Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thomas Delaney

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
The way I see it, if Delaney signed for us it would mean Propper could play sometimes where he does now and sometimes in the Gross role. That way, with rotation, all three of them, plus Dale, would be getting regular games.

Yep, been saying this a while. We would still need another midfielder though (in addition to Delaney).

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
That would be Schelotto (sp?) then - although I think El Capitan might be the one who is the back up next season.
This.

The man is a greyhound and had a quite a few games in the Prem. (one where here was pole axed)

The first few games I thought all he did was knock it backwards but he came into the games and was a good outlet down the right.

I like him.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That would be Schelotto (sp?) then - although I think El Capitan might be the one who is the back up next season.

Deeply concerning if our first choice RB going into the new season is Schelotto. He's had some great moments, but the bad ones have been getting the basics wrong time and time again.

He's much more a wing back/right midfield for me so unless we change formation I'd like to see another RB added.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Deeply concerning if our first choice RB going into the new season is Schelotto. He's had some great moments, but the bad ones have been getting the basics wrong time and time again.

He's much more a wing back/right midfield for me so unless we change formation I'd like to see another RB added.

My thoughts exactly. The basic defensive and positional errors, most of which were nothing to do with a lack of game time, suggest to me he is not a right back, and certainly not at this level.

He could be effective in the right circumstances, and had some good moments last year, but I’m not sure where he can be accommodated in our current system.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We finished 15th with our existing RB pairing, and now we've improved the squad round them. Yes, there's always room for improvement, but I won't be worrying unduly about our RBs this coming season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need 9 defenders in the 25, so 1 short, but Balogun can play both right and left back ( prefers right ), so at most we are 1 left back light.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think Delaney would be great in the current Propper role. The Dutchman could back up all 3 central spots and get plenty of games then Kayal is a natural 5th choice and extremely capable in any of the 3 spots very much becoming 'the Sidwell' of next season.

Doesn't add a lot of pace but would fit in to what we seem to go for well, and maybe just up the quality a little. But that increase would then trickle down to the bench spots too making it very worthwhile as a signing.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yep, I would have felt more comfortable with Calderon playing RB. Schelotto can be more Bambi than Greyhound at key moments in defense, and it gives the opposition an advantage to tactically to play on his side.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Delaney would be great in the current Propper role. The Dutchman could back up all 3 central spots and get plenty of games then Kayal is a natural 5th choice and extremely capable in any of the 3 spots very much becoming 'the Sidwell' of next season.

Doesn't add a lot of pace but would fit in to what we seem to go for well, and maybe just up the quality a little. But that increase would then trickle down to the bench spots too making it very worthwhile as a signing.

I don’t think it would be Propper losing his place

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I don’t think it would be Propper losing his place

I don't think you understood his point. 4 players for 3 places in the side with Kayal as cover. Propper is a converted 10 pretty much and CH likes to play with 2x sitting midfielders.

Gives us plenty of options and won't be the same midfield every week as we are used to.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
This.

The man is a greyhound and had a quite a few games in the Prem. (one where here was pole axed)

The first few games I thought all he did was knock it backwards but he came into the games and was a good outlet down the right.

I like him.

Did not like his last performance against Liverpool , where defending was tough and he went missing big style

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I don't think you understood his point. 4 players for 3 places in the side with Kayal as cover. Propper is a converted 10 pretty much and CH likes to play with 2x sitting midfielders.

Gives us plenty of options and won't be the same midfield every week as we are used to.

Propper has played twice as a no10... both for the Netherlands

He even said himself it wasn’t a position he had ever played before until he was asked to by the manager, his last two appearances have been back in a midfield 2.

He also never played it for PSV ... was part of a midfield 3

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Propper has played twice as a no10... both for the Netherlands

He even said himself it wasn’t a position he had ever played before until he was asked to by the manager, his last two appearances have been back in a midfield 2.

He also never played it for PSV ... was part of a midfield 3

Where has he played as a sitting midfielder, other than here?

Perhaps you missed the interview for BHA where he stated where we play him is not a position he is used to and has had to adapt.

For me, he needs to play further forward.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Perhaps you missed the interview for BHA where he stated where we play him is not a position he is used to and has had to adapt.

He is used to playing in a midfield 3 not a deep lying midfield 2...... he had opportunities to get forward from a midfield 3

So whilst you are right he hasn’t played as deep as we ask him to, he also has never played as a number 10. He is probably best suited to playing in a midfield 3 but we don’t play with that system currently.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

He said he had to adapt to the premier league and that at the time he played as a number 10 role for The Netherlands. He came forward more for PSV than he does for us I hope he can do that next year for us however he wasnt a number 10 for them. Koeman also plays him in a more defensive midfield role. We had a really bad spell when he was suspended we dont have anyone other than Stephens to fill in for him I would like to see better cover and competition for their positions.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
He is used to playing in a midfield 3 not a deep lying midfield 2...... he had opportunities to get forward from a midfield 3

So whilst you are right he hasn’t played as deep as we ask him to, he also has never played as a number 10. He is probably best suited to playing in a midfield 3 but we don’t play with that system currently.

I agree. However, IF we were to sign Delaney or someone very similar (Neto etc..) I would expect to see Stephens/Delaney shielding our back line much more often than we are likely to see Propper/Stephens or Propper/Delaney simply because of how CH wants us to play. Maybe we'll change formation but I doubt it.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

We may do next year if Hughton changes to three CB's

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Which he won't.

You're welcome.

Never say never.

Taken from the Argus this time last year.

Albion boss Chris Hughton has revealed his tactical blueprint for the Premier League.
He will not be copying Antonio Conte or Arsene Wenger.
But he will slightly modify the 4-4-2 system which has served the Seagulls so well in the Championship.
Conte has guided Chelsea to the title after responding to a heavy defeat at Arsenal early on in the season by switching to a three at the back.
Wenger's recent change to three centre-halves and wing-backs has also coincided with an upturn in results for the Gunners.
Albion youngster looks on as Coventry clinch promotion
The Albion-type test facing promoted trio in the Premier League
Albion new boy Balogun makes Premier League consolidation his first priority.
Hughton has no plans to follow suit when the Seagulls launch their first season in the top flight for 34 years in August - although he has not totally ruled out the possibility of using the formation at some stage.
He told The Argus: "At this moment, no. As a manager and coach you are always looking to develop. Up to now I have not used a three.
"You always have to be open-minded and I can absolutely see the value of the system.
"When you play a three at the back there are, for me, two reasons why you play it. One is to give yourself occasionally five at the back, which means you can be defensively solid.
"What that system also does, depending on how you play it, is allow you to do what you want up front.
"Some will play 3-5-2 but the way Chelsea do it is very much 3-4-3.
"It allows you to play two strikers and to be solid at the back or in Chelsea's case - and nobody does it better - it allows them to have Hazard and Pedro or Willian (below) in really offensive positions.
"I wouldn't ignore it. I think you have to be open-minded, particularly in the Premier League."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here