Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Axl Rose

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a risk but if it works this is going to be great fun. One element of rock/metal I like is the, at times, sheer ridiculousness of it. I also like the fact it's "big" and loud. With this in mind the Axl Rose appointment is perfect. Let's not be too precious about this just now.

I am seeing Maiden on May 31st in Berlin. I then travel to Leipzig to see ACDC. Maiden, DC and Axl all in 24 hours with plenty of beer and sausage. WTF.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Joe Dolce, they could add Shaddap Yer Face to the playlist as a rousing encore?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Michael Hutchence?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Very sad about this. I love AC/DC one of my favourite bands of all time and one of the best live bands I have ever seen. However there just seems to be something very expedient about the way they have handled this situation and Brian just seems to have been brushed under the carpet. In fairness it was not only his hearing that was gong but Brian's voice too and I suspect that is really why he appears to have been kicked out of the band. The last tour should have been the last one.

This all feels like an unseemly and undignified way for the band to sign off. I'm glad I didn't get a ticket.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
What an odd post.

Considering their lead singer for the past 30 odd years was a Geordie

fully aware that Johnson joined them from the band Geordie , (clue there !). My point is I happened to be in Australia when this story broke and opinion there was an Aussie should step in... what's odd about that ?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
George Michael?

I'm never gonna dance again..........because YOU, shook me all night long.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is all going to end in tears and will be the unfortunate nail in the coffin of an otherwise phenomenal career. Not a huge fan but this can only end with some Axl Rose flounce about the sound or he will start gigs two hours late.

Same thoughts here. I've no problems with singers being parachuted into bands as lead singers. Adam Lambert apparently covers the Freddie Mercury role in Queen adequately and Ian Astbury has done a great job with the Doors so it clearly does work. As you say, the big problem here is Axl Rose. He's notorious for being a prima donna in live concerts. Was it at Leeds a few years back where he was 3 hours late on stage? F*ck that, AC/DC fans are not the type to suffer fools gladly. If....big IF...the rest of the band keep him on the straight and narrow then it will be fantastic but I think it will end in tears.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I drove past the Carlisle Pub in Hastings a while back, Blaze Bailey was playing there.

As a Maiden fanatic I've always had a lot of respect for Bailey. He came into Maiden at a very difficult time when grunge was at its peak and Maiden's style was very unfashionable. Following in Dickinson's footsteps was always going to be hard what with his sheer vocal range and on stage presence. Bailey also had to work with some really dark stuff particularly on the X Factor album and singing the old Maiden songs live took its toll. What's interesting is the respect that Maiden and the fans have always had for him since in contrast to Paul Dianno who has tried to desperately live off the association for nearly 30 years

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Hmmm. Going to see AC/DC in London for the sign off tour and have been a fan fever since I first heard highway to hell as a kid. I was devastated when Bon Scott died and still think that his vocal is THE vocal is far better than anything Brian Johnson did...yes including Back in Black.

AC/DC are famously adept at binning members as and when it suits. They've even retired Malcolm young without so much as a shrug...when Phil Rudd had his "issues" in NZ they just carried on without him but let's face it...AC/DC is Angus..its his guitar that people turn out to hear and that takes an otherwise tight but unremarkable blues/boogie/metal band into a monster of rock.

Axl Rose WAS G&R as much as slash was so the marriage of an icon from one genre fronting another might just work. He cites AC/DC as the reason he became a singer in the first place so the love is there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmmm. Going to see AC/DC in London for the sign off tour and have been a fan fever since I first heard highway to hell as a kid. I was devastated when Bon Scott died and still think that his vocal is THE vocal is far better than anything Brian Johnson did...yes including Back in Black.

AC/DC are famously adept at binning members as and when it suits. They've even retired Malcolm young without so much as a shrug...when Phil Rudd had his "issues" in NZ they just carried on without him but let's face it...AC/DC is Angus..its his guitar that people turn out to hear and that takes an otherwise tight but unremarkable blues/boogie/metal band into a monster of rock.

Axl Rose WAS G&R as much as slash was so the marriage of an icon from one genre fronting another might just work. He cites AC/DC as the reason he became a singer in the first place so the love is there.

I've looked at some recent GnR footage and he's performing in a wheelchair. Maybe the promoter can let his tyres down....thid should stop his usual antic of going AWOL at show time.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I've looked at some recent GnR footage and he's performing in a wheelchair. Maybe the promoter can let his tyres down....thid should stop his usual antic of going AWOL at show time.

I'm expecting them all to roll out in wheelchairs if I'm honest. The lot of them are well past retirement and should probably be in a home somewhere.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I love a bit of AC/DC and that first GnR album is a fine piece of rock n roll but Axl is a grade a cock with a terrible voice. Yes I know Brian wasn't exactly Pavarotti, but the whole thing just seems a bit cynical. It' time to admit the end has come.

Jul 7, 2003

That's no wheelchair - that is Dave Grohl's mobile throne which Axl borrowed after breaking his foot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here