Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes not good enough for the Albion

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
We got £750m for Barnes and paid £2m for Baldock - probably reversing that would be closer to the real situation.

£750m would have been a decent price. I think it was only one thousandth of that.

Great to see him as a premiership regular. He was and is class. We really miss his link-up play around the box.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When I think of barnes at the albion I think useless...Nothing's changed regardless of his 1 goal every 7 games for burnley including the championship last season.

If he scored 1 in 16 people would still do a thread about how good he is after scoring a rare goal...Normally its penalties that helps him but guess not today.

No loss regardless of our position

He's out scoring all our forwards in the Premier League. Yeah, useless.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When I think of barnes at the albion I think useless...Nothing's changed regardless of his 1 goal every 7 games for burnley including the championship last season.

If he scored 1 in 16 people would still do a thread about how good he is after scoring a rare goal...Normally its penalties that helps him but guess not today.

Ashley did so much more than score goals and he was out of posistion for many games for us.
Ashley brought out so much that is wrong with many Brighton fans at times it was just embarrassing to listen to the anti Barnes brigade both at the Amex and on NSC

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I like Barnes but £750m was a good return.

I like Barnes, but £750m was only a good return because his contract was about to run out in the summer. If the club -- and all those that enjoyed slating him on here -- had realised what he did for the team, they'd have done all they could to extend his contract, rather than let it run down.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
However if we had gambled and a gamble worth taking for the prize and we had gone up with his help, do you not think 1: we reached the jackpot of the Premiership or 2: he would want to stay because we had reached the jackpot. In my opinion which counts for nothing to be honest, but it was a gamble worth taking and the board bottled it for in the end we got 750k and spent 2m on what ????

This. With knobs on.
Cheap, short termist thinking by whoever made the decision. Sent out worrying signals at the time - which have proved to be far worse than we feared

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I hope the idiots that used to slag off Barnes are happy with themselves. Whilst not the motivating factor, I believe this played some part in him moving.

He was an all round good player at this level and still developing. He's never going to score 20 goals a season in the Premier League but he's doing a job. Where are we now?

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Some of my mates lived in the same road as Barnes - I don't think he wanted to leave but with the derisory offer we made him in relation to what burnley offered - as well as premier league footy, we left him with little real option.

Much like Murray...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I like Barnes, but £750m was only a good return because his contract was about to run out in the summer. If the club -- and all those that enjoyed slating him on here -- had realised what he did for the team, they'd have done all they could to extend his contract, rather than let it run down.

It was a shocking deal because we knew if we gave him a decent contract he'd have stayed and we'd still have a player that can play centre forward, link from midfield with the forwards or play wide. People like [MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION] quote his scoring stats completely out of context with him being used as a midfielder for much of Gus's time, often the same at Burnley with only a short spell up front for us last season when Ulloa was injured - and he did pretty well including that goal of the season at Bournemouth. Same at Burnley when Ings is out, Barnes can step up.

To think what we've spent on Baldock in particular, shocking, really shocking poor bit of business.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He's out scoring all our forwards in the Premier League. Yeah, useless.
Doesn't this just sum up the mentality of many posters on here?
Obsessed with ex players and ex managers when things are going wrong?
If Baldock or colunga were banging them in he wouldn't be mentioned I can assure you...Time for many to grow up and move on as this ridiculous obsession is beyond belief.

Get him back get so and so back bla bla bla...most if not all that do come back are facking shite.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
One of my favourite Albion players. But he wanted to go, Never a good idea in my opinion to keep unhappy players. His contract was up at the end of last season anyway, and if we had held on to him we risked losing him for nothing. Much better that we sold him in the January transfer window for less than his market value. At least we made some money from it. He came to us on a free transfer remember.
It was an awful piece of business - see the rest of thread for explanation

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was a shocking deal because we knew if we gave him a decent contract he'd have stayed and we'd still have a player that can play centre forward, link from midfield with the forwards or play wide. People like [MENTION=5729]sir albion[/MENTION] quote his scoring stats completely out of context with him being used as a midfielder for much of Gus's time, often the same at Burnley with only a short spell up front for us last season when Ulloa was injured - and he did pretty well including that goal of the season at Bournemouth. Same at Burnley when Ings is out, Barnes can step up.

To think what we've spent on Baldock in particular, shocking, really shocking poor bit of business.

I'm not so sure that we're in disagreement.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The most embarrassed I've been at The Amex was when Barnes stepped up to take that penalty, during his long scoreless run whilst Ulloa was out last year and there was an audible groan from the crowd as well as isolated pockets of abuse.

He stepped up and buried it. That showed immense character, something I feel our current squad is lacking

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Ashley did so much more than score goals and he was out of posistion for many games for us.
Ashley brought out so much that is wrong with many Brighton fans at times it was just embarrassing to listen to the anti Barnes brigade both at the Amex and on NSC

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The most embarrassed I've been at The Amex was when Barnes stepped up to take that penalty, during his long scoreless run whilst Ulloa was out last year and there was an audible groan from the crowd as well as isolated pockets of abuse.

He stepped up and buried it. That showed immense character, something I feel our current squad is lacking
Seconded, remember it well. Ashley's attitude & application was as good as just about any Albion player I can think of

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here