Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Laura Plummer

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Might not even be prescription.I used to work with people who brought back shed-loads of antibiotics and painkillers from Thailand.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
it isn't very difficult to find out about tramadol in Egypt.

https://www.economist.com/news/midd...avourite-recreational-drug-pill-work-and-play

Drug abuse in Egypt
A pill for work and play

A painkiller becomes Egypt’s favourite recreational drug

Print edition | Middle East and Africa
Apr 18th 2015 | CAIRO
THE little pills of Tramadol are ubiquitous in Egypt. Taxi drivers take them to stay awake on the road. Men use them to improve their sexual prowess. Petty officials readily accept them as a bribe. And wedding guests even receive them as token gifts. Tramadol has become Egypt’s favourite recreational drug, supplanting heroin and cannabis.

An opioid prescribed as a painkiller, Tramadol has a reputation for improving alertness and male sexual stamina—qualities much sought after in a country where people often have several jobs to make ends meet and where few women find it easy to experience orgasm because of widespread female genital mutilation. “It just makes you feel relaxed. Even if there are two men fighting to the death beside you, you wouldn’t care,” explains Taha, a bank teller, as he buys pills from a pharmacist willing to turn a blind eye. He says the drugs help him at work.

Until recently, Tramadol was selling for one or two Egyptian pounds a pill ($0.15-$0.3). It offers an affordable buzz in a country where average household income is less than $4,000 a year. “There is no social stigma attached to Tramadol,” says Hisham Mamdouh, who heads a Cairo rehabilitation centre. At least 40% of those attending his clinic are addicted to the pills. Among them is Ibrahim, a socially awkward 17-year-old schoolboy. As a child, he took just half a tablet. “I found myself feeling unusually outgoing and positive,” he says. Ten years on, he was ingesting a whole sheet of ten tablets a day and even then the effects quickly wore off. The symptoms of overuse include dizziness, shivers (many suffer these), headaches, difficulty sleeping, nausea and seizures.

The growth of Tramadol use accelerated after the uprising of 2011 that swept away the former dictator, Hosni Mubarak. In part the reason lies in the weakening of state controls. Drugs flooded in from India and China in little-inspected containers, says Ehab El-Kharrat, a doctor who heads the Freedom, Drugs and HIV Programme, a local NGO that runs the clinic. He says more funding is needed for rehabilitation and public-health education—largely absent in Egypt.

Egypt is a transit point for pharmaceuticals shipped to nearby countries. Customs inspections under President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi have recently been tightened. In 2013 the government seized 35m pills which, it said, had been smuggled in. Pharmacists caught dealing on the side in theory face long prison sentences. The price of Tramadol has risen sharply, at one point reaching $1-$3 a pill. “Since then we have seen a flood of people seeking help,” says Mr Kharrat.

Yet enforcement is poor. Court cases are thrown out because of shoddy police work. Officers are often in cahoots with the drug dealers, or are themselves drug-users. And even if the government succeeds in restricting the supply of Tramadol, there may be unintended consequences. If the pills become more expensive, users may switch to stronger heroin. Some worry that the worst of Egypt’s drug problem is yet to come.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'll stick to selling ersatz antibiotics in post war Vienna.

....this would have worked if I'd changed my avatar.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

https://www.economist.com/news/midd...avourite-recreational-drug-pill-work-and-play

Drug abuse in Egypt
A pill for work and play

Apr 18th 2015 | CAIRO
THE little pills of Tramadol are ubiquitous in Egypt. Taxi drivers take them to stay awake on the road. Men use them to improve their sexual prowess. Petty officials readily accept them as a bribe. And wedding guests even receive them as token gifts. Tramadol has become Egypt’s favourite recreational drug, supplanting heroin and cannabis.

An opioid prescribed as a painkiller, Tramadol has a reputation for improving alertness and male sexual stamina—qualities much sought after in a country where people often have several jobs to make ends meet and where few women find it easy to experience orgasm because of widespread female genital mutilation. “It just makes you feel relaxed. Even if there are two men fighting to the death beside you, you wouldn’t care,” explains Taha, a bank teller, as he buys pills from a pharmacist willing to turn a blind eye. He says the drugs help him at work.

Until recently, Tramadol was selling for one or two Egyptian pounds a pill ($0.15-$0.3). It offers an affordable buzz in a country where average household income is less than $4,000 a year. “There is no social stigma attached to Tramadol,” says Hisham Mamdouh, who heads a Cairo rehabilitation centre. At least 40% of those attending his clinic are addicted to the pills. Among them is Ibrahim, a socially awkward 17-year-old schoolboy. As a child, he took just half a tablet. “I found myself feeling unusually outgoing and positive,” he says. Ten years on, he was ingesting a whole sheet of ten tablets a day and even then the effects quickly wore off. The symptoms of overuse include dizziness, shivers (many suffer these), headaches, difficulty sleeping, nausea and seizures.

The growth of Tramadol use accelerated after the uprising of 2011 that swept away the former dictator, Hosni Mubarak. In part the reason lies in the weakening of state controls. Drugs flooded in from India and China in little-inspected containers, says Ehab El-Kharrat, a doctor who heads the Freedom, Drugs and HIV Programme, a local NGO that runs the clinic. He says more funding is needed for rehabilitation and public-health education—largely absent in Egypt.

Egypt is a transit point for pharmaceuticals shipped to nearby countries. Customs inspections under President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi have recently been tightened. In 2013 the government seized 35m pills which, it said, had been smuggled in. Pharmacists caught dealing on the side in theory face long prison sentences. The price of Tramadol has risen sharply, at one point reaching $1-$3 a pill. “Since then we have seen a flood of people seeking help,” says Mr Kharrat.

Yet enforcement is poor. Court cases are thrown out because of shoddy police work. Officers are often in cahoots with the drug dealers, or are themselves drug-users. And even if the government succeeds in restricting the supply of Tramadol, there may be unintended consequences. If the pills become more expensive, users may switch to stronger heroin. Some worry that the worst of Egypt’s drug problem is yet to come.

Naughty pharma.

It's getting harder to make a living out of nicotine.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If she was carrying 300 tramodal(sp) for her Egyptian boyfriend, how did she get so many prescription only drugs in this country?

Has Boris said she's his dealer yet?

I wondered - if they were prescription, surely the prescription was written for her by a doctor, why was she taking them to somebody else. Sounds odd to me. Also, if I was travelling somewhere with drugs - even if they were for me - especially the Middle East, I would make damn sure i had something in writing saying it was ok. There have been too many stories down the years of this sort of thing.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
More to it than her story, wonder if she was bringing them for her 'boyfriend' to sell ???

hopefully Boris doesn't get involved otherwise it will be 30 years

The only people who believe her version of events are the UK media (no surprise there,the principal is a photogenic white woman with a winning smile) and the local MP.

She knew exactly what she was doing,and now it's retribution time.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Why is this case getting so much publicity?

She's done the crime, got caught, so now she's got to do the time.

No sympathy here, if it was a foreign national smuggling drugs into the U.K. The press would be screaming for a long sentence.

NODC

Apr 19, 2012

Drug abuse in Egypt
A pill for work and play

Apr 18th 2015 | CAIRO

So she did all this for a few hundred
dollars? Bet she regretting that life choice

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The only people who believe her version of events are the UK media (no surprise there,the principal is a photogenic white woman with a winning smile) and the local MP.

She knew exactly what she was doing,and now it's retribution time.

This.

There seems to be an inherent assumption amongst the UK media that any foreign justice system which finds a Brit guilty of anything must be flawed.

They totally overlook the fact that the person may actually have done something wrong. Remember Louise Woodward?

I have no sympathy either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I had a serious addiction to the painkiller tramadol a few years ago. The feeling I can relate it to was like amphetamines without being noticeably off my head. They're very pleasureable for some people, although I never found it increased my libido. Just a lot more energy and a feeling of well-being. Now I'm on a small amount of Subutex. I've never used heroin but I can understand and empathise with people that do (apart from stealing directly from people to feed their habit).

Laura Plummer is going to have to do her time. She knew what she was getting herself into. Three years is harsh when you compare it to those girls caught in Peru in 2013 with around 3kg of cocaine and served just over double that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Smuggling illegal drugs into a middle eastern country? I guess one way she could look at it is that she's lucky it's not a death penalty. She should hope Boris doesn't put his oar in - if he does it probably will be!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
My wife was prescribed 50 Tramadol for back spasms a while back of which she used two. She could quite easily have gone back and got more if she was so minded.

I used them for some severe tooth pain a while back and they were pretty good.

The advice about Tramadol wasn't even on the home office website when she traveled. Reading between the lines, she doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the box but of course the hang 'em flog 'em brigade on here are obviously quite excited by the prospect of a naive woman committing suicide in an Egyptian prison for making a mistake....

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Niaive, stupid, ill informed, in love, calculating, manipulative or well meaning. She broke the law and must face the justice system in that country. She got caught, she goes to jail, anyone else thinking of doing the same thing?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
This.

There seems to be an inherent assumption amongst the UK media that any foreign justice system which finds a Brit guilty of anything must be flawed.

They totally overlook the fact that the person may actually have done something wrong. Remember Louise Woodward?

I have no sympathy either.

Was she the Pasty fan who also posed as a Nanny?
She seemed to thrive on prison scran if my memory serves Me.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'd probably pay for a light flogging.

I'd definitely pay to administer a thorough shagging .....
plummer.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here