Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Whats it looking like for you?

Pb'd at Worthing early June in 40:08 but have struggled with a tight hamstring ever since. Only quick run since then was Park Run Saturday and that was tough even going sub 20 so unlikely to threaten sub 40 this time round. I reckon a time of around 40:30-40:45 is most likely.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
so who's on the list for Wednesday, pretty sure of the following but I think there were others? [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]

Forecast looking ok with wind dropping to around 10mph

Worried that you've remembered it's on. Was hoping you would do a Run Squad session the day before. You'll need to beat last year's time to guarantee not losing to me for the first time in over 5 races.

I'm there. First 10k this year and no idea what to expect. See you all there

Will be mentally prepared to see you come zooming by but you're another hamstrung victim and hoping not.

I will be there, I am still scratching around looking for some form though and my preparation hasn't been good. The NSC leaderboard for this race is going to be an interesting read, very strong and deep field of runners.

On past form a medal hopeful and your lungs took the consecutive relay legs at the recent Weakest Link easily.

I will be there but legs carrying many miles as only just over 5 weeks to the Reykjavik marathon! Guess I will have to step up from my 11 minute mile training pace :)

Hope you like the Viking Chant.

I'll definitely be there on Wednesday. Encouraged by a 5K PB on Saturday though not by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] belting past me :lolol:. I think I will be aiming for around 46 mins which would be five mins better than last year and ten better than my first ever BM10K.

You'll be happy if your 2 seconds behind me tomorrow but probably 2+ minutes. Your improving though I'm going the other way. Soon meet.

Yeah looking for a sub 40.. But itll be hard as ive done very little speed work... My only real aim this year has been to maintain form and fitness..so hopefully the same again..ill stick to 40 marker then see what happens..

I fully expect to hand the crown on!... (classic sandbaggin! )

Only chance of you not retaining the crown is if you decide to catch a train to the start.

Pb'd at Worthing early June in 40:08 but have struggled with a tight hamstring ever since. Only quick run since then was Park Run Saturday and that was tough even going sub 20 so unlikely to threaten sub 40 this time round. I reckon a time of around 40:30-40:45 is most likely.

Still get in the medal position even by taking it easy. Nurse the hamstring and go sub 40 when fixed.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
1468310420589-1131228764.jpg

For anyone who doesn't know us I will be dressed like Peter Snell all black but bald head and will drape an Albion flag over my bike near the marquee on the lawns.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yeah, I love it. It's not missed a beat since I've had it - no really quick or slow miles that I sometimes see on other people's runs. I've never even thought about not locking onto GPS - I set it to run as I leave the door and it's good to go when I reach the bottom of the drive a few seconds later. I'd say it holds charge for a good week or more - I'm not entirely sure how long, but it has never run out between charges for me. I've gone out for runs with it on less than 20% and it's still fine.

I've not delved into any of the more sophisticated functions but I'm not sure if it would, say, 'coach' me through a run where I wanted negative splits, mile on mile nor if I wanted to do intervals - run at a fast pace for a distance and then a slower pace recovery for a while and then back to fast pace etc. I've certainly not stumbled across these options anyway.

I know [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has the 630 which has a few more bells and whistles.

Cheers. On order and £50 off on Amazon today :)

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Did my first half marathon in seven and a half years on Sunday (and my third one ever), picked the North Downs Way half. A decent few weeks of proper training stopped about seven weeks ago and had been sporadic runs since then - booze and life got in the way. Absolutely loved the event, even though a bunch of us missed a turning and added an extra mile and a bit and 400ft of climbing.

14.4 miles, 1700 ft of climbing and tricky little narrow trails in two and a half hours. After going into it really worried about whether I was going to be able to finish, I've come out of it with a load of confidence that maybe I can do more than I thought I could and with a real drive to push myself a bit further. That said, I did exactly what you're not meant to do and popped three ibuprofen at the half way stage to try and ward off a bit of knee jip that flares up from time to time, worked a treat but I'll try and avoid that in the future. For the first time ever in a sporting event I actually properly managed my nutrition - stopped for a proper drink at the drink stations, did a gel every four miles and it worked well. Looking forward to the next one!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Did my first half marathon in seven and a half years on Sunday (and my third one ever), picked the North Downs Way half. A decent few weeks of proper training stopped about seven weeks ago and had been sporadic runs since then - booze and life got in the way. Absolutely loved the event, even though a bunch of us missed a turning and added an extra mile and a bit and 400ft of climbing.

14.4 miles, 1700 ft of climbing and tricky little narrow trails in two and a half hours. After going into it really worried about whether I was going to be able to finish, I've come out of it with a load of confidence that maybe I can do more than I thought I could and with a real drive to push myself a bit further. That said, I did exactly what you're not meant to do and popped three ibuprofen at the half way stage to try and ward off a bit of knee jip that flares up from time to time, worked a treat but I'll try and avoid that in the future. For the first time ever in a sporting event I actually properly managed my nutrition - stopped for a proper drink at the drink stations, did a gel every four miles and it worked well. Looking forward to the next one!

Sounds good fun. Apt username. The Three Forts Challenge Half of Full Marathon next May sounds right for you and your bunch.
http://www.threefortschallenge.org.uk/

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah, I love it. It's not missed a beat since I've had it - no really quick or slow miles that I sometimes see on other people's runs. I've never even thought about not locking onto GPS - I set it to run as I leave the door and it's good to go when I reach the bottom of the drive a few seconds later. I'd say it holds charge for a good week or more - I'm not entirely sure how long, but it has never run out between charges for me. I've gone out for runs with it on less than 20% and it's still fine.

I've not delved into any of the more sophisticated functions but I'm not sure if it would, say, 'coach' me through a run where I wanted negative splits, mile on mile nor if I wanted to do intervals - run at a fast pace for a distance and then a slower pace recovery for a while and then back to fast pace etc. I've certainly not stumbled across these options anyway.

I know [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has the 630 which has a few more bells and whistles.

I have a 630 as mentioned. Originally had a 620 but went for the 630 as it has a function that takes you back to your start point. Having the sense of direction of a goldfish, combined with living 3 months travelling each year, I get lost very easily.

The GPS takes longer to kick in than the 620, but as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, once up and going it seems to record data very well, with the only problem for me when running through tunnels (I live close to Manchester airport and regularly run under the runway).

Some of the 'smart' functions are more gimmicks than genuine features, but the linking to your phone for messages and so on is reasonable, if sometimes a bit hit and miss. The HRM functionality is good fun if you are a data nerd.

It's trying to be a smart watch, but there isn't enough memory on it to achieve those aims.

Overall I am happy that I bought it, it's a vanity purchase to a degree, and probably not worth the upgrade from the 620 unless you desperately wanted some of the new functions.

If the Apple watch had GPS on it I think they could have a killer product for the running market, but for whatever reason they don't seem interested.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I know this is a long chance but is anyone else running the Dublin marathon at the end of October?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Adrenaline is kicking in already. Have realised that I never set my own aims for the Phoenix. Aiming between 43-42 minutes. Pacing as follows (add 10 seconds outwards if windy):

Mile 1 7:00 pace
Mile 2 6:55 pace
Mile 3 6:55 pace
Mile 4 6:45 pace
Mile 5 6:45 pace
Mile 6 Go, Go, Go (sub 6:30)
Mile 6.2 Gone

Final time 42:29.
That's what happened in a dream last night anyway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Adrenaline is kicking in already. Have realised that I never set my own aims for the Phoenix. Aiming between 43-42 minutes. Pacing as follows (add 10 seconds outwards if windy):

Mile 1 7:00 pace
Mile 2 6:55 pace
Mile 3 6:55 pace
Mile 4 6:45 pace
Mile 5 6:45 pace
Mile 6 Go, Go, Go (sub 6:30)
Mile 6.2 Gone

Final time 42:29.
That's what happened in a dream last night anyway.

We had friends round for dinner last night and I was forced to indulge in wine and cheese. It's not a combo that produces those sorts of dreams.

In other news does anyone need safety pins for their running number? Both [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and I appear to have a surfeit.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We had friends round for dinner last night and I was forced to indulge in wine and cheese. It's not a combo that produces those sorts of dreams.

In other news does anyone need safety pins for their running number? Both [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and I appear to have a surfeit.

If a bottle of wine is de rigueur before a 5k, surely it's 2 bottles before a 10k?

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

Wine and cheese the pre race food of WINNERS. I'm need of pins but I was assuming there be pots of pins at check in?..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good luck to the Phoenix 7/8??. Hope the rain stays away and the wind calms down. I'll be thinking of you as I'm tucking into beer and tapas :lol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Top running [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] - I dragged myself around in 43:51, I set myself a 43 minute target after 2km, I was steadily losing time as the run went on though and couldn't get the tempo back up again. I'm happy with sub 44 though, that's a positive on where I've been at for a while and I would have taken a sub 45 this morning. Some very quick times from the other gents, very good racing conditions tonight as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As always a top evening and some fine performances all round.
[MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] retains his crown with a fine 39:20 something and I was a minute behind with 40:24.

Many other pb's to report too and good to catch up with a couple of pints at the Brunswick.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here