Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AFC Bournemouth vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Quality or not, if we don't create any chances any striker would score a blank. It's our lack of ball retention and ability to build attacks in many games that's the worry.

I tend to agree with this, we are definitely short of quality strikers but the fact we create very few chances is much more worrying

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
took the half day to drive down from London for what was IMHO pretty dire. Only positives for me were the two irish lads in midfield (although CH is unlikely to allow them anywhere near the first team). If we were protecting first team am not sure why he doesn't throw on Tilley rather than a full back with 10-15mins to go. OK its a tin pot cup and 100 times less important than Sunday but confidence building opportunity lost. Long drive back now - happy days

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Let's put this in perspective....due to injuries to strikers and central midfielders, we had to play a weakened 2nd team as we can't take risks In certain positions. It was a fitness run out for squad players. Bournemouth's team had many players that have regularly played in their first team. Our priority is the PL. we lost, but it's not worth getting despondant about...it's Sunday that's the crucial game.

It's not only a fitness run out for the squad players but it's also a fitness run out for all the negative Seagulls/Chris Hughton/ squad/ lack of striker trolls who had to have a week off after the WBA game. If they don't keep typing maybe their computers seize up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Chris Wood scoring every game, just saying

He scored a penalty. Against a Championship side.

Chris Wood is a good striker. He is very good at what he does and he is a good fit for Burnley's style. We are set up to play defensively away from home and to break quickly with pacy attackers. We may not all agree with this approach, but that is obviously the plan and we tried to bring in players to fit the plan. It is a real disappointment to us all that we didn't manage to sign one of the pacy strikers we were in for, but we weren't in for Wood. We were never in for Wood, because he was not the type of striker we were after.

We are in the process of trying to build a competitive premier league squad and some parts are easier to buy than others. We are competing against teams who have not only had longer to build, but have also had hundreds of millions of pounds more than we have had to do it. This season is going to be very difficult and largely frustrating and its no use pretending whenever things don't go our way that there were easy answers that the club ignored because they don't know as much as the fans. As Redknapp would have it, we are currently down to the bare bones. With recent injuries to Sidwell, Kayal, Baldock, Brown, Murray, Bong, Bruno and perhaps Gross we don't need more matches. We have gone out in extra-time away to a team that should have expected to win on paper. We didn't disgrace ourselves and hopefully nobody else is out for Sunday. In the current situation, that'll do.

adub68

Jul 25, 2013
Could be many reasons, the player have picked up a knock during the game. Would you prefer him to risk injury just to get Tiley on?

Of course not but I recall he took off a full back and replaced him with another full back - rather than put on a forward

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I can't remember a time when a league cup performance was ever an indicator of how well our season might go. In fact, in recent years, I'm fairly sure that the poorer the cup run, the better the ultimate league outcome. I'm not sure why people are getting so upset. Although, if I'd spent time and money to actually go along and watch the game, then I'd be pretty damned miffed.

Er, got to the heady heights of round 3 last season. On that basis, we're doomed...

D

Deleted member 2719

Good defending is entertaining. Football is not all about attacking and stepovers and tricks.

I played in defence for years and i would agree it can be if your playing in defence, but to watch it week in and out it will just be painful, strikers do not need to be having baron spells due to lack of service and supporters deserve to watch us having ago shirley???

theboybilly

How did the fat Colombian get on?

Very willing but obviously (at least to me) short of match fitness. I really don't know where he was meant to be playing as he was all over the pitch. There was one moment when he seemed a tad fed up.
Almost everybody I spoke to (most before extra time) said how boring the game was and how reluctant Albion were to pass forward

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This game is completely meaningless. Last season we went out of the fa cup to a non league side.

The match on Saturday is looking pretty huge at the moment. Win and we are sitting pretty and can afford to take a point from the next 2 matches.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Anyone know why we played Bournemouth twice in succession and wore two different strips? I thought the change strip was just to be worn if the home strip clashed?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Anyone know why we played Bournemouth twice in succession and wore two different strips? I thought the change strip was just to be worn if the home strip clashed?

You did?

I thought teams had been "choosing" for years which strip they wore away.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Being good a defending all over the pitch is great, however we are in the entertainment business, watching matches we have little chance in scoring in makes it somewhat dull IMO.

Let's hope we can be more adventurous sometimes without the fear of god of conceding.

No, we are in the results business.

Dull football that yields a higher points total (and hopefully safety) at the end of the season is surely better for the club than entertaining football that means we are less likely to survive? - As pointed out on another recent thread, our best season in terms of league position during and at the end of the season was achieved when we were playing dull football and it was the fans insistence on more exciting, attacking football that led to the change in manager and change in our fortunes for the worst on the pitch.

We scored 3 vs West Brom, we scored 1 and had at least one cleared off the line as well as hitting the crossbar vs Bournemouth so I don't see how it can be described as little chance of scoring a goal

This game was always going to be a nothing game, if we were winning, great but if we ever fell behind, we were never really going to go to try to turn it around, (the same as our cup exploits last season) as the league is far more important. We have to prioritise and the league must be our main focus.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Too soon to get it washed. Knockys mum was doing the kit this week.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Maybe not exactly awe inspiring, but it's a run out for the second string players and it's less crappy games to deal with the okey koke cup, which means more concentration on PL, IMO of course.

If that's the best the second string have got then boy are we in trouble can't work out why Tilley not given a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We all know we are going to field a shite team, however, the first half was pretty even and there was the remote hope we might go for it in the second. However, I can't help but feel that the management were disrespectful to both fans and to the players that they kept on the pitch for the entire second half. We were under the cosh for 45 minutes with no respite other than the golden opportunity for Murphy which he characteristically spurned. The only reason we were still in the game was the woeful shooting by Bournemouth. The game was crying out for either Knockhaert or March but Hughton did nothing until we went behind so it was nothing more than a token gesture.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here