that PG shouldn't be wearing it. I don't support the idea of poppy wearing at international games, and this is considerably worse. It's political. Keep it away from football.

I'm broadly in agreement with Simster here. One assumes the FA (probably taking direction from UEFA) have to draw a line somewhere, or everybody will be wearing stuff. The annual poppy debacle grates with me every time.

I notice most appear to be on Guardiola's side re this issue. To play devil's advocate here: what would be the views on this subject if- entirely hypothetically!- James McClean turned out for a match wearing some sort of ribbon commemorating the IRA hunger strikers, or a Sinn Fein emblem?

Freedom of speech- or nothing to do with football?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm broadly in agreement with Simster here. One assumes the FA (probably taking direction from UEFA) have to draw a line somewhere, or everybody will be wearing stuff. The annual poppy debacle grates with me every time.

I notice most appear to be on Guardiola's side re this issue. To play devil's advocate here: what would be the views on this subject if- entirely hypothetically!- James McClean turned out for a match wearing some sort of ribbon commemorating the IRA hunger strikers, or a Sinn Fein emblem?

Freedom of speech- or nothing to do with football?
EFA.

The usual suspects would be in out in force whinging about an anti-English bias. They always are on subjects like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here