Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
People move all over the world. Are they going to stop you buying property in France because we are no longer members of the EU then? If you do get to France, make sure you learn the language. You won't find documents translated in to 20 different languages like you do here. You have to integrate, not like here.

Not in France, but being non EU will restrict your options to buy land or property in about a dozen EU countries.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Many remainers - me included - voted as we did because we honestly felt it was in our children's interests.

My Father voted remain because he thought it in his grandchildren's interests. After serving 2 years in The RAF, he spent the next 35 as a public servant teaching others and being the patriot he is, he is the only person I know who has physically seen England in world cup finals at Wembley, Lords and Twickenham. When he first qualified as a teacher he actually had the misfortune of having an A-Level class with a pupil named 'Portillio' who went on to notoriety in later life. Somehow my father copes with the guilt and shame to this day about that.

As a lifelong Liberal/Liberal Democrat extremist loon like yourself, who I had to vote proxy for back in June, I have been informed that as voting in that way was so hassle free and the way forward for him, next time I am to be instructed to vote Labour for him for the first time in his life as his granddaughter told him 'Corbyn is cool Grandpa' and he's had enough of British politics/he hates The Tories that much now.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Surely,history,since we have been in the EU,states that there were just a few Nazis oppressing 46 million brave German freedom-fighters,and they are all jolly fine people now?

I think if you had been a German in 1939, given your willingness to blame the E.U. for all woes in Britain, you would have been as fond of Herr Hitler as you are of Farage today, at least at the start of things.

An interesting view on why Germany invaded Poland here, I seem to recognise the style.
http://research.calvin.edu/german-propaganda-archive/wehr02.htm

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think the EU has done pretty well over the years don't you. How many billions do we pay a year again?

About 2/3rds of what we spent on foreign aid, when you consider the benefits of membership of the EU, seems a cracking deal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
NONE OF THE GRIZZLERS HAVE BEEN AFFECTED BY THOSE LEVELS that's why they can't see a problem, I'M ALRIGHT JACK nobody's infiltrating my cosy neighbourhood???
regards
DR

I was a Bricklayer, immigration from Eastern Europe did hit my pay packet. I think Tony Blair should have used the brake that was afforded to him the first seven years, not really the EU's fault that he did not is it?
I no longer lay bricks, but my mates still on the trowel are earning a good whack these days.

Jan 30, 2008
I was a Bricklayer, immigration from Eastern Europe did hit my pay packet. I think Tony Blair should have used the brake that was afforded to him the first seven years, not really the EU's fault that he did not is it?
I no longer lay bricks, but my mates still on the trowel are earning a good whack these days.
Fair comment
regards
DR

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Coo,look at all that wasted money.That could have been spent on the NHS.No,that's silly.Let's spend it on moving the EU Parliament,and other sensible projects.:lolol:

Yeah that is a daft practice, takes nearly a hundred Million a year out of the budget. It's like a mini Brexit, a load of upheaval at great expense with no good reason behind it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
About 2/3rds of what we spent on foreign aid, when you consider the benefits of membership of the EU, seems a cracking deal.

37p per capita per day, somehow the potential downside is just a little bit more than

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
But there have been crack downs on non EU migration over the years. Specific tiers for work permits have been suspended when abuse has been found, salary thresholds for skilled work permits have been increased, the skills shortage occupational list is constantly amended, language skills have been introduced in some sectors, fake colleges for mostly non EU citizens have been shut down, marriage scams for non EU citizens get investigated, criminal records check certificates have been introduced, sponsorships for non EU students have been tightened, right to rent rules on landlords have come into play.
Because there has not been a massive downsurge in non EU migrants is by the by,governments can always do better,but your point that non EU migrants have not been cracked down on is more of your fake news.
Why if freedom of movement is so wonderful and borderless zones are such a great EU cherished ideal do you not push for this to be extended globally, surely whats good enough for one group is good enough for all? Is it because you actually like the security that immigration rules provide?

Any nation that can meet the conditions of becoming a member of the EU, whether or not that country is in fact in Europe, would be a welcome addition.

Why if freedom of movement is so awful and borders are such a great cherished ideal, do you not push for this to be extended internally, surely whats good enough for one group is good enough for all? Is it because you actually like the freedom that having no internal borders provides?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Any nation that can meet the conditions of becoming a member of the EU, whether or not that country is in fact in Europe, would be a welcome addition.

Why if freedom of movement is so awful and borders are such a great cherished ideal, do you not push for this to be extended internally, surely whats good enough for one group is good enough for all? Is it because you actually like the freedom that having no internal borders provides?

Oh come on......don’t be silly, there is not the same equivalence between The United Kingdom and The European Union, The UK is in its entirety a nation in its own right,The EU is not a nation, but well done for avoiding answering one question, which obviously poses difficulties for you to answer by asking another with no relevance.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh come on......don’t be silly, there is not the same equivalence between The United Kingdom and The European Union, The UK is in its entirety a nation in its own right,The EU is not a nation, but well done for avoiding answering one question, which obviously poses difficulties for you to answer by asking another with no relevance.

I answered, I said that any country able to meet the conditions for joining the EU would be a welcome addition, and that includes to share living space.

The EU requires it's prospective members to run their affairs to certain standards, they do not just let anyone join on a whim. To ask if because some of us are wanting to have the freedom to live and work within a group of countries with shared values, and aspects of shared law, would we logically want no borders with anyone, is far more absurd than my suggestion that you would want borders within the UK if you think they are so essential to our safety.

People move from areas within the UK where there is little work or opportunity, to other areas, for work, or to commit crime, or acts of terror.

Most acts of terrorism in the UK have been committed by persons who were UK citizens, most crimes in the UK, are committed by UK citizens, most competition for jobs in the UK comes from other UK citizens, all these problems could be improved for those of us born and bred in the South East, if we only let in just enough Jocks and northerners to fill the jobs us soft southern shandy drinkers don't want to do, whilst vetting them for their criminal records and ideological sympathies.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I answered, I said that any country able to meet the conditions for joining the EU would be a welcome addition, and that includes to share living space.

But if the principle of freedom of movement and no borders was so wonderful you would advocate it now from non EU nations as well, not just those in your club, its telling none of you do and actually acknowledge the need for borders and the need for control of immigration. Which makes it rather absurd you criticise a section of the country that is doing nothing more than calling for a principle of control you agree with.

The EU requires it's prospective members to run their affairs to certain standards, they do not just let anyone join on a whim. To ask if because some of us are wanting to have the freedom to live and work within a group of countries with shared values, and aspects of shared law, would we logically want no borders with anyone, is far more absurd than my suggestion that you would want borders within the UK if you think they are so essential to our safety.

But just as I thought, freedom of movement of people to people like you is nothing more than treating people like products, similar to livestock for the betterment of something that is nothing more than a political and economic belief system.
Im not surprised the majority of the planet does not share your freedom of movement vision between nations.

People move from areas within the UK where there is little work or opportunity, to other areas, for work, or to commit crime, or acts of terror.

Most acts of terrorism in the UK have been committed by persons who were UK citizens, most crimes in the UK, are committed by UK citizens, most competition for jobs in the UK comes from other UK citizens, all these problems could be improved for those of us born and bred in the South East, if we only let in just enough Jocks and northerners to fill the jobs us soft southern shandy drinkers don't want to do, whilst vetting them for their criminal records and ideological sympathies.

What you are saying is curtailing freedom of movement, improves job prospects, reduces criminality and increases safety against terrorism , cool strawman story

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
OK, so your post was based on a dim recollection of some person or another saying something a year or so ago but you're not sure exactly when. A bit thin isn't it? I note that, and also the fact that you have ignored my second point and question.

I'm not sure what Hyporbolic crap is but it may be a reference to your claim that someone made a sweeping statement during 2016. My god, what's this thread coming to? I blame blood-soaked Geman bitches myself.

Considering the tsunami of hyperbolic crap in this thread about how we are all doomed because of Brexit I did rather well to remember a specific example. Your second point where you tried to suggest someone saying our childrens future is ruined because of Brexit is the same as someone saying they voted for what they thought was in the best interests of future generations?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Your second point where you tried to suggest someone saying our childrens future is ruined because of Brexit is the same as someone saying they voted for what they thought was in the best interests of future generations?

Apologies, but I can't understand what you're trying to say.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
See post #35983.

Well yes, I recall what I posted.

Where did I suggest that someone saying 'our childrens future is ruined because of Brexit is the same as someone saying they voted for what they thought was in the best interests of future generations'?

As I recall it was you who introduced the concept of futures being ruined - I simply said that I voted for what I thought would be best for my children.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Can just hear the BBC lunchtime news now.(Puts on sneeriest BBC voice) 'Despite Brexit,more fairly good news for the economy,but Camel is sure it won't last'.......

hoorah.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here